It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:49

Page 30 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 01:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Span the discs tonight and checked over all the scenes. It's all 100% intact. Saved a fortune over the ridiculous DVD prices and got a juicy AC3 track to boot!

Very happy to have it uncensored, seeing as it will likely never be released this way again.

Never heard of the censorship thing. I wonder if the Japanese release uses the same master?

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 09:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I looked in to it a bit recently after posting here. From what I have read only USA copies of the DVD, VHS (rental and retail) and Laserdisc were recalled. Less than half a million copies. Nothing states the Laserdiscs were recalled. Perhaps by 1998 it wasn't seen as worthwhile to recall and repress copies on Laserdisc?

Anything (Japan, HK, UK etc) outside of the initial run of USA copies I think can be deemed to be cut and digitally censored. The thing is, aside from the blurring of the statue, which is pretty crudely done, the trims and rearrangement of certain scenes end up making them nonsensical. Even on Blu Ray. As far as I know the court case over the statue will likely prevent the film ever being seen properly ever again. Unless perhaps a settlement is reached. That was offered up first time round and look what happened.

I don't know much at all about the DVD release other than in certain places it was mentioned it wasn't great? The Laserdisc is very VHS-esque in terms of picture quality, but it is presented properly and with decent audio too. Good old D-EXT or whatever it's called, on my R7G, makes it look a whole lot better though.

It's a good film. Having it uncut and delivered in the way it was intended to be viewed makes the Laserdisc all the more valuable to me to put in my silly collection of stuff. I want my films like my milk on my Corn Flakes. Full fat, straight from the teet and as God intended please. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 16:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Picked that one up when I was browsing through ebay on a whim. Saw that it had Charlotte Lewis in it. She was the female lead in Eddie Murphy's The Golden Child. Haven't seen too many movies with her in it, so I figured what hell?

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 23:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got a tub of discs thrown in to a box and punted over to New Delaware all the way from Japan today.

We're not off to a good start. This was described as a Special Collection disc. The shop either sent the wrong disc by mistake or flat out lied. Ah well you live and learn. It'll make for a good pizza plate.

Next up is His Girl Friday. I already have this on Criterion Blu. Someone here has a blog and wrote that the audio on the LD is better. So I want to see if that's true. Great film. Just take a couple of paracetamol before starting watching it.

Next up Fleetwood Mac. Someone on LDDB said this is a good edition of Tango In The Night. I hope so!

This is a curio for me from Japanese hip hop group Schar Dara Parr. It's a really interesting disc, full of different clips, tracks, beats and mixes. I know very little about it but it looks like it has huge potential!

Fantasia. I have the USA version. This is the Japanese version now. It was only ¥1. :D

Phil Collin's Hair: The Movie. I already have a copy of this. But it bugged me because it was missing the obi and the nice colour booklet. OCD? Yes. Very much so.

It's Mr. Big! Hoping that the audio on this disc is good. One to play loud when the house is empty!

Yes. A THIRD copy of Masayoshi Takanaka's Guitar Fantasia! Why?...

Here's why. This is the only other edition I've not heard. It seems to be even harder to find than the Digital version. Just the VHD and VHS to get now...

Not a Laserdisc but a Blu Ray steelbook of The Woman. A total blind buy.

1941. I've never seen this film. It was only ¥1. :D

It only took me a couple of years to find another Mind Control disc. This one is called Salome.

WAR BUS.

SAY IT OUT LOUD TO YOURSELF.

WAR BUS!!!

JUST FECKIN' LOOK AT IT! I CAN'T WAIT!

It took long enough but I finally got a copy of It Couldn't Happen Here for a sensible price. Finally i will be able to check if the audio is damaged like the Blu Ray. If it isn't, i'll mux it to a custom Blu.

Another Japanese copy of Cinderella. This one is the huge box version though. I think it's great to have these premium Disney sets. Proper versions of Disney classics before the Mouse went and censored everything.

Oh. And it was only ¥1. :D

Last up is a CD ROM and manga set called Pile Up by Masamune Shirow. I love Intron Depot so got this on a whim. It looks pretty good!

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 23:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

WAR BUS.
That's a rare one, not sure if its on bluray yet but no DVD.
Last order I tried to get one but it sold for over 50 not counting shipping, hope you got a good deal on it.

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 23:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I did indeed. A lucky stumble. I didn't know it was rare until after I got it though. I just like over the top mediocre films so this disc has gone to a good home where it will be watched and hopefully enjoyed, rather than gathering dust. :thumbup:

There is a sequel War Bus 2 that is on DVD and, I think, Blu Ray.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 01:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah have seen that but I don't think its really part of this film rather something to take the War Bus name.
Anyway let us know when you do a review, I did watch it, not a great film but right up your alley of oddball stuff.
The print was decent from what I remember just had burned in subs.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 07:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched the German trailer. It looks superb!

