It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any DTS discs worth avoiding?
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 07:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just curious if there is any DTS discs not worth the extra tax,
Any with bad mastering, flaws, issues or just not as good as the AC-3 equivalent?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Post subject: Re: Any DTS discs worth avoiding?
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 12:18 
True fan
True fan

The only DTS disc that I have that has a mastering flaw is The Mask. Only for one chapter on side one. The scene after the Mask trashes the car garage when the copper is questioning Ipkiss at the door of his flat. It's not colour flash, but the whole scene is just full of line dropouts and audio distortion. It's looks like my Ace Ventura When Nature Calls Ld. So strange as it happens on just one chapter. Never seen anything like this on a disc before. It has to be a mastering issue. Rot on just one chapter? Does anyone else have the DTS disc to confirm if all copies have this flaw or it's just my pressing.

DTS discs were mainly pressed by Kuraray with the odd few pressed by Pioneer. Any late release DTS Kuraray pressing will have superlative video and sound quality for a Laserdisc. Often the DTS release is the definitive release for sound and picture.

Shame about my copy of The Mask though.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 17:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

odotb3 wrote:
The only DTS disc that I have that has a mastering flaw is The Mask. Only for one chapter on side one. The scene after the Mask trashes the car garage when the copper is questioning Ipkiss at the door of his flat. It's not colour flash, but the whole scene is just full of line dropouts and audio distortion. It's looks like my Ace Ventura When Nature Calls Ld. So strange as it happens on just one chapter. Never seen anything like this on a disc before.

How long does it last?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 17:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I can only go by what I remember reading in The Laserdisc Newsletter. Titles like Volcano and Strange Days aren't worth the extra because there's very little noticeable difference between the Dolby Digital sountrack and the DTS soundtrack.

Also titles that aren't big booming soundtracks with explosions and such like comedies and dramas aren't really worth the upgrade either.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 17:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I can only go by what I remember reading in The Laserdisc Newsletter. Titles like Volcano and Strange Days aren't worth the extra because there's very little noticeable difference between the Dolby Digital sountrack and the DTS soundtrack.

I've got the Strange Days DTS disc and I think it sounds great, but what really steals the show for me on that disc is the picture quality; it's up there as one of the best in my opinion. However I haven't seen the AC3 disc so I don't know how they compare.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 19:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

hippiedalek wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

I've got the Strange Days DTS disc and I think it sounds great, but what really steals the show for me on that disc is the picture quality; it's up there as one of the best in my opinion. However I haven't seen the AC3 disc so I don't know how they compare.

On "Strange Days," the final 2.5 minutes of the discussion with Kathryn Bigelow that are at the beginning of side 2 on the AC3 edition are missing from the DTS edition.

As for "The Mask", my copy does not exhibit any audio or video issues. Mine is "A04". Perhaps I have a corrected copy?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 20:16 
True fan
True fan

takeshi666 wrote:
How long does it last?

Literally starts at the end of one chapter and occurs throughout until the start of the next chapter. Its like Sony DADC pressed that one chapter on the disc. :lol:

elahrairrah wrote:
Also titles that aren't big booming soundtracks with explosions and such like comedies and dramas aren't really worth the upgrade either.

True. I have the Happy Gilmore DTS Laserdisc and while the sound mix is good, its not as impactful as say Con Air or True Lies.

hippiedalek wrote:
The Ac3 disc is known for having good picture but I'm sure the DTS release is just as good or better.

blam1 wrote:
As for "The Mask", my copy does not exhibit any audio or video issues. Mine is "A04". Perhaps I have a corrected copy?
Just checked mine and it too has A04 on the mint mark. I must just have a defective copy.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 01:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

hippiedalek wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

When it comes to movies that were new-ish when they hit LD you’ll usually (probably always) find that they use the same master for DTS. They usually came out less than a year apart based on a nine month old movie...not a lot of reason to redo anything.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 10:36 
True fan
True fan

I think you may be wrong on that, zeta. Some of them may be the same but Con Air clearly has a different transfer.

The ac3 version of Strange Days was released in 1996 and pressed by Mitsubishi. The DTS was released two years later in 1998 and pressed by Kuraray. It's very easy for me to believe that Kuraray pressed their own master rather than borrow, by that point a 2 year old master, from Mitsubishi. They would have to remaster the sound for DTS anyway so why not do a fresh transfer.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 18:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Spawn.

Actually no, sorry that's not particular to the DTS release.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 19:25 
True fan
True fan

Well I know the Spawn DTS is a different transfer because the ac3 version is the directors cut whereas the DTS is the theatrical. :P

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]