It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:34

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: anybody have issues with warped discs
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 21:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
The possibility that his account is just trolling remains strong but he hasn’t given us his punch line yet so we can’t be sure. He seems like a goal tender waiting for certain kinds of commentary, hands held wide apart knowing it can only come from so many angles...

Yeah I just can't take it seriously. I now have hundreds of LDs and exactly 0 are warped. All the rotters I have came in that lot purchased from a user here and all of them are known rot heavy releases such as Bad Boys, Heavy Metal, Men In Black Dirty Dancing [ID5172] etc... It actually gave me a good lesson in what rot really is and the varying levels.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 00:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh man, did I get suckered into these posts????
Should have seen it a mile away with that 25 pound weight.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 00:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well a guy with that user name and avatar complaining he can’t see the nudity in his rated R horror movies...that’s what I was getting at. He’s got some amazing reply ready whenever someone asks him about that.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 04:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nudity was mentioned but I can't see any :(

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 06:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
Nudity was mentioned but I can't see any :(

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 11:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
“Some experts seem to think that problems with warped discs is just a sign that the laser is going out of alignment.” - this sentence makes no sense. Your discs are either wrapped or they aren’t. You can align your player or you can throw it in the sea, the discs are still warped or not warped. They aren’t going to warp and then unwarp for you. Your player isn’t changing its alignment every day to play this disc or not.

I said the bit about alignment in response to statements such as the following on the Usenet thread:

Joshua Zyber: "What you describe could be due to disc warpage, or could be that your
player's laser is slightly out of alignment. The end of CAV disc sides
is a prime place that laser misalignment first manifests itself. "

Kurtis Bahr: "You can try the wrapage first. You need flat surfaces and a lot of weight
on top and it will straighten out. But I think your focus servo is a little out of adjustment which starts as dropout in audio and video jump/skip/freeze and then it will stop."

Publius: "Actually, though, as I say, I don't believe this will solve your
problem. The player is the culprit, for my money, and if you leave it
this way it'll only get worse."

But whatever. Like I already said, I'm not going to be messing with it unless I start having playback problems a lot more often.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 22:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jd213 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
“Some experts seem to think that problems with warped discs is just a sign that the laser is going out of alignment.” - this sentence makes no sense. Your discs are either wrapped or they aren’t. You can align your player or you can throw it in the sea, the discs are still warped or not warped. They aren’t going to warp and then unwarp for you. Your player isn’t changing its alignment every day to play this disc or not.

I said the bit about alignment in response to statements such as the following on the Usenet thread:

Joshua Zyber: "What you describe could be due to disc warpage, or could be that your
player's laser is slightly out of alignment. The end of CAV disc sides
is a prime place that laser misalignment first manifests itself. "

Kurtis Bahr: "You can try the wrapage first. You need flat surfaces and a lot of weight
on top and it will straighten out. But I think your focus servo is a little out of adjustment which starts as dropout in audio and video jump/skip/freeze and then it will stop."

Publius: "Actually, though, as I say, I don't believe this will solve your
problem. The player is the culprit, for my money, and if you leave it
this way it'll only get worse."

But whatever. Like I already said, I'm not going to be messing with it unless I start having playback problems a lot more often.

That actually makes sense to me. My X0 was shipped from Manila to Berlin via Fedex and something can always can happen on its way.
Most discs play fine however I also have some discs where it gets worse towards the end as mentioned by Joshua Zyber. My CLD D925 plays the
same discs just fine.
I also have discs that I can watch from beginning to end however I can see those wavy lines in the picture that are most visible when fast forwarding and it gets
worse towards the end. It is a bit annoying once you notice it but sometimes you don't- But most discs play fine without any wavy lines and audio / video dropouts.
However I can imagine that my player would need some realignment and that it wasn't like this when the player was manufactured and first shipped to its first
buyer. Most likely since the laser focus is not 100% correct it cannot deal with slightly warped discs in the same manner a perfectly alligned player does.

