Page 3 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: EVAL-ADV7842-7511P for improving Laserdisc image
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021, 16:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sonicboom wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
sonicboom wrote:
If you want to stay on the bleeding edge, Peter has already moved onto the next toy. EVAL is sooooo last month.

Any particular reason you are taking shots at me?

No, not really taking shots. Are you bleeding? Sorry Pete. I thought you had a better sense of humor. You seem to use it on other people so I thought I'd just do as you do. Apologies if you were offended ;)

I don't know you so no idea how you know me.

Take as many shots as you like....

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021, 21:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Does the Extron connect to composite video through an RCA-BNC adapter? And does it have correct letterbox aspect ratio zoom? It mentions "Fill" and "Follow" mode, but doesn't make clear if "Fill" is ZOOM or STRETCH. If it does have correct aspect ratio zoom, it may be just what I've been looking for to replace my Frankenstein combination of my AVR (Marantz SR6011) doing comb/AD/deinterlace and my projector (Epson HC 4000) scaling 480p 4:3 to 1080p and also doing aspect zoom. I currently have to go this route because the AVR lacks aspect ratio zoom, and the projector will only do aspect ratio zoom on 480p source (won't zoom on 720p, 1080p, or 4k).

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 21:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Extron DSC-301 HD from eBay. A seller with 3 available (2 now) for $99 auto-accepted an offer for $80, so they probably would have taken less. This particular seller also includes the power adapter where most listings do not. Also grabbed a female RCA to male BNC adapter from Amazon for $4 that will likely be here before the Extron is.

I'll give it a try when I get it in and report back. My player (D504 clone) has dual composite outputs, so I can easily compare both my current path and the Extron quickly/easily and see if either has the edge. The biggest question mark for me is if it will do letterbox zoom (since my projector will not for anything above 480p). For $80 shipped, I can be the guinea pig.

PostPosted: 01 May 2021, 01:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

stridsvognen wrote:
only have a GGV pal disc

Don't suppose you want to sell that?

You can still order the GGV1069 NTSC disc new here: https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_ ... fg=Pioneer

I've ordered in the last 6 months from them.

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 18:22 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

9954tony wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
only have a GGV pal disc

Don't suppose you want to sell that?

You can still order the GGV1069 NTSC disc new here: https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_ ... fg=Pioneer

I've ordered in the last 6 months from them.

Sorry not interested in selling, just got the GGV1069 a few weeks ago from Ireland. The GGV1011 is a great test disc, so dont hesitate buying it if you can find it.

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 18:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I got the Extron DSC-301 HD (along with a $4 Female RCA to BNC adapter from Amazon) earlier in the week and got it dialed in last night. It's definitely sharper in 1080p60 output than my combination of Marantz SR6011 AVR doing comb/AD/deinterlace over HDMI to my Epson 4000 projector scaling to 1080p and doing aspect ratio zoom. The added sharpness does bring out a little more noise, however.

I haven't tried letting the Extron output 480i and letting the Marantz or Epson scale from there yet, but it's on the to do list.
I'm going to experiment with both as it seems the Extron's deinterlacing isn't quite as good as the Marantz, but its Comb and possibly AD seems a bit better. I'll also experiment with letting the Marantz scale all the way to 4K60... the Epson projector defaults to the panel native 1080p when it receives a 1080p signal, but having the Marantz scale to 4K60 will, in turn, let the Epson engage its 4K shift as well.

The Extron doesn't have a specific letterbox zoom mode, only FOLLOW (native) and FILL (stretch)... but it does have full range horizontal and vertical size and position adjustment with 3 savepoints. Other calibration settings are pretty basic (Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Hue/Sharpness) but I was able to dial things in pretty easily with Video Standard so I didn't have to make any adjustments on the projector (which has been ISF calibrated with both SDR and HDR savepoints).

So, all in all, nothing magical but I will say a worthy addition for the price paid ($80 shipped) and flexible solution for anyone with a digital display that lacks aspect ratio zoom, has subpar comb filtering, or otherwise needs a flexible (if not completely full-featured, no LUT or even individual color calibration) VP.

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 19:09 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

shopkins82 wrote:
I got the Extron DSC-301 HD (along with a $4 Female RCA to BNC adapter from Amazon) earlier in the week and got it dialed in last night. It's definitely sharper in 1080p60 output than my combination of Marantz SR6011 AVR doing comb/AD/deinterlace over HDMI to my Epson 4000 projector scaling to 1080p and doing aspect ratio zoom. The added sharpness does bring out a little more noise, however.

I haven't tried letting the Extron output 480i and letting the Marantz or Epson scale from there yet, but it's on the to do list.
I'm going to experiment with both as it seems the Extron's deinterlacing isn't quite as good as the Marantz, but its Comb and possibly AD seems a bit better. I'll also experiment with letting the Marantz scale all the way to 4K60... the Epson projector defaults to the panel native 1080p when it receives a 1080p signal, but having the Marantz scale to 4K60 will, in turn, let the Epson engage its 4K shift as well.

The Extron doesn't have a specific letterbox zoom mode, only FOLLOW (native) and FILL (stretch)... but it does have full range horizontal and vertical size and position adjustment with 3 savepoints. Other calibration settings are pretty basic (Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Hue/Sharpness) but I was able to dial things in pretty easily with Video Standard so I didn't have to make any adjustments on the projector (which has been ISF calibrated with both SDR and HDR savepoints).

So, all in all, nothing magical but I will say a worthy addition for the price paid ($80 shipped) and flexible solution for anyone with a digital display that lacks aspect ratio zoom, has subpar comb filtering, or otherwise needs a flexible (if not completely full-featured, no LUT or even individual color calibration) VP.

What player are you using, and could you share some screen shots of the S&W test pattern with both the marantz and the Extron please?

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 19:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm using a Marantz LV520 (D504/D604 clone). I still have some experimentation to do with different combinations of the Extron, Marantz, and Epson scaling. I don't have the VE disc, just Video Standard... is the Wilcox pattern on that disc? If so, what chapter?

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 21:33 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

shopkins82 wrote:
I'm using a Marantz LV520 (D504/D604 clone). I still have some experimentation to do with different combinations of the Extron, Marantz, and Epson scaling. I don't have the VE disc, just Video Standard... is the Wilcox pattern on that disc? If so, what chapter?

No idea, is there no index?

How do you test comb filters if you have no test patterns?

I recently experienced that getting the laser adjusted on these old noisy Pioneer players actually make quite a lot of difference, and it dont make much sense messing around with processors if the player have massive noise and cross talk.

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 21:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well I'm not sitting in my theater with the disc in front of me right this minute...

Right now I'm not testing as much as setting up and making some quick comparisons as I go through the process. I spent an hour or so on it last night and should have a bit more time over the weekend.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 04:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My daughter bought this thing to play SNES on her TV, it was $40 on amazon.com (either their TV doesn't have composite "in" or they didn't look hard enough).

Today i did a test capture of VE S&W pattern, was quite surprised...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DQoWs3sgbO1FP9KV90SUiHWcol6x1gpB/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DQoWs3 ... sp=sharing
^if you play that directly from gdrive, it will show you the version they transcoded it to, but still looks good. (set it to 720p)

Page 3 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3