It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:28

Page 9 of 44 [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 15:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This was a local find, for the equivalent of about $30, together with that movie.
Overall in good shape and works fine.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 20:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A recent arrival from Japan. Watched only the intro and first couple of tracks so far, but can confirm the PCM 2ch audio track here is stunning; especially so for a 1987 digital recording, but the really interesting thing for me is the fact that the video is originated using early Sony HDVS 1125i Hi Def kit and it certainly shows despite LD being an SD format, couldn't believe just how good this looks for something shot as far back as 1987 in 16:9 too! I reckon Sony missed a trick here by not releasing a Muse Hi-Vision LD version in the early 90s being that it was HD tape rather than film it would surely have made a great showcase for the format?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 21:49 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

A recent arrival from Japan. Watched only the intro and first couple of tracks so far, but can confirm the PCM 2ch audio track here is stunning; especially so for a 1987 digital recording, but the really interesting thing for me is the fact that the video is originated using early Sony HDVS 1125i Hi Def kit and it certainly shows despite LD being an SD format, couldn't believe just how good this looks for something shot as far back as 1987 in 16:9 too! I reckon Sony missed a trick here by not releasing a Muse Hi-Vision LD version in the early 90s being that it was HD tape rather than film it would surely have made a great showcase for the format?

never knew this existed. wonder what the picture looks like on a Sony TV. :lol: might have to pick this one up.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 22:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Don't know about a Sony TV xtempo, but pretty decent via 4K Sony PJ....I'd go for it!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 15:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
][/url]

Nice, but there's nothing unusual about good sounding JP discs from 1987. The Hi Def part is interesting. Are there other discs with this spec/branding? I don't really like Genesis.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 19:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's the the first I've seen as yet with spec/branding as such. Also seems to have been released on LD only in Japan; I too would be interested to know if there are any others, I do know of later stuff such as the Knebworth 1990 concerts that were originated on HD kit this is clearly evident by the excellent picture quality on the European PAL LD releases of which there were a set of three. Perhaps annoyingly for you though both Genesis and Phil Collins are featured on these performances too ;)
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 02:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks for the reply man

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 02:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some of you might remember me mentioning Mandarake as also selling laserdiscs, but although their prices are very good, the selection tends to be pretty naff so I don't check the LD section often...but this time, it was worth it.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 14:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You'll enjoy that Apes boxset

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2020, 21:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That lovely Genesis LD that LD Fan unknowingly forced me to buy arrived today. Minus obi alas but I don't mind.

My favourite discs get treated to a special inner sleeve too.

Also got my Fenix 5 back from Garmin today. Brand new replacement under warranty. Too much chlorine, sea salt and body sweat made one of the charging connectors rot completely off. Decent RMA process from Garmin if anyone here ever needs it.

EDIT: Just watched a good bit of the Genesis disc and WOW! That is all I can say. You can seriously tell the source is HD when they filmed it live. The audio though is just IMMENSE! The digital track surprised me. I will be capturing it for sure and putting that on my DAP. What a disc. Wow! :shock:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2020, 08:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice to hear you thought the same, don't think there's too much other video taped stuff around from 1987 that was shot in 16:9 either, although I'm sure someone here will soon tell me I'm wrong ;)

If you're up for another dose of Genesis with even slightly better (arguably) PCM audio check out Genesis "The Way We Walk Live" shot at Earls Court in 1991. Clearly not shot using Sony HDVS kit but still decent picture quality, I own the Pioneer LDCE version but I have a suspicion that this may have come from an NTSC master so it would be interesting to learn if the US and JP versions have the edge on PQ? Audio on this one though.....WOW!

Switching the topic from Genesis I last night managed to run my latest Muse Hi-Vision LD "Hills of the Seasons. Quite an eye opener is this one considering it must be one of the very earliest Muse LD releases (1990) with the video footage shot during 1987-88 on what was surely near enough 1st generation Sony HDVS equipment. I won't attempt to do a review as member @publius has already excellently done so on a Hi-Vision section thread some time ago, and on seeing the content myself now feel my opinion very closely aligns with what he describes in his review.

I have made a couple of half decent video clips from this LD so if anyone who is curious for a rough taste of what a Muse LD looks like please feel free to PM me.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2020, 07:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Welcome to the Planet Of The Apes boxset club :)
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 13:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Never been a huge PotA fan, but I couldn't resist the ¥1800 pricetag.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 18:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

The last laserdisc I purchased was Sheena. Tanya very beautiful!