It's a USA, Philippines, Italy co-production I think? There's some great films made in the Philippines during the 1970's and 80's, mostly action and military stuff.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 11:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Those discs all look great except for Mr Big which, IIRC, is 80s c**k rock at its most mediocre and I’m sort of puzzled why it’s with all that other stuff.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 12:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m sort of puzzled why it’s with all that other stuff.

If it's not oddball or mediocre/sub-par stuff then I don't want it on my shelves. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 14:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I see...but in this lot it stands out as extra bad.

I had to Wiki Mr Big to make sure. There was another Mr Big prior to the horrible 80s band but this disc is in fact the later, the post-Poison and you sure can tell one.

Apparently they are a one hit wonder outside of Japan which seems to love every single metal band ever no matter what forever, probably even Anvil.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 14:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

at least they were live and kickin' at one time.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 16:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
I did indeed. A lucky stumble. I didn't know it was rare until after I got it though. I just like over the top mediocre films so this disc has gone to a good home where it will be watched and hopefully enjoyed, rather than gathering dust. :thumbup:

There is a sequel War Bus 2 that is on DVD and, I think, Blu Ray.

This is a wonderful post and the covers are awesome !!!

Can you please tell me more about these Mind Control discs ? What are these actually ? Sounds interesting.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 18:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm going to write a post about the Mind Control discs on my blog as I'd like to go in to them in depth (see my Cyberdelia post on my blog). They are very obscure. Similar to the Luminous Trip disc I got not so long ago (see the Laserdisc Reviews section on LDDB Forum for more on that disc).

I was going to post this here when these arrive but here's some seller photos.

I waited a year or so just to get one disc. Ophelia was my first disc. Fast forward a couple of years to yesterday and I got another disc, Salome.

Now you know the saying about waiting for a bus and two come along at once?

FOUR came along at once. :thumbup:

One of the discs is not listed on LDDB so I will add it when it arrives. I only have one more disc to get now. Who knows how long until that one comes along though?

I'll have two spare discs though once they arrive so happy to sell those on here if folks are interested.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 19:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Been awhile since I bought an LD but just snagged Martin from the market place here. An old 70s horror movie.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 04:13 
True fan
True fan

Brand new copy of Demonic Toys and it cost me a bit. I'm probably done collecting for a bit because I'm broke and I am starting to spend too much money on ld's again. It's an expensive hobby now a days.

Attachments:
s-l1600 (3).jpeg
s-l1600 (3).jpeg [ 305.9 KiB | Viewed 2177 times ]

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 12:44 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Brand new copy of Demonic Toys and it cost me a bit. I'm probably done collecting for a bit because I'm broke and I am starting to spend too much money on ld's again. It's an expensive hobby now a days.

The purchase is just super! But I agree with you - these days, laser discs are worth a fortune. Very often, looking at the prices, I regret that I did not buy some films or music in those days when it was worth a penny.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 13:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LD is not an cheap hobby. $1000 was normal for a player, $100 normal for a movie. That’s why DVD was invented.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 15:26 
True fan
True fan

Other day someone snagged a real nice looking copy of Tourist Trap laserdisc off eBay probably for about 60 bucks or 55 dollars if seller accepted best offer. That's a great horror movie in an ld collection and not a half bad price since I think it's another rarer or obscure laserdisc. It was a real nice looking copy. I didn't have money at the time so I missed it. Oh well, I can't be too greedy since I already have a pretty big collection of harder to find horror laserdiscs. Gotta share some stuff with other ld collectors. :lol:

signofzeta wrote:
LD is not an cheap hobby. $1000 was normal for a player, $100 normal for a movie. That’s why DVD was invented.

I think you're talking about what the value now a days would be equivalent to in 1992 when this ld released. Like the $34.95 back in 1992 is actually close to $70 after taxes. Also not sure if you guys knew this but I believe Demonic Toys and Dollman vs Demonic toys were not filmed in widescreen and if they were maybe the prints went bad because a bit of the top and bottom were cropped for the blu-ray releases. The dvd and laserdisc version shows more on screen.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 15:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Other day someone snagged a real nice looking copy of Tourist Trap laserdisc off eBay probably for about 60 bucks or 55 dollars if seller accepted best offer.

DAMN, I remember when I found a copy at a local record store for 3 bucks and took forever to sell it for 15 bucks, almost tossed it
since it sat around the house too long.....

And no LD was never a cheap hobby, now or then or even in between.
Sure you could get some deals, I've picked up some cheap deals on ebay or even Japan but also had to pay for stuff I wanted,
even paid for stuff I didn't want but knew it was a worthwhile purchase.

Its hard to sell off the LD when you know it originally cost like you said 25, 75 in todays money and you could buy the DVD for 5 bucks new
at wallyworld.

I just picked up a copy of Flash Gordon on DVD for a buck at the thrift store but I'm still on the fence to sell the LD for 30 on ebay.

Page 30 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next