It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:00

Page 1 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 21:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This is the bunch of discs I received today. Each picked for different reasons. I try to keep a tightly curated LD collection.

First up, Future Hunters. Blind buy. It's Vestron though so what's not to like?!

Next up, an all star cast! Rukus.

Another oddity. Bought this out of curiosity!

I liked the first two films so had to get this. Deathstalker 3!

Another blind buy. Modern Love!

Yet another blind buy, Men's Club!

A blind buy but afaik this one is on DVD but long OOP so very expensive?

Yet another blind buy, Dead Tired. I watched a few minutes of this earlier, it actually looks excellent!

Yes. Another blind buy. Brainstorm!

This one was on my wishlist. The First National Kidisc!

A promising BBC documentary, Sea Power. Sadly these discs look clean and new but actually play back completely rotten. I'm a bit sad about this as I can't find another copy.

Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 23:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A small updated. I just finished watching Dead Tired. I bought it completely blind but I'm so glad I did. It is absolutely magnificent. What a film!

Special mention for the audio quality of this disc too, it is absolutely tremendous. I urge you to track down this film, it's excellent. The ending took me a few minutes to get my head around but once I took it for what it was I was happy with it.

Such a good film. Track a copy down asap. I think you won't regret it. One of my favourite blind boys of all time!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 00:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Any particular reason you were after the Kidisc?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 00:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A couple. I like odd discs like this. One of my favourites in my collection is a Macross quiz disc. There's some interesting stuff on here to learn too. I want to make 11 different types of paper aeroplane! :)

I just like more interesting uses of the format. I write about similar stuff on my blog.

Quick mention again for Dead Tired, I'm still blown away by how good that film was tonight! :)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 00:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Tightly curated?? Are you joking right? They look like the most random titles I could think of> all look weird and great though, congratulations

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 01:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:

A promising BBC documentary, Sea Power. Sadly these discs look clean and new but actually play back completely rotten. I'm a bit sad about this as I can't find another copy.

Hi teddanson,

I don't think you will find a perfect copy of this title but we can all live in hope!

Had around three (perhaps four) copies pass through my hands years ago & all were pretty rotted, pretty sure one of them would not even load at all.

Lots of early PDO pressed LDs were poor even from new & unfortunately most of the BBC LDs are very often hard to find any good playable copies of them now, I must have gone through a dozen copies of Great Railways on BBCV 1008L in search of a fairly good playable copy without success.

Sea Power does crop up on ebay sometimes but unless the seller can confirm it as a good copy I would be very wary of paying more than a pound or two for it as it will more than likely be disappointing when you pop it into your player.

The CLD-D925 is a great player, enjoy spinning your big silver discs in it :thumbup: .

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 10:21 
^ Interesting acquisitions teddanson.
I think you'll find my contribution here prosaic.

The Hot Spot ID8208OR.
Pretty good mildly offbeat character piece masquerading as a thriller. Chiller and better than something like Red Rock West. Jennifer Connelly is fairly prominent for her fans -- I don't usually enjoy her but this is a good cast. Virginia Madsen gives another performance as Sharon Stone's understudy. Don Johnson, however, makes this movie. Despite always getting cast in what feels like a narrow range of roles he finds ways to distinguish them without resorting to tics, and his screen presence is much above the B level the majority of his films hover around.
Overall a bit of a change of pace and a nice surprise (or relief, as I'd had a string of poor LD purchases).
Good image and sound; poor package as there are no extras whatsoever despite a wealth of space remaining on disc 2.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 11:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
teddanson wrote:

Hi teddanson,

I don't think you will find a perfect copy of this title but we can all live in hope!

Had around three (perhaps four) copies pass through my hands years ago & all were pretty rotted, pretty sure one of them would not even load at all.

Lots of early PDO pressed LDs were poor even from new & unfortunately most of the BBC LDs are very often hard to find any good playable copies of them now, I must have gone through a dozen copies of Great Railways on BBCV 1008L in search of a fairly good playable copy without success.

Sea Power does crop up on ebay sometimes but unless the seller can confirm it as a good copy I would be very wary of paying more than a pound or two for it as it will more than likely be disappointing when you pop it into your player.

The CLD-D925 is a great player, enjoy spinning your big silver discs in it :thumbup: .

