It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Warriors Two 1978
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 15:01 
Second post
Second post

Hello all,

Looking for the very rare Sammo Hung classic Warriors Two on laserdisc. I know it's probably impossible to find, but if anyone out there has any information on where I might find it, I would be much obliged.

Thanks,

Tom.

Post subject: Re: Warriors Two 1978
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 15:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tomowen79 wrote:
Looking for the very rare Sammo Hung classic Warriors Two on laserdisc.

I don't think it was released on LD.

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 16:29 
Second post
Second post

Hi Julien,

You could well be right, however the reason I'm trying to see if anyone knows of this release is because I read a message from a credible user on another forum, who claimed to have actually had a copy years ago, but then sold it. Could be a wild goose chase.

Thanks anyway!

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020, 17:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was another call last year... nobody knew about it.

Sammo Hung's Warriors Two Hong Kong laserdisc HELP!!

Julien

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 18:18 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

admin wrote:
tomowen79 wrote:
Looking for the very rare Sammo Hung classic Warriors Two on laserdisc.

I don't think it was released on LD.

Julien

Au contraire, mon ami. I've found it, and I have the photos to prove it. :) While digging, it became obvious that, for whatever reasons, some Hong Kong discs are just difficult to find in Hong Kong, much less outside Hong Kong. My guess is that, other than whatever Tai Seng distributed (which was quite a bit, to be fair), discs just didn't proliferate far outside Hong Kong. Taiwan seems to be similar. Meanwhile, a healthy market for Japanese discs developed, so it's a lot easier for Westerners to be aware of and collect Japanese pressings, and update this site with info on them. ;)

Anyway, I'll add an entry soon. I'm debating adding entries for a few discs that I'm told exist. I'm reluctant since I don't even have distributor or catalog info. (I knew W2 was released by Winson.)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 22:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well its non existent until you post a picture of it.

Would be great for you to post pictures so others can know of the disc.
Thanks,

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 23:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Well its non existent until you post a picture of it.

Would be great for you to post pictures so others can know of the disc.
Thanks,

Yes please update - every update helps.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 03:28 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'll post proper photos/scans in time. :) All I have for now are a couple of cell phone photos. Not exactly what I'd want to post for posterity's sake. But yes, it is the real deal, and I'm seeking out some other discs that aren't listed on the site at all. (Well, quite a few aren't listed, but they're not discs that interest me. All I have to go off in those cases are some online listings with poor photos. The listings would barely be more than the title of the film, and usually, but not always, the distributor.)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 04:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

First off, I agree. The US and JP markets were so much more well documented that we’ll probably be finding new HK discs forever.

However, unless you have some sort of solid info for a release then, IMO, it’s best left completely out of the LDDB. Nobody needs an essentially empty entry with “may not exist” in the Notes. Lots of things get very far along and are cancelled at the last minute but are nevertheless cancelled the same, even in cases when we actually do know the catalog number, running time, exactly what the cover was to be, maybe the cover even got printed...

If someone has it they’ll eventually brag about it on eBay by listing it for some crazy price. Don’t get me wrong, unicorns do exist, but so do horses with horns glued to their heads. From my experience the top paying dudes are often the least interested in province. I remember a guy back in the day on the KLF mailing list who paid...I want to say like a grand, for a record that every list member knew was fake. I think they just wanted to flip it later and therefore have no interest in it’s potential fakeness....in the case of this particular disc I don’t remember anyone ever finding or selling another one like it so it was a fairly expensive bootleg to make for just for one idiot (not acetate). In this case labels and sleeves were known to exist so they only had to fake a 12” single which is easy and making an LD is impossible, however a scam doesn’t always need to make it that far...at some point it stops being about making the thing look real and more about just putting such a high price on it that only the greediest/stupidest guy will even look at it and at that point he’s guaranteed to pull the trigger. Once you have a price you have enough for a scam.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 07:50 
True fan
True fan

Speaking of lost laserdiscs, has anyone managed to find a copy of the Green LD Toxic Avenger? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I've yet to see a single photo of it.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 14:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve never heard of it and Julian has said, I believe, that the red Evil Dead is the only colored LD.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 18:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pokefraker wrote:
Speaking of lost laserdiscs, has anyone managed to find a copy of the Green LD Toxic Avenger? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I've yet to see a single photo of it.

Yeah, there was a second colored disc here on lddb back in the day but it may have been taken down as it may not be around.

Only colors I know of are the red, gold and clear/silver.
But do remember reading of a green, didn't know it was toxic, thought it was something else?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 19:58 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pokefraker wrote:

I definitely remember that one! I was thinking about it just the other day. I didn't buy it when it came out, though. For that matter, I can't swear that it came out. It might've gotten canceled. (In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it was canceled.) But yeah, I most certainly remember the pre-sale back in the day, sometime around the blood red ED2 disc (which I did buy at the time). It was in a catalog for Image or some other distributor. Nobody can talk me out of this one, other than maybe it was for Part II or something similar. :)

Photos / Listings / etc. - Honestly, on some level, I think the proverbial horse has left the barn. There are loads of listings up that have very minimal information. I totally understand the impulse to limit listings to confirmed ones. It's just a bit difficult in some instances, especially if we have to post photos. Right now, I could probably list 200+ titles, maybe upwards of 500+, that I've found in recent sales, complete with cell phone photos. The problem is that the photos would be terrible (I don't own the discs, and the sellers aren't going to take more photos than they already have), and I wouldn't be able to provide catalog numbers. What should I do? I'm happy to post as much info as I can. I just don't want to end up in a situation where all my listings are kept off the site because I'm going off what I can suss out from online listings and (trustworthy) collectors. So, for now at least, I suppose I'll play it safe and stick to scans of my purchases as they come in.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 22:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How does anyone take a bad photo in 2020? This is a serious question. If you mean like how all the pics on YAJ suck, I guess that’s one thing because it’s Japan. But if someone wanted to sell me a rare disc and they couldn’t manage to take a decent photo...in 2020, when every camera is amazing, I’d assume that was part of the scam.

