It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: S-Video Cables
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 08:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just relocated my LD setup and wondering if there is a better s-video cable that could squeeze out even a better picture from my R7G.
Currently using a very short Tech+Link S-Video cable.
I know from my D590 using some cheap composite cable to a good decent 75OHM shielded is noticeably better to me.
Just curious what to look for in a S-Video cable if i could see any improvement or am i just squeezing blood out of a stone? :eh:
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Post subject: Re: S-Video Cables
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 11:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jakeheke wrote:
Just relocated my LD setup and wondering if there is a better s-video cable that could squeeze out even a better picture from my R7G.
Currently using a very short Tech+Link S-Video cable.
I know from my D590 using some cheap composite cable to a good decent 75OHM shielded is noticeably better to me.
Just curious what to look for in a S-Video cable if i could see any improvement or am i just squeezing blood out of a stone? :eh:

I’ve tried various s-video cables over the years and have had several higher end examples from the likes of Kimber, Chord, Ixos etc. All of these offer a slight improvement over the regular stuff in the £/€2-15 bracket when viewed on my projection setup and no doubt the same would apply for high-end oled displays of say over 50”. I’m thinking your 7G is definitely deserving the best you can afford Jake?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 13:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I took the gaffer's advice above when I got my R7G. I got a juicy one for it. I think it's made out of gold, frankenstein and myrrh.

Usually I don't care for cables when it's digital stuff. For analog though I do care. I don't mind paying more for a well made cable with quality materials.

I draw the line at the snake oil stuff. Cables built by virgins, airgapped by particles of uranium and sheathed in layers of minerals so rare they have to be mined from alien planets outside of our galaxy. No thanks.

Make sure to pet your R7G regularly too. Let it know you appreciate it's brilliance. :D

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 14:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Quality s-video cables matter...but mostly I say this because some are so bad, not because you’ll actually see the benefits of oxygen free copper or whatever. I do recommend gold plated stuff though, just because it never corrodes. Get something that won’t fall out but also won’t destroy the port. Use the shortest cable you can and don’t route it too close to other power supplies, amps, etc.

Medium end Monster should do the trick, still available here and there online for less than $10 since almost nobody uses s-video anymore.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 16:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had monster cables, they were higher end and picked them up cheap on ebay used.
Had black net on the cable, totally overbuilt but did a really nice job compared to cheaper ones I had.

I no longer use these anymore for video.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 03:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Interesting. I read several years back in a technical printing that the laserdisc video output was a composite video and S-video was not any better. Love to hear the other side of that conclusion. Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 06:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xyscaling wrote:
Interesting. I read several years back in a technical printing that the laserdisc video output was a composite video and S-video was not any better. Love to hear the other side of that conclusion. Thanks

You are correct about that but there are exceptions to every rule. The application of S-Video for LD can be looked at from this perspective.....

The comb filter in the TV is superior than the Y/C Separator in the LD player; you use the composite output of the player.

The comb filter in the TV is inferior than the Y/C Separator in the LD player; you use the S-Video output of the player.

Also, many LD players from 1993 and later (like the Pioneer CLD-D703) actually has a re-processed composite video out post Y/C separation so it may have a compromised quality to it. With this in mind, it just keeps making it more complicated deciding which is better. So, If you are not sure which device has the better video processing circuit, you try both and see which one has the more pleasing picture to you.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 07:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
Make sure to pet your R7G regularly too. Let it know you appreciate it's brilliance. :D

Its was lucky enough to be given a good thorough clean.
May give it a pat at Christmas time... :P

Thanks for the input team :thumbup:
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 14:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

xyscaling wrote:

Do a search.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 17:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
xyscaling wrote:

Do a search.

Don’t search. Just try it both ways yourself and ignore other people’s qualitative opinions of other peoples’ setups.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2021, 18:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
xyscaling wrote:

Do a search.

Don’t search. Just try it both ways yourself and ignore other people’s qualitative opinions of other peoples’ setups.

Because LD is composite, it has to be converted "somewhere". The key is which converter "somewhere" is better. Is the converter in your LD player better? Or is the converter in your TV better? Or your receiver? Or your composite to HDMI doodad from amazon.com ?

Like signofzeta says, try it both ways. Look for stair step patterns on diagonal white lines ( i remember using the stripes on a road). Look for checkerboard pattersn in color transitions.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2021, 21:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

A good thing about the S-Video mini din type connector is that it's pretty hard to over-engineer into a connector breaking "monster" like certain old Monster RCA cables. The insertion force on some of those old "videophile" RCA cables was ridiculous and could literally tear the connectors off the pcb in your equipment. Basically, there's little constraint on the outer diameter of RCA plugs, leading to one's with the death grip, while that din plug is tight quarters (and different mechanics) such that they pretty much have to stick to spec dimensions.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2021, 00:56 
Second post
Second post

Hello all, long time since I posted.

I agree with the mid range Monster.

I use Acoustic Research Master Series. Hah, despite the hubris of the whole brand name and line (Master Series lol), they are really nice mid range cables to be had affordably.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2022, 19:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I use Ixos and QED S-video cables on my players.
These were high end stuff and very expensive some 20 years ago.

Colors, clarity and stability in picture is so much better with a more expensive cable than using a cheapo.
I tried both cables and compared details between cables around the WB logo on my TV.
The cheapo no name cable was very jittery around the WB logo where the more expensive cable was free from static with added stability being a proper 75 ohm.

I would say using good stuff do improve pic quality.
It's no snake oil.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2022, 00:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You’re comparing garbage to overpriced boutique stuff. A Kia versus a Koenigsegg. The sane money is on decent mid grade. There is no upgrade to be had beyond the basic spec, just don’t buy total trash.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2022, 02:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When i first made this thread a member here who may pipe up, spent time comparing S-Video cables for R7G/H9 and the like recommended and sent me a cable from a company called NeoTech.
http://wp.neotechcable.com/
Doing a A/B comparison with my original cable there was a improvement, not drastic but noticeable and surprising.

Please do note the individual sheathing construction it beholds.

Gets the Jake Heke stamp of approval :thumbup:
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2022, 20:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jakeheke wrote:
When i first made this thread a member here who may pipe up, spent time comparing S-Video cables for R7G/H9 and the like recommended and sent me a cable from a company called NeoTech.
http://wp.neotechcable.com/
Doing a A/B comparison with my original cable there was a improvement, not drastic but noticeable and surprising.

Please do note the individual sheathing construction it beholds.

Gets the Jake Heke stamp of approval :thumbup:

That is pretty impressive looking.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2022, 05:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Good to see you reply signofzeta.
Not many products get the Jake Heke stamp of approval but these cables do,

Ill assume the individual sheathing keeps the Luma and Chroma signal separate but regardless,
in my New Zealand eye balls it provides a better image than much more expensive cables i have trialed.
Again S-Video cables for future readers really should only be used with few LaserDisc players with special 3-D comb filters, else your TV will do a better job via composite which you should use with other players
Thank you to the kind user here who generously sent them to me. :wave:
iScan DUO Processor

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]