Cheers

Yeah I only paid 99p for it. As said elsewhere I just like obscure stuff or things nobody else maybe cares about. I wonder if the Domesday device could extract a watchable copy off of the discs? The first side of disc one gives me a P5 error. The other side and the other disc are clean as a whistle but playback is awful. Flickering, dropouts everywhere but the audio is still intact.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 11:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Tightly curated?? Are you joking right? They look like the most random titles I could think of> all look weird and great though, congratulations

Yep. Tightly curated to me! :lol:

My rule of thumb is to try and buy discs unavailable on other formats, or perhaps OOP and too expensive on other formats. Also curiosities, oddball stuff, interesting stuff and then things like Cannon, Vestron, New World Cinema, Guild sub par movies. That Dirk Benedict and Linda Blair film for me was a must. I bought Blue Tornado on DVD the other day, starring Dirk Benedict and Patsy Kensit. It turned out to be directed by Dario Argento's favourite editor (worked on Demons and Demons 2 etc etc). it was surprisingly good. Figured I'd give Ruckus a try. Ye can't beat a bit of Face from the A Team in films! :mrgreen:

If it's available on Blu Ray or UHD that is where I start first. If not I go to DVD. Then VHS or LD (whichever is cheaper/better print/different cut etc). Or I mix it all up depending on what the cut/commentary/extras etc are. A good example being The Thing. I bought the HD-DVD of that too. Still looking for the LD of it with the extra commentary on it (I think it's on a 1998 R1 DVD too so I bought that for now).

Then finally there's just the other 'stuff'. Oddball documentaries. Weird subjects. OOP anime (Goddam!!, Urban Square and Future War 198X - which was worked on by Toshio Maeda! - and other 80's/90's anime are my favourites). 3D stuff. Odd music projects, the Canyon project for example. I got an AC-3 demodulator a while back from Japan. I have to run it on a step down transformer and it's hassle just for the couple of AC-3 titles in my collection, but feck it, I'm curious to see how it all works and sounds like.

I think there's lots to see and explore on different formats that may otherwise never see the light of day again. That's the joy of LD collecting for me, and why I think of my collecting habits/collection as tightly curated. :thumbup:

kone4 wrote:
pokefraker wrote:
spudeus wrote:
Ordered and to arrive shortly: Hercules in New York. Schwarzenegger's first American film, iirc. Pan and Scan, mono analog. Can't wait!

It's hilarious that they both dubbed over his voice in that movie, and credited him as "Arnold Strong".

Have fun with it. It's a real kick & a laugh.

I have this on R2 DVD from years ago. It was released by Hollywood DVD. The quality of the transfer is really good too (the video, not Arnold's voice :lol: ).

The opening credits have Arnie listed as Arnold Strong (Mr Universe)! The cover makes a big deal about it being the first time his real voice is heard. You know what is odd though? I can't seem to find the film with Arnie's voice dubbed over. Is that present on a separate channel on the LD? If so I would love to pick up a copy as I can't find the dubbed version anywhere.

"I'M TIRED OF ZE SEM OLD PLACES! ZE SEM OLD THINGS!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 21:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just bought a bunch of discs from my friend who was getting rid of his small collection. He kept The Fifth Element (which he owns in, he thinks, every home media format on which it was ever released), but besides that I got his whole collection:

14480 Mars Attacks!
TKLO-50170 Whisper of the Heart
ML102798 The Picture of Dorian Gray
PLFEB 34291 Jaws (dupe)
LV 8049-2 The Godfather (have a superior version already)
82656 Men In Black (dupe)
1087-70 Damien: Omen II
913 AS The Little Mermaid
PLFED 32581 Schindler's List
4268-85 South Pacific
11315 LV National Lampoon's Vacation
11889 National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
LV 8459-2 The Godfather: Part II
PLFMD 32701 Jurassic Park (have the NTSC version but I would love to see the Teletext subtitles!)
BEAL-921 Ghost in the Shell: Premium Box

So all in all a pretty good haul I think! He also has a player but I didn't take that, at least not yet (I'm not sure precisely what it is, but it'll be a lower-end Pioneer that does PAL and NTSC I think).