LDDB is a legit website that has “discovered” every disc that’s on it. It’s been around a long time. If there was a green Toxic Avenger LD, a US release especially, we’d know about it. Not me, since I don’t follow Troma, but the LDDB and it’s forum would know. This isn’t a Facebook group, or collectard e-peen measuring contest via eBay prices. This is serious business.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 00:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't have a good camera.
Even my phone is an old crappy Chinese pos, but I just use it for phone calls and text messages so I don't really care.

Normally it might be possible for me to borrow a decent camera (with some effort) but it isn't possible right now. I would have to take a drive to collect it, if police ask me what I'm doing (covid restrictions) then going to borrow a camera isn't a valid excuse.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world that doesn't have a decent camera and can't easily access one right now due to restrictions.
Hell, there was a local woman that was arrested the other day for trying to organise (via facebook or something I think) a protest about face masks and covid restrictions. Yes, she was arrested in her own home (not just fined), plus she was pregnant.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 01:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ohnoyoko wrote:
Right now, I could probably list 200+ titles, maybe upwards of 500+, that I've found in recent sales, complete with cell phone photos. The problem is that the photos would be terrible (I don't own the discs, and the sellers aren't going to take more photos than they already have), and I wouldn't be able to provide catalog numbers. What should I do? I'm happy to post as much info as I can. I just don't want to end up in a situation where all my listings are kept off the site because I'm going off what I can suss out from online listings and (trustworthy) collectors. So, for now at least, I suppose I'll play it safe and stick to scans of my purchases as they come in.

If you have 2-500 discs that are missing from the database then I think you should add them and let Julien decide.

I just added a Korean disc that I do not own but saw the listing on ebay and was able to zoom to add the reference number.
Obviously its better if you have a picture with no reference number.

On another note, I was taking amazing pictures with my 3.4 megapixle camera until 20014-15
So people who don't take good pictures are either sloppy or lazy, or don't have the hang of the camera.

Anyway please post the discs, I can't tell you how many our Laserking has posted with no pics but has an amazing amount of
HK or Chinese discs posted without much info or reference numbers.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 16:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
I don't have a good camera.
Even my phone is an old crappy Chinese pos, but I just use it for phone calls and text messages so I don't really care.

Normally it might be possible for me to borrow a decent camera (with some effort) but it isn't possible right now. I would have to take a drive to collect it, if police ask me what I'm doing (covid restrictions) then going to borrow a camera isn't a valid excuse.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world that doesn't have a decent camera and can't easily access one right now due to restrictions.
Hell, there was a local woman that was arrested the other day for trying to organise (via facebook or something I think) a protest about face masks and covid restrictions. Yes, she was arrested in her own home (not just fined), plus she was pregnant.

Well, first off, you’re not attempting to sell a $1000 Laserdisc so your lack of quality photos is forgiven.

Secondly, some of the most beautiful pictures ever taken were 100 years ago on totally mechanical wooden boxes. It’s not the camera. Again. It’s not the camera. Unless it’s literally broken or it’s the Gameboy camera then it’s fine. The issue usually is people not having enough light, not being able to hold the thing steady, or shooting directly into a competing light source. If those areas are addressed and the camera is VGA+ resolution you should have a decent non-blurry photo even though it may be low res or color poor because of it being a cheap camera. You don’t need a Tesla to drive safe, you don’t need phone that can recognize your face. That’s all BS. Now a brand new iPhone will massively compensate for bad photography but that’s not what a good camera does. That’s a camera for drunk idiots on Facebook. You don’t need it. Just...turn some lights on. Go get an extra lamp from the other room. Don’t have your friend stand in between you and the sun when you take his picture and make sure you hold the camera still from before the shot until after the shot.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 15:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hi. Regarding bad photos, I think an important point is being missed. Here's an example of a "bad" photo that a dealer posted. Proof that the disc exists and shows the rough condition of the sleeve? Yes. Something I'd want on the site? No. That's why I emphasized above that a lot of this is out of my hands, some only for now (I can post full info and proper scans once I receive what I'm purchasing), some permanently (I can only provide info based off of photos if I don't buy them). :) I can list basic info on quite a few titles not listed here. It's just that I only have photos of varying quality in most cases.

In any event, I'm happy to add what I can to the site. It looks like there aren't quite as many unlisted titles as I suspected at first but there are a decent chunk, hopefully upwards of 200. It's better than nothing!

Oh, and in case my tone isn't coming through properly, I'm not trying to be combative with anybody. Yes, I want to make sure time spent on listings is time well spent, but I'm not trying to imply that LDDB is a janky site or anything like that. I've used it for 10+ years, even if I only registered a few years ago and am not a mega-collector. (Respect to laserking! That is one serious collection and serious dedication to posting the info!) I do want to add to the listings and help make the site even more definitive. I was just a bit surprised by some of the initial replies. That's all.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 16:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I may have zero interest in films like Warriors Two but would love to see the covers to that and other stuff, some have posted poor images here on the forum.
I think in these days with so much info its amazing how little info there is on some subjects and while on the database the pics should be of quality
its nice to have them on the forum at least.

Anyway look forward to seeing the stuff you can add.

I just finally sent in about 10 covers to missing listings and have added a few titles due to pics but not owning them.
Mostly anime as that's what I'm more interested in but any missing would be great.

This is why I asked about how many titles in the database a few weeks ago, there were at least 2 or 3 new anime discs I added.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]