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 11:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You don't deserve that box set Takashi, I hope you become a fan after watching them though.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 15:58 
True fan
True fan

Finally got my hands on the DTS copy of Con Air. Can't wait to watch this one.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Still hoping to get a DTS disc for my bit perfect audio setup. Con Air would be nice, well done you!

It's a breezy day outside today. These showed up at my door. It is somewhat bittersweet though as I was due to receive Fawlty Towers series one too, the seller lost the disc and refunded me.

A bit disappointing but I am sure I will find another, plus I have the USA box set in the mail too so not so bad.

EDIT: Skimmed through everything. The Fawlty Towers set is excellent though I don't understand why only one episode is in CAV, the rest are CLV.

Gone With The Wind is interesting, comparing this to the 70th Anniversary Blu Ray. The Blu is crisp and clean. Though there is some strange differences on the Laserdisc.

For a start it is 9 sides of CAV and in 4:3. The picture quality is excellent but also looks like a straight dump of the original negative. Dirt and cue marks everywhere.

Also some of the shots are framed properly and the rest you can see the full frame of the negative. I haven't got 1000 years to sit through both the LD and the Blu, but just to say that this LD set is definitely interesting.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 19:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Are you one of those guys that runs out and buys Michael Jackson or Kobe stuff when they die?

I swear I wasn't doing that when I bought Guffaw And Order: Looney Tunes Fight Crime [12953]. While an unlikely theme for a disc there are in fact many Looney Toons about cops and robbers.

Rocket Squad (1956) is a really good one that sort of combines Dragnet and Duck Dodgers elements. At first I was wondering why I didn't even remember seeing this before but the amazing amount of smoking, lighting of cigarettes, drawing on them, blowing the smoke out, etc, at one point with both Daffy and Porky doing this in perfect sync while staring into the camera and saying nothing...that sort of thing is probably the reason. This probably never played a lot on TV. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 19:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Are you one of those guys that runs out and buys Michael Jackson or Kobe stuff when they die?

You mean a scalper? Or a bandwagoner?

No.

Fawlty Towers is a favourite for years. It is great to know the LD's are completely uncut. I prefer to watch content that hasn't been liberally torn to shreds for whatever reason it may be.

Gone With The Wind was incidental. I got the 70th blu a while back and spotted the CAV set. It is actually a very good buy. I've since spotted Side 9 is some very cool.extras, including footage from the 1939 premiere. The booklet is superb too, it tells you where they got the print from, the transfer processes they did and the work involved.

Gone With The Wind may not be an appropriate film in 2020, but it still holds a lot of points of interest on many levels. I would prefer not to see some of those points erased and glossed over, but rather explained and perhaps used as educative tools for current and future generations.

Growing up in the UK/Ireland during a time when film censors were wielding garden shears instead of nail scissors feeds in to your curiosity to seek out the things that the censors felt grown adults were not, in their opinion, entitled to view.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 21:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:

Growing up in the UK/Ireland during a time when film censors were wielding garden shears instead of nail scissors feeds in to your curiosity to seek out the things that the censors felt grown adults were not, in their opinion, entitled to view.

Being an exhibitor from the early '80s some of the crap that we had to put up with was really pathetic, even after the BBFC (back in the day when the C stood for CENSORS) had done their stuff we often had local councils, the "church" & other people/groups who felt that they knew better what the general public could or should see. Films "banned" in one area but not others was often the case.

The last couple of features that caused a bit of a kerfuffle back when I was in the exhibition business were THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST & one that really divided opinion being NATURAL BORN KILLERS. The palaver surrounding both of them was really pathetic looking back on it all now. The carry-on that was caused by the release of THE LIFE OF BRIAN in the UK was something to behold - crazy days back then.

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (a British made feature) was released in the US five or so months before its UK release & it was hacked by the UK BBFC before the cinema release here in the UK - the bit below has details of the type of rubbish we had to endure in the UK.....

Fiend Without a Face created a public uproar after its British premiere at the Ritz Theatre in Leicester Square in London's West End. The British Board of Film Censors had demanded a number of cuts before its release and finally granted the film an "X" certificate, but newspaper critics were still aghast at its horrifying special effects. Questions were actually raised in Parliament as to why British censors had allowed Fiend Without a Face to be released, notably: "What is the British film industry thinking by trying to beat Hollywood at its own game of overdosing on blood and gore"

Good points well made teddanson, thanks :thumbup: .

Page 9 of 44 [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next