It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:19

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does the LDDB lure more collectors or regular viewers ..
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 05:40 
True fan
True fan

of LD? By collectors I mean those who buy LDs because they like a cover or want rare titles for value. By viewers I mean those who regularly watch LDs and keep seeking new titles to watch maybe even over blu ray. Since 2008, when I became a member, there was no forum, and members primarily communicated on this site possibly through purchases. Because of that I never got an idea of who went to this site.

I've since observed there are many members who like laserdisc but only look at it from time to time as opposed to those who are fervent in believing that analog video is a more pleasurable viewing experience. I would have thought the site leans more towards viewers but I'm not so sure anymore. Whats your observation and do the results surprise you? :)

Post subject: Re: Does the LDDB lure more collectors or regular viewers ..
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 05:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I get people on ebay all the time asking me to match prices. I am pretty close from here and there but sometimes I make errors. I would say collectors.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 06:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't know who's more active on the form, but I'd say the "collector" types (as opposed to the "viewer" ones) tend to more readily quit the format.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 06:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My library is for watching. Some months I hardly watch anything at all, but other months I'll watch a dozen discs or more. I don't generally buy LDs with the idea that they will somehow accumulate value ; I buy them because I want to watch them.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 06:39 
I'm a bit of a collector, and a viewer, but i would classify myself as more of a collector i suppose. while nearly everything i buy i have the intention of eventually watching, there have been many movies (or specific versions of movies) that i buy with no intention of watching that specific version, but just to add to my collection. For example, I bought the Archive Collection of Tron and it is still sealed. I have no intention of watching that version, but i have the movie on DVD so i will watch that one if i want to watch the movie. That said, there are movies i have on LD that i don't have on other formats, so i'm more than happy to watch the LD. So, i'm both, but i lean more toward the collector side.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 06:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

When I say collectors I am talking about people that collect the discs to watch! I just watched zipperface, omg, that is a cheesy awesome movie. I tried to watch dungeonmaster but it is unwatchable. Not because it is bad, rot throughout.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 07:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Writing for only myself.....
I am a collector,viewer,and LD speculator.......
This site has allowed me to move stock and acquire rarities that can be found no where else in cyber space.
I would say a mix of both collectors and viewers are drawn to the LDDB as well as curious noobs.
As to the questions of more of one or the other.......
Perhaps a poll is in order......

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 15:55 
True fan
True fan

publius wrote:
My library is for watching. Some months I hardly watch anything at all, but other months I'll watch a dozen discs or more. I don't generally buy LDs with the idea that they will somehow accumulate value ; I buy them because I want to watch them.

I hear that. As well, when I make a purchase of an LD I'm usually thinking this will be good for my library because I can watch it repeatedly. I have purchased a few LDs for special features but that's not common for me. It can be disappointing if a film is not what I thought because I took a gamble on it. It may "gather dust" but if it's worth the effort I'll try to sell it to an interested buyer.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 21:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'd have to say I am more of a viewer. One thing that exemplifies this is that I have no hesitation in ripping through a newly acquired, brand new and sealed copy of any laserdisc. I've had seven sealed discs acquired in recent history and I have opened all but one of them, and that's just because I haven't got around to watching it yet.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 01:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I claim myself a mix of 55% collector and 45% viewer.

T2, for example, I have such versions as below
Squeeze, THX
Squeeze, non-THX
Hi-Vision
Dolby Digital remastered
Special Edition, boxset

However, I normally watch the first THX one from time to time.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 16:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm more of a viewer. I'm not that big a stickler for the quality of a cover, so long as I can watch the movie.

That's not to say, I don't mind getting a water damaged, scratched and/or ripped up cover of a movie! So long as the cover isn't totally mangled, but I can watch the movie, I'm happy.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 03:49 
True fan
True fan

I'm a collector and a viewer. I watch my Laserdiscs constantly. I'm fairly certain most of my digital formats collect lots of dust for the most part. Right now as we speak I'm checking out the image quality of Grave of the Fireflies, and earlier I watched the Hunt for Red October

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 05:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm a viewer. I don't watch much TV and I don't have cable. The only thing I watch are my laserdiscs and the occasional DVD of something that isn't on LD, like Miami Vice and The Simpsons. And I'm not a collector because I am not really interested in how rare something is and I only buy if the discs are dirt a** cheap, which fortunately they are half the time. I'd rather have 500 movies to watch for $500 than four sooper rarez discsz stuf!1!1 for the same price.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 05:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Agree, except for Titan AE :)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 09:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello Guys,
I would class myself as a balanced viewer and collector.

I have watched most of my collection, and the only reason why I havn't watched them all yet is because I havn't got round to it at the moment.

I have a box set of silent movies, of which I look forward to viewing at some stage when my equipment is correctly setup.

I purchase rare and so called rare titles, but only because I personally like the content.
I do not purchase a title with a view to selling and make money at a later date, although there are titles that I have that are now going for very high prices indeed.

I pay good money for each title and some I pay silly money for, but only because I trust the seller and because the titles are either hard to find, Japanese versions, or are in immaculate condition or new (unopened)

Example I have a new unopened LD of ''the sixth day'' and, shall look forward to opening and watching and love the cover aswell.

The added enjoyment of receiving this title has been heightened, by the fact that this has been reserved for 4 years and I shall hopfully have this by mid summer.

Thank you for the good subject remington.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 17:06 
True fan
True fan

...and thank you. On ebay I see "everyday" titles like "Raiders"," Blowout", "The Fugitive" etc. still selling, some days more than 99cents. People are still buying "Empire Strikes Back" for 9.99 when it's been around hundreds of times for less. Viewing I guess, but you never know. As to the LDDB I think it has an interestingly ambiguous nature to it. However we are getting clearer answers as the days and months unfold.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 02:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hi Everyone,

You can definitely put me down as a viewer. I never buy anything with the idea of re-selling it to make money on it. In fact, I have sold very few discs I have ever owned. Once a piece becomes part of my collection, for all practical purposes, it will never appear on the market again. Having said that, there are many pieces in my collection that I have never viewed, but only because I haven't had time to do so yet. With a collection like mine, one could watch a disc every day for several years and never watch the same one twice! I am certainly not obsessive about the condition of the jackets, which is apparent considering how many former rental discs I own. I try to get the best jacket available, but when dealing with very rare titles, sometimes you have to take whatever you can find. I rarely buy factory sealed discs. When I do, it is generally only to get a copy with the best jacket available. I NEVER buy anything with the intention of leaving it factory sealed. If I buy it, you may rest assured that it will be opened and viewed...eventually! :mrgreen:

David

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 20:19 
True fan
True fan

Awesome! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 05:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I am still looking for that perfect betty page ld and titan ae :) And I still want lord of the rings. Then I need to go back and get the return of the living dead stuff. My condition that I want.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 09:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day mikeystoyz,

If I see TITAN A.E. for sale anywhere then I will let you know.

If you also notice this title then I would be grateful if you could let me know

When this was released around 2000 I was that close to purchasing it.

Even then the price to import this from Japan was around £100

At the time I purchased the the remastered ''STAR WARS'' box set and 2 x ep 1 Phantom menace of which cost around £300.
I travelled 26miles to London to collect this from a movie memorabilia shop in Shaftsbury Avenue.

:wave:

Happy memories :)
:thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next