It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:10

Page 28 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 02:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
A DTS edition of Mortal Kombat Annihilation! Still new and sealed because until I came along nobody was stupid enough to buy it.

You mean nobody else was. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 14:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Better Tomorrow III (HK)
Spy Hard (US)
Don't Give a Damn (HK)
He Who Chases After the Wind (HK)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 20:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

To-Y (1987) [96LG 105]

Recently acquired for a high but not utterly insane price through an established LD scalper and Mogwai smuggler, I was glad to overpay. I've waited too long. I first became interested in this OVA via the fan dub where they changed the main characters to Eddie Vedder, Morrissey, and Robert Smith (but barely touched plot, to be honest).

What’s sort of uncommon about this thing is that it’s almost a music video about a band but contains no music from the band, only other bands. I think the mangaka probably thought that no music could be as cool as it’s made out to be in the comic so they filled it with regular pop music that would maybe be in any other anime. The music is cool, probably cooler than Dance Away or whatever, knowwhatimean? The only other thing I can recall with a similar situation would be Daft Punk’s film Electroma which also only has music from other artists in it...and of course all those horrible made for cable documentaries about Bowie and Nirvana like, “The Last Night of Kirk Cobain” or whatever which are just f-ing horrible and lack any quality music whatever for different reasons. Ironically this is where the fan dub did well because they just jacked actual music from Pearl Jam, etc, who they then wrote in as the subjects of the thing. Anyway, that's always going to get noticed. What I love about this thing is that its so 1987 it hurts but it somehow never gets too Weird Science. Its cool, just cool, and also nostalgic to me I guess because I remember when I was young enough to spend all day thinking about art with other nutjobs, all competing with each other and posing and such. There is an element of magical realism but also just...realism. The animation is above average, at times really good. Its still anime though, so don't expect the music to sync to the guitar player, etc.

What’s weird is that everyone always says the video quality is terrible on this disc and it seems perfectly fine to me. I think it may be just a rumor spread to maybe help people who own it from being pestered by people who want to buy. Before this I had only ever known of one guy who admitted he had a copy and he refused to sell. The OVA is filled with then current Sony artists they wanted to promote so the sound is extremely good, at least in the music sections. I for sure have worse discs from 1987, I have worse Criterion discs from 1987, most likely.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 21:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
To-Y (1987) [96LG 105]

Recently acquired for a high but not utterly insane price through an established LD scalper and Mogwai smuggler, I was glad to overpay.

Sometimes those are the only people who have the good stuff.
At least you didn't buy 6th day or titan ae.....

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 09:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Zeta, I think you've always watched your anime LDs raw right? I think you said before your Japanese is learned from watching anime? What percentage of a show would you say you understand from watching raw? For me, someone who lived 5 years in Japan and took university level Japanese, but isn't too bright or good at studying, I can understand 80% of something like Maison Ikkoku but only about 20% of a show like Heavy Metal L-Gaim.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 18:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Macross: Super Dimension Fortress: 15th Anniversary Memorial Box (1982) [BELL-1036]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Symphonic Orchestra Live (1997) [KILA 339]

Technically not the last discs I bought, but the latest to arrive after they spent a considerable amount of time on a boat between Japan and here. Big thanks to Julien for packing them up nice and safely!

The Macross box is so damn slick. I've only watched the first disc so far (it's CAV, unlike most of the set), and the picture is about as clean as it can be given the source and the format. Sound's mono (presumably the original TV mix), but that can't diminish the heavenliness of Macross's sound, even in its earliest incarnation. I confess to singing along with the opening theme song most times it plays (and I'm almost to the point where I can pronounce all the lyrics roughly correctly!)

Probably the last addition to my modest LD collection for a while. I've had about three waves of substantial additions since I got my player about a year and a half ago, and my shelf of anime LDs in particular feels nice and fleshed out now. Now I just need an uncrowded weekend for a change to edit and submit those cover pics I've been procrastinating on...

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 19:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have the first Macross box and always wanted this one but never got it, now I have too much macross on LD and DVD that I can't do it.

The great part of this box is the hologram but its mostly wavy on ones I've seen for sale, I had to pull it up and glue it back down and after about
10 years of it in a shelf it finally flattened out and looks great.

The pic on the database is of my box, one day I'll post a pic flat after all these years.
Macross: Super Dimension Fortress: Memorial Box (1982) [BELL-245]

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 21:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I haven't bought any laserdiscs in a few months (none locally for sale which is how i prefer to buy) so i figured i'd pop on ebay and get myself something special.

Found a Letterbox copy in nice shape of The Rocky Horror Picture show for $30 which i think is pretty fair considering it's a sought after cult film and the letterbox LD is considerably harder to come by than the fullscreen pressings.

Stoked to watch it this October dressed up as Brad of course! :)

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 08:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I hauled my copy of the hologram box to my hotel from a Hard Off in the suburbs of Tokyo in 2012. Paid about Y800 I think but it has some rips on the outer box and that hologram is wrinkled, discs inside perfect. Might try your restoration one day Rein-O but would have to think of something to restore the box paper rips too. It gets a watch every couple of years, actually due to watch it again, I know the story so well I don't really need subs but have my SSAs and genlock ready for this time. I got the Animeigo DVD box sets in the day and over time grew to hate the recolaration. The LDs just highlight that. That natural yet extremely clear picture is what makes anime from that era always look the best on LD. And of course Japanese otaku from that era would never accept anything but every episode complete and unmolested. Still the Animeigo discs did give me the complete original show for a long time, and Minmay's a** ; )

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2021, 23:50 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I got these two in a bundle for $28. I was the only bidder.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 11:54 
True fan
True fan

Arrived this week.
Picture quality on this one is brilliant.

Attachments:
IMG_E6696.JPG
IMG_E6696.JPG [ 411.79 KiB | Viewed 1950 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 12:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:
Arrived this week.

Wow, I had no idea this was released on LD.

...or that it's old enough to have been released on LD. :?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 18:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
therussian wrote:
Arrived this week.

Wow, I had no idea this was released on LD.

...or that it's old enough to have been released on LD. :?

Released in March '99 in the US & September in the UK if memory serves me.

One that was released on LD before the cinema release in the UK which always caused a bit of hassle with UK distributers back then, there were quite a few LDs released before the UK cinema showings.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 19:50 
True fan
True fan

Oh yeah those were pre broadband internet times when they could actually still do that, if they do that now all the people that wanted to watch it already would have using the high seas.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 20:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Got a set of Kare Kano LD new, but was unimpressed with the packing from a looooong established seller who should have known better. They used a box exactly the size of the LDs with no corner protection (like double boxing or wrapping the discs in bubble wrap to keep them away from the box corners - or even a stiff cardboard sandwich) and just some peanuts on top so one corner wound up stressed on the jackets from the post office dropping it. I know everyone has seen worse from jackets folded over and discs broken in half to discs coming in an envelope (I got a few lodoss discs this way, intact) but jeeze these guys were selling these things when they were new so I can only figure they sell so few LD these days they forgot the protocol. But they comped me a decent amount and we called it good but still you guys must know how this stuff triggers the old OCD - i hate LD OCD :) .

But yeah, felt desperate to buy some LD title after some drought since getting a pristine Miyu TV box (from the Salvation Army, who packed it perfectly)a long while back. I'm historically a cheapskate and paid a little more than usual for these titles hoping to avoid an issue too, haha.

Damn for the utterly bulletproof packaging of Laserdisc Vault, like bran expensive new U-Line boxes nested in each other. Also why surugaya is sorely missed, they packed well (thanks covid for ruining shipping).

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2021, 17:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Bought the CAV Who Framed Roger Rabbit at The Exchange a couple days ago.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 03:18 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

There's a music store chain that is local to me, called Bull Moose Music. I took a trip out to a store that I don't usually go to, and they just happened to have a nice selection of LaserDiscs. None were more than $6, and there were a few thrown in that were $2.

The $6 ones:

The $2 ones:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 08:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Last four i would have grabbed, nice!
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 10:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Likewise here except for Apollo 13 of which I already own a couple of copies. Must be great though in 2021 to discover somewhere that’s close to your doorstep that is still selling LDs :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 15:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Five out of the six are the first time I'm encountering those movies. That copy of High Plains Drifter is a duplicate, because I have a sealed copy and I didn't want to open it. Now, I don't have to. :D

Page 28 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 44  Next