It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:47

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Laserdisc Reboot Debate
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2021, 02:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tsugrad_2013 wrote:
Should there be a laserdisc reboot like companies have done with classic car body styles, retro video game consoles, flip phones, etc? Should there be a modernized version of laserdiscs with a retro look and feel? Maybe being able to use your smart phone for a remote, better picture quality, release of newer titles, etc. Or would it lose its cool factor through a reboot? What features would you want if they did do a reboot?

No.

A laserdisc player is a tool to do a job. What you are proposing is a cheap a** mass market knick-knack made to capitalize from a real thing. The idea makes me puke, frankly.

“Please reboot the simple hot water radiator (and make it run off USBC and LiPos so it will be for sure be in the trash in five years). Please reboot the 8 track cassette (but make it just a huge hollow plastic shell with a Micro SD inside of it so that my collection of music can LOOK cooler). Please reboot anything (because designers are totally out of ideas after essentially designing away anything that isn’t an iPad...)”

I could use a new LD player, I don’t need a mini POS nostalgia generator.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2021, 02:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
No.

A laserdisc player is a tool to do a job. What you are proposing is a cheap a** mass market knick-knack made to capitalize from a real thing. The idea makes me puke, frankly.

Please reboot the simple hot water radiator and make it run off USBC and LiPos so it will be for sure be in the trash in five years. Please reboot the 8 track cassette but make it just a huge hollow plastic shell with a Micro SD inside of it so that my collection of music can LOOK cooler. Please reboot anything because designers are totally out of ideas after essentially designing away anything that isn’t an iPad...

I could use a new LD player, I don’t need a mini POS nostalgia generator.

Rebooted "LD Player" running Mini-BD discs Image

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2021, 03:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yes, and it’s already been done because nobody ever stopped watching movies. Good point.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2021, 00:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a sole possibility....

In 15 years or so, when other disc systems are dying fast, someone sees the opportunity to replace them all with a single player. If we speak up, kickstarter up, maybe we to can get in on B version with the 12 in case and platter, if the single chip is initially written/designed so that's (and maybe an additional diode or 2) all that's needed. Motor speeds, tracking, decoding, all that could easily be a single chip in the near future (if not today). Maybe the market could justify, like the LP revival.

That said, does anyone know why there are no combo DVD Data (computer) and DVD Video (entertainment) players? I hate the idea of replacing both someday... sure seems like the same gear!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2021, 04:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is no relationship between vinyl records and LDs other than them both being 12” discs. No relationship. None. Micro groove records have existed since the late 40s and have never been out of production, we’re 80 years into LPs, the format will ultimately last more than a century before it’s gone, likely longer. There are no relevant patents on anything anymore so it’s possible to make an entire stereo system in your garage, many people do. There are nearly zero electronics in a turntable compared to an LD player but the mechanical aspects are much more important. You can even buy...AMERICAN MADE turntables, even now, there are several. That was never even a dream with LD even in the earliest days.

LD is and was owned by companies, only lasted from 78-02, only 60,000 titles as opposed to millions on LP, is mostly electronics, spins a disc that weighs half a pound at 800rpm and then slows down...slightly...across the entire side, needs servo tracking and focus, etc.

If I really cared about a new transport being made I would educate myself on the matter as much as possible and try to be part of it. Kickstarter can take your money a lot easier than it can develop a good product. Praying to Kickstarter, waiting for someone to “give us” something...waste of wishes. If something was produced that way I’d be shocked if it didn’t die sooner than the decades old Pioneer stuff I have.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2