Since moving house I haven't really found the time to seriously re-organise my collection so I'm currently taking the opportunity to fully audit my own collection, get everything back into shape, etc. :). This will hopefully give me more of a reason to spin up some discs, which I haven't been doing as much as I would like! That's full-time jobs for you...

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 03:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
I have this on R2 DVD from years ago. It was released by Hollywood DVD. The quality of the transfer is really good too (the video, not Arnold's voice :lol: ).

The opening credits have Arnie listed as Arnold Strong (Mr Universe)! The cover makes a big deal about it being the first time his real voice is heard. You know what is odd though? I can't seem to find the film with Arnie's voice dubbed over. Is that present on a separate channel on the LD? If so I would love to pick up a copy as I can't find the dubbed version anywhere.

The package is slooowly making its way to me from Puerto Rico. As soon as I give it a spin, I'll let you know - I assume it's the ridiculous dub though. Interesting there is a R2 DVD!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 14:22 
True fan
True fan

Two new arrivals. Was hunting for the AC3 Universal soldier for a while.

Attachments:
81536087_296181568009477_8777125360002138112_o.jpg
81536087_296181568009477_8777125360002138112_o.jpg [ 145.99 KiB | Viewed 17598 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 10:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Finally could find 1984 in japanese version !!!!
1000 yens in a street shop !
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 22:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I received this small haul today. Starflight One I have wanted for soooooo long! It took me a long time to get it.

I got Mannequin on a whim. I like the film and I'm a sucker for Japanese LD's!

Rollercoaster is a favourite of mine. No Sensurround track though. Gutted!

The Thing DVD I got because it has the LD commentary on it. It's the only release I know of with the uncensored LD commentary on it. Afaik.

Going to watch Rollercoaster tonight. Excited!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 23:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
The Thing DVD I got because it has the LD commentary on it. It's the only release I know of with the uncensored LD commentary on it. Afaik.

First I've heard of this. Lame!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 23:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep. The releases that followed have a butchered version of the commentary on it hence I tracked this particular DVD down.

More info here:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=427855

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 02:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nice, always wanted that Starflight One but now collecting habits have changed and I no longer want it but I know its a cool one.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 11:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Nice, always wanted that Starflight One but now collecting habits have changed and I no longer want it but I know its a cool one.

I love 70's disaster films! :lol: I couldn't wait and watched Rollercoaster uncut yesterday. The 101 Films Blu looks like the Shout Factory release (it uses the same extras as they are copyright/presented by SF). The bitrates seem to match too. Still going to get the German Blu as it has a whopper bitrate and the all-important Sensurround audio track that apparently the LD releases don't have. Still a superb film to this day. Timothy Bottoms is awesome as 'The Young Man'. I didn't realise the daughter in the film is a very young Helen Hunt!

Yeah Starflight One was on my list for the longest time but it was about tracking it down. I don't think there was a US or EU release on LD? I know there is a German DVD of it, but I don't think the transfer is very good. Maybe someone else will know?

In my opinion it's the kind of film that is crying out for a boutique Blu! I'd also add The Last Chase and Killer Fish to that list. Maybe a boutique Lee Majors box set!? Imagine! :o

Mannequin I think already has a Blu release. However I think it may be a slightly different version on the Japanese LD. I'm not 100% sure. I picked it up for the retina-shattering sleeve colour and because I don't seem to watch anything made after 1999. :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 15:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hercules (in New York) did finally arrive - an early disc from 1982 but not Discovision. Seems to play fine, and it is the original soundtrack with that nerdy voice dubbed over Arnie's massive frame! :lol: Greek gods prancing around in a park somewhere. :wtf: Will give it a full watch tonight. . .

To continue my cheesefest, I ordered Bachelor Party with Tom Hanks. I don't think I've ever seen, but it came up in the YouTube show Nerdrotic so I figured, what the hay?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 18:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
I received this small haul today. Starflight One I have wanted for soooooo long! It took me a long time to get it.

I got Mannequin on a whim. I like the film and I'm a sucker for Japanese LD's!

Rollercoaster is a favourite of mine. No Sensurround track though. Gutted!

Going to watch Rollercoaster tonight. Excited!

Those look like nice acquisitions. I am sure you pay a lot of money on shipping as there are hardly any laserdisc sellers in ROI.

Page 1 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next