My X0 also has the fuses blown on the DAC board, unfortunately. First I wondered why I wouldn't get any audio via the analogue cinch outputs when switching to
the digital track ( analogue audio works fine ) but then It actually says in the service manual that you have to be careful when opening the player as the fuses
might get blown very easily. it is a shame because I would really like to know how the X0's internal DAC sounds.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 23:24 
True fan
True fan

This is a warped disc correct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VavVDfoo5dA

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 00:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jesuslovesgood wrote:

I have had 1 or 2 discs like this in the past, its not warped I would say its more like a style of rot or just a flaw in the manufacturing process.

The one disc I had was a Japanese pressing and I feel its more of a flaw when made or that one disc just got the botch.

How are you enjoying LD so far??

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 04:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree. That just looks like a bad pressing. I've never seen that sort of thing before though.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 08:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

No it's a warp, I've got a badly warped disc and those zigzagging black lines definitely looks like what my disc does throughout the last third of the play time, there is also the sound "crackling" (for lack of a better word) like in your video.
Also don't leave any bent discs playing for too long as the disc bent part (if it's serious enough) could rattle against the laser lens or maybe some other part of the player and it could potentially damage it (watch for unusual noise from the machine during playback).
As to correct this, user's manual of some players state that the disc should be left in it's plastic/paper sleeve then sandwiched between two glass panels and then need to have some heavy weight put on top of it (like big books), leave it for 2-3 days and it might correct the issue.
It somewhat worked on my part, the disc doesn't play perfectly but the issue appear a little later during the play time now, even though I still find it unwatchable.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 08:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I had quite a warped disc of Pi. That movie by Darren Aronofsky. It would play up to about the 40 min mark of Side A and then make a noise inside the machine and it would stop.

I had an old relatively heavy 20 inch PVM monitor (salvaged from the scrap heap but it turned out to be totally non functional) which I turned upside down so that I could use its flat surface and carefully placed it over the warped disc. Left it for about a fortnight like that and then tested that movie. It now plays to completion on both sides. There's still some zigzagging patterns during the last chapter of both sides of the disc, but otherwise it's good.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 17:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well, I know I've had warped discs and they do look similar but this is not.
I've had well over 2000 discs and only about 2 have had this issue, the warp is very close but not as bad looking in a way.
When flat it will play so that's an issue, these will never play, the one I had would never player and was not warped.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 17:12 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

I have had 1 or 2 discs like this in the past, its not warped I would say its more like a style of rot or just a flaw in the manufacturing process.

How are you enjoying LD so far??

It's my favorite format to watch movies on. Only downside is how expensive the horror movies are. My favorite laserdiscs I own is Friday the 13th and Criterion's release of Halloween. Both look pretty nice on our 65 inch tcl tv. I own over 30 laserdiscs but don't have any intentions on buying anymore because I'm broke. :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 21:05 
True fan
True fan

My Panasonic LX-H670 reads some movies flawlessly but others it will have issues reading the discs. Some discs will read like the disc is warped if I let it auto flip but if I manually flip the disc it makes the laser read the disc better. Why is this issue happening on certain discs? Is my player okay? I don't get what is going on here. Is there any reason I should open up my player and see if any issues are going on? I do think I hear something rattling around inside the player but I don't understand why it read some laserdiscs flawlessly with auto-flip but not others where it requires me to manually flip it otherwise I have issues with the video and audio. This confuses me greatly. Does anyone have an answer on what is going on? I would probably say 75 percent of the movies I own have no issues being read with auto-flip but that other 25 percent does have issues that require me to flip it manually. I have about 36 movies in total. Do I just happen to own discs that are either warped or laserdisc rot but it doesn't explain why manually flipping it gets rid of most of the video and audio issues on some discs.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 21:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sounds more like centering issue.
Don't know how to fix but that's what the issue sounds like.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 22:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You need to buy like four more players. Then you don’t have to guess if your discs are bad or not.

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about non-Pioneer LD players so I can’t really even guess why I doesn’t side change properly.

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3