It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:44

Page 36 of 44 [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 16:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Save on the title for now, hope you get the disc, could have shipped and is stuck in the post office?
I had a package recently that was sent from upstate NY to me in DE which took over 3 weeks, but I did have a tracking number.

At least you will be covered with paypal if its too long a wait.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 18:03 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Save on the title for now, hope you get the disc, could have shipped and is stuck in the post office?
I had a package recently that was sent from upstate NY to me in DE which took over 3 weeks, but I did have a tracking number.

At least you will be covered with paypal if its too long a wait.

He never sent the invoice and is either ignoring my emails or maybe he got injured. Don't know what's going on. Contacted admin here and they told me he isn't responding to them either. It's whatever but a bit depressing because I really needed movie for my collection. I'm a bit annoyed.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2021, 14:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Star Wars Phantom Menace off of Ebay. One disc has a long crack on one side only and the other disc has 2 long cracks on one side that go into the label. Not shipping damage. Looks like someone tried to snap the discs in half. Will post images once I figure out how...

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 02:44 
True fan
True fan

The last two laserdiscs I purchased are CreepShow 2 and Watcher in the Woods. Sadly CreepShow 2 was sent to me with a crack in it. I know it wasn't cracked during shipping because CreepShow 2 appears to have it's original seal on it. I'm returning it to the seller. The disc is useless to me. I did however test it out in my player to see if it would play at all and it did shockingly enough and this isn't a little crack. It's a pretty deep crack but I only played the first couple minutes of it and knew it was bad because I noticed laserdisc rot or some kind of weird crap popping up which I'm assuming is associated to the crack or maybe this is also a disc rot disc. Is CreepShow 2 known as a rotter? Also, the film print from what I could tell of it was horrendous. It looked like a mild upgrade from the vhs if I had to take an educated guess. Definitely not a good laserdisc release. Even with it being an awful transfer I still was looking forward to having this in my collection. This movie usually sells for about 70-100 bucks online depending on the seller. I got it for around 30 buck but it sucks that it ended up being a bad copy of it.

Watcher in the Woods hasn't came in the mail and hopefully that one isn't in bad shape. That one was dirt cheap at around 14-15 dollars and I don't see Watcher in the Woods ld pop up online often. One bad thing about Watcher in the Woods is after I ended up winning the auction for that one I found out that it apparently has a horrendous transfer from what I read online. Hopefully what I read online is incorrect. Really hope Watcher in the Woods isn't an ugly transfer. I usually have good luck with laserdiscs and most of the ld's I own are good to great transfers. It's always disappointing to get one that isn't much of an upgrade over it's VHS counterpart. Especially since some of these used to sell for 30-40 bucks back in the day which obviously wasn't cheap back in the 90s. You'd think some of them would have better transfers with the prices people were paying back then.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 15:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This just arrived with today’s post….. the Teddanson influence strikes again! ;)

This will be a nice little 3hrs workout for my rather elderly but still nice CLD-2950.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 20:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
This just arrived with today’s post….. the Teddanson influence strikes again! ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/kXWd9qyc/441-CA8-A ... 33-D00.jpg

]https://i.postimg.cc/PJGFFv0k/653D180E-A17B-4067-9E57-BA5DBDCF48EB.jpg

This will be a nice little 3hrs workout for my rather elderly but still nice CLD-2950.

brilliant movie :clap: I should have on LaserDisc but don't. I do have a few different versions of it though. Will add it to the wishlist.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 00:36 
True fan
True fan

The last two laserdiscs that I received today are Howling II and Watcher in the Woods. I'm currently capturing Howling II right now. I forget which Howling II release it is. I see on lddb there's two US releases of this movie. One is the remastered version. Which ever version I have looks like it might be a half decent print so it's probably the remastered version. Oh yeah Howling II was given to me for free because I told the seller about how I wish he had packaged Night of the Creeps better so he told me to pick a laserdisc from his ebay listing and I went with Howling II. Pretty cool seller!!! :D

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 00:55 
True fan
True fan

I was wrong. It's not the remastered version. Wow, pretty nice image quality for not being the remastered version. I wonder if my LX-900 is doing the heavy lifting or if the remastered version of this laserdisc corrects something other than picture quality. Now I'm capturing The Watcher in the Woods and shockingly that film print isn't half bad either. I was a bit worried when I read a review online bashing on the laserdisc version of The Watcher in the Woods. I do not know which laserdisc player people are using to watch these movies but the majority of movies I watch on my Panasonic LX-900 revision 1995 look fantastic.

