It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:57

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Paper Sleeves VS Plastic Sleeves
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I for one cannot stand the plastic sleeves, they crinkle and crumble and are generally useless.

The sturdier paper ones (sometimes with plastic anti-static lining) are amazing. I would like to upgrade my entire collection to using these paper sleeves.

Has anyone come across anyone that sells them in bulk, maybe 100 packs or more? Now---Not the record LP holders mind you, which have the hole in the middle and edges, but legit lasterdisc ones.

I wonder how hard it would be to get them made in china or somewhere if there was enough interest?

Was watching The Fugitive last night with my wife, which comes on two discs, and fiddling with the plastic bags was annoying as ever.

Thanks for any insight; tips or tricks in this regard.

Post subject: Re: Paper Sleeves VS Plastic Sleeves
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In short; you don’t want this. You can already buy 12x12 sleeves aftermarket, they’ve been available for 70 years including round bottom poly ones. You don’t want anything but the annoying ones though unless the LD came with a paper one in the first place.

The topic comes up so often I’ve started putting together a video to explain why paper sucks. Paper-only is completely out of the question for several reasons, mainly because the heavy LD will rip through it and also paper has no anti static aspect so dust and hairs will stick to the media. The paper plus plastic ones usually are larger which causes the outer jacket to likely eventually burst.

This video, which I’ve been promising for at least two years, is in fact under construction. Filming is complete, editing is underway.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I agree with everything you are saying...

I guess i'm a fan of the paper ones, with the anti static plastic lining. When done right, these fit properly inside the cardboard sleeves and won't burst them over time.

I notice the cardboard on the spine bursts out the back a lot, and this is mostly with discs with the light plastic bags only. Because people will drop them in too fast, theyll slip a few inches and slam into the bottom of the cardboard.

So i guess....yes paper is bad (why i would not buy LP sleeves as replacements) so did anyone ever secure old stock of the paper/plastic hybrid inserts that are the best of both worlds? Or make new ones, that are currently being sold? Probably not, but thought i'd ask.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi rick_dangerous,

I use the poly lined sleeves to replace the onion skin/elephant condoms sleeves, they can also help prevent the LD bursting through or stressing the cover.

If you ask sellers the exact dimensions of the sleeves they are selling that may give you the info you require & help you find your ideal size, they can vary in size as you have mentioned.

Most lined sleeves that came new with LDs back in the day had the "hole in the middle" & that was with the US issued LDs & PDO pressed discs here in the UK, don't think I have seen any for sale without the holes but someone here may be able to point you in the right direction.

I bought a few that were ideal for LDs - perfect size with none of the sleeve sticking out of the cover & not too snug either, that included the slightly smaller Japanese LD covers which were what I was replacing most, can't remember who the seller was now though.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 22:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I use https://www.bcwsupplies.com/polylined-r ... re-corners

You can find them cheaper from other resellers than through their website.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 22:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
I use https://www.bcwsupplies.com/polylined-r ... re-corners

You can find them cheaper from other resellers than through their website.

Wait, you use these guys, but they are cheaper elsewhere?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I use those sleeves but I don't buy them from the manufacturer's website. They'll still be about 50 cents each which adds up quick, so I use them selectively. I'd be several $100 deep if I replaced them all.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just went to look and yes---I use BCW for my record (LP) storage and for external sleeves for my LD's. They make a really high quality product. Thanks so much!

So they make the internal paper with plastic lining inserts too eh? Awesome. Will have to take a look on ebay for them.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You can buy poly lined paper sleeves just like MGM or Disney movies but they all have an issue which is that the poly doesn’t actually go the full width, the edges are full paper so the LD tears through them eventually. They also usually don’t fit in Japanese sleeves without some cramming which is not an upgrade, clearly.

The annoying as hell “elephant condoms” really are the best. Far from unique to LD, Japan has used them for LPs since the 70s, most labels outside of Japan still use full paper unless it’s an audiophile release which annoys me to no end. (You have to go buy poly sleeves if you don’t want to brush paper detritus out of the grooves before every play). American releases tend to have the poly all jammed up from the factory but if you have one that isn’t wrinkled it’s not hard to keep them nice.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The elephant condoms are a bit easier to fit into Japanese sleeves because the cardboard stock is thicker and more rigid than western releases.

But if you're like me and store all your discs inside a vinyl sleeve over the jacket, you could probably get away with just shoving the elephant condom into the sleeves bottom first since the discs aren't gonna fall out with the vinyl sleeve on the way.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 01:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nah, you don’t want to “roll” the disc out. You want the opening at the top as you slide it in. That way every layer locks in the previous layer. If one’s EC is so crumpled that this is impossible then replace it with another EC and don’t trash it. They are crumpled because of previous users and/or the factory. It’s easy to keep them totally crumpled free. I’ve been doing it for decades.

You can tell which discs have been “rolled” in and out for years because the opening of the cardboard is often trashed by dozens of dings. When people use hardcore jackets like those ziplock ones the problem becomes twice as bad.

LDs/records will never be indestructible. The key isn’t to seal them up, it’s to develop ways to handle the things that don’t ruin them. Every time I watch a disc, off with the outer bag, then the inner bag and inserts and disc come out as one, then the disc comes out of the inner bag. I look at everything then when the movie is over I put it all back. Nothing is adhesive, ziplocked, or in any way upgraded over original.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 01:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
When people use hardcore jackets like those ziplock ones the problem becomes twice as bad.

These are the absolute worst. I have a stack of LaserLand branded ones I need to get rid of.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 01:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have about a dozen Disney discs I got from a guy and they are all massively dinged at the opening from those dumb ziplock bags.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 02:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yep. I've had some where I had to cut the LD out because over time the plastic material had shrunk and hardened. A nice dark yellow color.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 11:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Nah, you don’t want to “roll” the disc out.

Who does that?

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 11:35 
True fan
True fan

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Nah, you don’t want to “roll” the disc out.

Who does that?

Heathens.

I'll add my pony to this debate, the elephant condoms suck, but every single paper one I have is borderline falling apart or very brittle.

As far as covers for sleeves, I just use a very thin plastic slipcover to prevent my bookcase from damaging the edges when I pull one off of it.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 11:40 
True fan
True fan

Never had any luck putting the onion sleeves back in without completely crumpling them. Maybe I'm just heavy handed but honestly I hate them. Plus as others have mentioned they tend to punch through the jacket and ruin it. I really dont care if an lds jacket is damaged as long as the spine isn't damaged! That really irritates me. When you look at your laserdisc collection on the shelf and all the spines are blown out. :thumbdown:

Poly lined sleeves all day.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 13:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I really think US' sleeves must be different from the ones we got here then, because none of the paper sleeves I have are torn or whatever. Also the sticking out problem isn't really present, most of the time it's because the outer cardboard sleeve itself is shorter than the others so the paper stick out a little but not much.
Although I got used to the EC sleeves I got now and know how to handle them somewhat properly, I still thinks the paper+plastic most my discs came with are way superior, either for handling, built quality or looks, because let's be honest, they aren't called elephant condoms for nothing.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 14:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc fans have big swingin discs

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 17:22 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:
laserdisc fans have big swingin discs

Those poor, poor, UMD fans on the other hand... :lol: