It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:21

Page 43 of 44 [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 17:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

GGV1015 from grashopper arrived today! :mrgreen: :clap:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 20:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The Tenchi Muyo THX box. AC3. With OBI, and film cel.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2024, 04:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Not recently, but a couple of years ago...I got So Sick of seeing 'My Fellow Americans' in Full-Fame, including the DVD that I bought several years ago, not even Thinking it Wouldn't be Widescreen, that I bought the Widescreen Laser Disc! And it's now in my computer! :) :D

^^X^^

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024, 16:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The other day I received In weiter Ferne, so nah! (Faraway, So Close!) (1993) [ASLF-5038]. I've had the US version of this movie for many years. I had the VHS for a while before that. I love this movie.

You know those times when you're looking at foreign versions of movies *really* closely because you're hoping there's some extra content in there but the thing is money so you don't want to buy it if its the exact same thing you already have? This is one of those movies for me. I love Wim Wenders stuff. Wim Wenders loves to shoot scenes that never get used and shrink the movies down. Far Away, So Close (1993) [79966] is 146 minutes. The Cannes version was 160 min. Wim Wenders loves Japan. Japanese versions of many many things often contain something unique to justify the huge price so...maybe there's something cool here? There's a Making Of...but those aren't always great. Do I want to pay $60 or whatever for that?

Well, I've waited long enough for a Criterion Blurry of this thing so this looked like my best bet for some sort extra stuff. I got it for $25 still sealed.

And it paid off! There is some stuff here. One minute of footage! In fact this is plainly stated on the packaging. The JP release of the movie was late and the home video version later and it's essentially a different product rather than a near copy of a US release like you'd expect of most movies by the 90s. It's "localized" with a Japanese title, even. ("時の翼にのって"...完璧です...) It's the only 147 min version I could find. The US LD is 146, some version are 140 like uh...Italian Blu-ray I think, I can't remember. I did some looking around but didn't take notes. The cover is beautiful. The inner gatefold is stunning. This is a great release.

So here's what put in the LDDB:

"This transfer is not the same as the US LD. It is based on the German version so it has "In weiter Ferne, so nah!" as a title and all German credits. "Faraway, So Close!" is used in English on the packaging almost like how Studio Ghibli uses international English titles, "Only Yesterday", etc, on merchandise or whatever.

It's also preceded by a video generated title for the Japanese title "時の翼にのって" (On the Wings of Time?) which is also on the obi. Color timing is different, b/w scenes look blue-ish.

This 147min. running time LD contains at least one scene not in the US version or perhaps any other home version yet. Fleski and Cassiel on the motorcycle,

"Let me explain a couple of things. Time is short. That's the first thing. For the weasel, Time is a weasel. For the hero, Time is heroic. For the wh**e, Time is just another trick. If you're gentle, your Time is gentle. If you're in a hurry, Time flies. Time is a servant, if you are its master. Time is your god, if you are its dog. We are the creators of Time, the victims of Time, and the killers of Time. Time is timeless. That's the second thing. You are the clock, Cassiel."

All versions I can find on VHS, LD, DVD or Blu-ray are 140 or 146 minutes long. I haven't checked every release for this scene but serious fans of the movie will want it.

Since this movie is in German and English with also Spanish, French, Italian, and Russian nearly all humans in any region will need subtitles of some kind. This one translates every line into Japanese titles. It also puts vertical titles on the side to name businesses, bridges, and other things. Sometimes there are what look to be video generated cue marks at similar times to the ones in the print, probably this has to do with their subtitle timing system.

The Making Of section is also not on the US LD. It was made for the German market at some point before the movie was released and had the narration replaced by a Japanese speaker and subtitles added for everyone else. In this section you will see the usual interviews with the cast in their native languages. Some scene improvisation and stuff not used the final film is demonstrated.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2024, 16:50 
First post
First post

SONY MDP-355GX arrived today

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2024, 14:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Creepshow

Was still sealed. I did open it to see this:

At least I was able to update the entry in the database und make new cover pictures.

Rest in pieces. :cry:

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2024, 16:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh no! An even more limited edition now then :thumbdown:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2024, 17:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sorry to see this broken disc.

This is just more of a reason to never buy into the sealed format situation.
They can be broken or even packaged improperly with wrong title inside said sleeve at the factory.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2024, 18:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mth1986 wrote:
Creepshow

At least I was able to update the entry in the database und make new cover pictures.

Did you buy Crapshow on LD? :think:

So far I have never had bad luck buying sealed discs.
Knock on wood.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2024, 19:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

noogie-man wrote:
mth1986 wrote:
Creepshow

Knock on wood.

Well then, I would try the lotto, if you have luck on your side you will be winning, its worth the risk!!!!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2024, 19:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
noogie-man wrote:

Knock on wood.

Well then, I would try the lotto, if you have luck on your side you will be winning, its worth the risk!!!![/quote]

Unfortunately I'm not that lucky to with the big buck on lottery. :thumbdown:
I always say WTHell :wtf: when I most of the time only win 3 bucks only to buy a new ticket :yawn:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 11:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

They can be broken or even packaged improperly with wrong title inside said sleeve at the factory.

I would only buy sealed if they are very, very cheap.

Flipbayers who think they are worth $50 on the account of being sealed can go suck an exhaust pipe.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 11:21 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Flipbayers who think they are worth $50 on the account of being sealed can go suck an exhaust pipe.

Luckily the disc was only 10€ if I remember correctly. So it’s more a kind of „emotional loss“ to see the broken LD.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 17:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I only buy sealed discs when it’s the only option and if it’s a US seller I’ll ask him to open it first. The Risk is high enough as it is. If he won’t open it then I won’t buy it.

And yes, I have had this same issue. My US copy of Babe: Pig in the City was purchased unopened because it was the only one for sale at the time and it arrived cracked clean in two. I get JP discs sealed once in a while and if they are JP sellers I honestly don’t worry about it. Neglected discs are far more common in the US where this junk has been moved in a hurry from one place to another countless times over the decades by generations of hoarder scum.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 19:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mth1986 wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Luckily the disc was only 10€ if I remember correctly. So it’s more a kind of „emotional loss“ to see the broken LD.

You were happy to buy Creepshow unfortunately the disc turned into Cr@pshow. :thumbdown:
There was no visual damage to jacket?

Disc must have broke down between factory and shop? :think:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 20:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Looked like a charm from the outside (check the uploaded covers for this release).
As Zeta stated: Who knows where the disc has been or how many hands it had passed. :crazy:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2024, 19:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mth1986 wrote:
Looked like a charm from the outside (check the uploaded covers for this release).
As Zeta stated: Who knows where the disc has been or how many hands it had passed. :crazy:

The fishy thing is that jacket looks undamaged with a kaputt disc inside ?
Jacket condition should have shown some difficult handling life :idea: :?:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2024, 22:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

noogie-man wrote:
mth1986 wrote:

The fishy thing is that jacket looks undamaged with a kaputt disc inside ?
Jacket condition should have shown some difficult handling life :idea: :?:

Oh, you poor sweat innocent child…no. The jacket and shrink can be immaculate and the disc cracked in two. It only takes one good whack to crack a cold LD.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2024, 12:46 
Third post and above
Third post and above

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Crazy a** me needed this pervy movie in my collection to see a young Brigitte Bako nakey in the highest definition possible. I paid a whopping 144.10 plus a 6.95 dollar gift card!!! Insanity how much gift cards sell for now a days at Walgreens! Keep in mind many of you may not know this but I had to actually walk, jog, or run to my local Walgreens to buy a gift card because I don't drive. I've seen this movie pop up only one other time online and it was selling for $20 a great price compared to what I paid for and I bought it then and seller claimed that they already sold it and didn't know why listing was up. Then I had to wait a year later for this movie to finally pop up on ebay with me searching daily for it and the seller on an auction was asking for $130 plus shipping and after tax it came to $144.10. I was paranoid someone might fight me for it and luckily no one did because i'm not sure i would have paid much more for it even though I had a ridiculous max bid on it. Won't even dare say what had on it but I probably may have had to bow out if it went any higher!

sent u a DM

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2024, 07:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

"The Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead"

(Yea me & 300-ish of "y'all")
...so how long before it becomes rare again???

Page 43 of 44 [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next