Edit: I think I know why Howling II was remastered. Apparently on the laserdisc version I own there's no song when the black credits roll. While I was screen capturing I found it odd how silent the credits were when the black credit screen rolled on. :lol:

Attachments:
howlingII.jpg
howlingII.jpg [ 391.5 KiB | Viewed 2300 times ]

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 11:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/kXWd9qyc/441-CA8-A ... 33-D00.jpg

]https://i.postimg.cc/PJGFFv0k/653D180E-A17B-4067-9E57-BA5DBDCF48EB.jpg

brilliant movie :clap: I should have on LaserDisc but don't. I do have a few different versions of it though. Will add it to the wishlist.

Thanks, and may I wish you a Happy New Year! I had a chance to sample the first few chapters before the New Year celebrations started yesterday and I’m sure I will be in full agreement with you after seeing the movie in its entirety :thumbup: This is the PAL release from 1995 supposedly the original widescreen full length version but the aspect ratio is a bit of an oddity as its more like 14:9 or 1.56:1 and sits rather uncomfortably on my 16:9 cinema screen but fortunately looks rather better on the 4:3 option with small black bars top and bottom, it would be interesting to know if the new 4k Blu-ray is framed similarly?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 11:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
This is the PAL release from 1995 supposedly the original widescreen full length version but the aspect ratio is a bit of an oddity as its more like 14:9 or 1.56:1 and sits rather uncomfortably on my 16:9 cinema screen but fortunately looks rather better on the 4:3 option with small black bars top and bottom, it would be interesting to know if the new 4k Blu-ray is framed similarly?

It appears (based on our database) that the film has an aspect ratio of 1.66 - 1. Not a super strange ratio as Disney’s original release of Beauty and the Beast on LD was presented this way (however the DVD and Blu ray are now using 1.78 - 1 to probably better fit 16:9 TV’s; not sure if there is lost framing due to this).

Anyway, I agree it is a bit of pain on how one decides to view the movie; leave it in 4:3 mode and you get a window box or switch to 16:9 and it slightly crops the tops and bottoms.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 03:23 
True fan
True fan

Paid more than I wanted for a copy of Freddy's Dead laserdisc. After 10 dollar shipping and taxes I was able to talk the seller down to 50 dollars but final price came to a little under $64. Originally I would have gotten it from here for a much better price at 30 bucks or so but the seller on here bailed on me. Don't know if he was attached to the movie or felt like he could get more money. Anyways he blew me off. Seems like Freddy's Dead is popping up less on laserdisc online lately. I remember seeing a couple copies of it on ebay in the past and I think on here on lddb. I just bought the final copy online. The seller originally wanted $75 plus 10 dollar shipping so that would have been closer to 90 dollars after taxes!!! I needed this movie to complete my Noes collection. Well it's mostly complete because I don't really give a damn about Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Not saying that's an awful movie or anything but I've never been a fan of a movie with-in a movie.

Attachments:
freddysdead.jpeg
freddysdead.jpeg [ 337.76 KiB | Viewed 2256 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 03:55 
True fan
True fan

Won Wild Wild West on an auction back on December 24th for 34 dollars plus 5 dollar shipping which in total came to $41.58. And after that I won Austin Powers International Man of Mystery laserdisc for $10.50 and $3.82 for shipping on an Auction. After taxes $15.27 which isn't a bad price for Austin Powers. However I think the real deal here is Wild Wild West. Don't see that movie pop up often and when it does it usually sells for more than what I paid for it. I've been spending way too much money on ld's lately. It becomes an addiction but I guess that's better to spend money on ld's then say drugs. It also gives me something to do with my Father. We bond while we watch laserdiscs. He's looking forward to watching Wild Wild West on ld. Oh yeah, the seller that sold me Wild Wild West is also giving me a free copy of Billy Madison with it. :)

Attachments:
wild wild west.jpeg
wild wild west.jpeg [ 116.38 KiB | Viewed 2236 times ]
austin.jpeg
austin.jpeg [ 223.9 KiB | Viewed 2236 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 08:27 
True fan
True fan

First LD package of the year.

