It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:35

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Do you upgrade your laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 21:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Are you happy to stick with your laserdisc version of a film or do you upgrade to the blu-ray or 4K version when it becomes available?

Post subject: Re: Do you upgrade your laserdscs?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 22:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It depends.

I usually never replace an LD unless it’s either a pan & scan edition or has laser rot. Also, I have retained a lot of duplicate titles on both LD and DVD due to different cuts of a film or different supplemental materials. I can’t recall at this time if I have something on both LD and Blu ray but I’m pretty sure I don’t since most of my Blu rays are newer movies.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 22:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
It depends.

I usually never replace an LD unless it’s either a pan & scan edition or has laser rot. Also, I have retained a lot of duplicate titles on both LD and DVD due to different cuts of a film or different supplemental materials. I can’t recall at this time if I have something on both LD and Blu ray but I’m pretty sure I don’t since most of my Blu rays are newer movies.

That's interesting. I'm certainly thinking of picking up lasserdiscs over their blu-rays because I quite like the look of older films.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 01:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have stuff like Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park etc on LD, DVD and BD so uh, yes I upgrade but I don't get rid of the old ones either.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 01:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
I have stuff like Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park etc on LD, DVD and BD so uh, yes I upgrade but I don't get rid of the old ones either.

I mean it makes sense if you're a fan of the movie. I've got at least three copies of Total Recall already and I'm still thinking about picking up a Laserdisc of it.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 02:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

strideristhebest wrote:
Are you happy to stick with your laserdisc version of a film or do you upgrade to the blu-ray or 4K version when it becomes available?

I've got an easy upgrade path :-)

I skipped VHS.
Went big into LD.
Mostly skipped DVD (except for music/concerts recorded post-2000).
Barely touched BluRay.
But I DO upgrade to 4K whenever a title I like shows up.

So for me... LD => 4K

Can't wait for the Indiana Jones 4K boxset to come join the Indiana Jones Trilogy [PILF-1560] and the Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection.

Same for BTTF => Back to the Future Trilogy [PILF-1583], 4K UHD boxset and Intrada Special Collection for first two movies. Sadly I sold the Hi-Vision LD Trilogy years ago.

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 02:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Unless I really, really like the film or it is only available cut or P&S on LD (I don't mind 1.85 P&S.) I only keep the LD release.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 05:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

strideristhebest wrote:
That's interesting. I'm certainly thinking of picking up lasserdiscs over their blu-rays because I quite like the look of older films.

I’ve been doing that as well. Just picked up the original Manchurian Candidate as well as some older classics shot on 4:3 ratio.

I find that classics in particular translate well for LD in respect to maintaining that film look. Also, I have heard that some classic film transfers on Blu ray have made them look worse but a I can’t personally confirm that.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 07:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I upgrade to the best possible presentation, seldomly, that’s LD.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 14:23 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Depends on the movie. I have Amadeus with different cuts on different on media so I keep each copy as its not a true upgrade since one is theatrical and the others are "director's cut"
but if everything is roughly the same I keep the newer one unless I just love it enough to keep the various copies.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 16:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

strideristhebest wrote:

The best thing is to figure out what films fit your criteria to keep or collect.

Films on LD I try to stick with are anime, theatrical cuts not on other formats, open matte and LD only, if its not on DVD I keep it,
if its on another later newer format I won't change to get that newer format too many things in the house I need to sort and
can't do another format.

Today my main focus are discs that are not on DVD or Bluray, if they are on DVD I may upgrade but only if the DVD is cheaper
so I can get money for making this switch.

I won't go for Bluray, I tried and picked up about 10 years ago and decided I can't see the difference due to my eyes and other
priorities.

No sense in dumping the LD in the trash to buy it on DVD or Bluray or even 4K for more money out.
I see this as a partial money grab, did back in the day when I was a kid shopping with my father for LDs.
How many times can you buy the same film over and over again with extras they just discovered behind their toilets and make
a new limited release.

Only advice that I can give is don't just buy your favorite film on LD to see how bad it is, enjoy it on the format you are used to.
I've done that and always go back to the LD since I've watched said film for too many years that I lost track and just enjoy that film
on that format.

Post subject: Re: Do you upgrade your laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 22:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

For some films I upgrade to Blu-Ray or 4K, while others I am fine with an SD version. I am glad I upgraded Wizard of Oz to 4K, but still plan on keeping both the VHS and Criterion Laserdisc versions.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 23:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Most of the actual movies I've got on LD are ones I don't really care all that much about so I can't see myself "upgrading" them. Some of them are versions that to my knowledge aren't available on another format anyway, or in the case of something like the Ewok movies or True Lies are still only available on DVD and I don't consider the quality bump to be worth the cost.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 23:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I’ve been ordering a few films from the nineties over their Blu-ray counterparts as it feels more authentic. I think i’ll Draw the line when it comes to the horror stuff though. Seems super expensive.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 01:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My LaserDisc upgrade equals getting the latest version on LD before termination of the format.
Peak sound and visual experience available at the time of tech development.

If I own multiple copies of a title, it is to posses the latest version for best audio /visual experience on LaserDisc...

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 01:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I do upgrade - sometimes from a pan & scan version to a later, digital transfer widescreen LD. Sometimes to a Bluray if I am a big fan of the movie and I think it would benefit. E.g. the new 4K Flash Gordon blows away all previous versions. . . but I'm not getting rid of my LD either.

Curiously, I've also started to 'downgrade'. I have every Harryhausen sci-fi/fantasy pic on DVD or Blu, but I've started to collect them all again in LD. The transfers may not be as pristine, may even have scratches and dirt from the optical effects. . .but that just increases the nostalgic appeal.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 05:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, I used to have the special edition DVD of Top Gun and never replaced it...until I got the Japanese Special Collection LD of it :?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 01:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spudeus wrote:

Curiously, I've also started to 'downgrade'. I have every Harryhausen sci-fi/fantasy pic on DVD or Blu, but I've started to collect them all again in LD. The transfers may not be as pristine, may even have scratches and dirt from the optical effects. . .but that just increases the nostalgic appeal.

I can understand this. I personally love the scratches and dirt that appear in older movies as it almost feels like watching it at the cinema. Especially when I can hear the whir of my p,Ayer in quieter scenes.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 05:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I actually downgrade frequently. If I have a movie I really like on DVD/BD, I often pick up the LD. I used to just get big lots of LDs and most of them ended up being junk. Now I build my collection more slowly, for more money, but only with discs I actually like a lot and are likely to play frequently.

That's actually advice I'd give newbies. Don't buy huge LD lots unless you know it has a bunch of stuff you'd actually want. What good is having 500 LDs if they all suck?

I sometimes upgrade too. I watched Total Recall for the first time a few weeks ago. It was on LD. Great movie, so I picked up the BD cheap the next day.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 18:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I do upgrade my LDs. So long as it IS an upgrade on blu-ray.

I mean I had Halloween II on LD which is supposed to be pretty rare having been released in the early or mid-80s and letterboxed. I got the 2011 blu-ray mostly because it featured the "documentary"/compilation movie Terror in the Aisles as an extra. After some time I realized I really had no reason to hold onto the old Japanese LD of this movie since the blu-ray was superior all round and even was closer to the original theatrical aspect ratio than the LD, so I sold it. No regrets whatsoever.

Now I do still get blu-rays of other movies, especially Disney animated films, but I play to keep the LDs since Disney often changes a lot in their transfers EVERY SINGLE TIME. So it's worthwhile to me to have a quality version of the movie before they messed with it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next