It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Domesday DDD and Dexter for the future of Laserdisc?
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2020, 13:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There are many custom FPGA solutions out there these days that aim to mitigate the ever-looming threat of consoles becoming 'extinct' due to knackered laser pickups and assorted components. The idea being the FPGA device becomes the brains of the operation and that 1:1 dumps of cartridge, tape and optical media et al are played back with 100% accuracy.

It got me thinking (and please correct me if I have any of this wrong of course) about how Laserdisc players could potentially be kept going once they fall foul of similar issues and of course, the scarcity and expense of genuine replacement parts and so on. It's all well and good to capture a disc and have it stored in a digital file, but it's not exactly authentic and can only be played back on a computer, NAS and so on.

What about if there was a way to replace the entire disc mechanism in a Laserdisc player, similar to what the Dexter project does, install that in your Laserdisc player, and use the 1:1 raw RF disc dumps that the legendary Domesday DDD can do for playback? If my understanding is correct, you would then be able to play back your 1:1 disc dump in your player, perhaps over a fast micro SD card and retain both the originality of the disc and the means of proper playback using the player internals for audio etc?

Just a thought that crossed my mind. What do you guys and girls think?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]