Attachments:
271439872_766802524280710_1250279417062595214_n.jpg
271439872_766802524280710_1250279417062595214_n.jpg [ 434.95 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 11:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

I have the same edition of "Nuovo cinema paradiso", a beautiful extended version.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 11:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

This is the last laserdisc i bought. Spanish movie of 1991, I think this Italian edition is the only one in laserdisc of this movie...

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/34789/PL ... 1/Chatarra

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 16:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Another very similar type of movie if you haven’t already seen it, is Il Postino which also stars Philippe Noiret, I think this is an Anglo/French/Italiano production and another gem that is highly recommended!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 02:35 
True fan
True fan

I'm a bit pissed off right now. I've had bad luck lately. A computer monitor I ordered was sent to my house and was defective so we had to send it back and we still haven't gotten a refund from the seller because it took awhile to ship back to him. Then my 2tb mechanical hard-drive died on my gaming computer so it forced me to buy a PNY 1tb ssd for 74 dollars. Got a tiny deal on it because it was being sold brand new for 70 by an ebay seller. It wasn't a huge deal. It just seems like everything bad keeps happening to me lately and oh yeah I forgot to mention that someone sent me a cracked copy CreepShow 2 which they let me keep but literally no point to having it to me. Sure the artwork is nice but I don't want to risk putting a cracked disc into my player because I'm paranoid about it damaging or scratching up the inside of the player. My Dad says that won't happen but I rather not risk it since my Panasonic LX-900 is in like New condition.

Freddy's Dead Laserdisc just came in the mail and it has laserdisc rot. I put it into the player and the first thing my Father notices is all the artifacts popping up consistently and often almost in every single frame of the movie. I shut the movie off immediately and now am asking for a refund from the seller. I will gladly return this laserdisc rot to the seller for a full $$$ refund. Also, originally I was suppose to buy Freddy's Dead on here from someone that had a really nice deal on it but he ended up blowing me off. Now my Freddy Collection is incomplete. I only have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th movie. I wanted to complete it with Freddy's Dead but apparently that's not going to happen. I know some people think Freddy Dead sucks but I enjoyed it personally as a popcorn flick. Suck that I've had so much bad luck lately. So Freddy's Dead is a known rotter or did I just happen to get a bad release of it? Is it even worth tracking down anymore or will I have issues if I end up buying from another ebayer in the future. This disc might be prone to rotting?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 09:47 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I know "Il postino", but I don't have a laserdisc ...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 16:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had a copy of freddys dead years ago and it was perfect, wish I got more than the 25 for it now.....
So perfect playback is out there but you need to get a good price.
Make sure these re-sellers actually know that the disc has good playback.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 02:39 
True fan
True fan

Finally was able to get what appears to be a good laserdisc copy of Freddy's Dead. No rot on this one or if there is it's just small specs at times. I however have not watched the entire movie so maybe I should watch it before judging. This came all the way from Germany. At the time I purchased it there was no other copies on ebay. Then two popped up for around the price I paid for it on ebay and now only one is left on ebay which is a sealed copy which could have issues because it's always a gamble buying laserdiscs sealed. If you open it and it's bad you're pretty much out of luck at returning it because pretty sure that's not possible at that point. Definitely more benefits buying used laserdiscs over new by not risking any issues such as rot. Also I bought Deadtime Stories which is a sealed copy of it and the only reason I went with a sealed copy is because it was cheap at around a little over 20 bucks after tax. I was also suppose to receive the laserdisc today but I think my mail man accidentally dropped it at the wrong house. I really hope I get it tomorrow. I contacted USPS immediately and someone told me they have a tracker so they should know who they accidentally gave the package to.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 8.31.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 8.31.28 PM.png [ 414.88 KiB | Viewed 2077 times ]
deadtime stories.jpeg
deadtime stories.jpeg [ 305.9 KiB | Viewed 2077 times ]

Page 36 of 44 [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 44  Next