It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:31

Page 1 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Major Collection For Sale - 3,773 Titles - $125,000
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 18:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I turned 66 today, August 8. The time has come to sell my beloved laserdiscs collection. It is one of the finest in the world, I believe. 3,773 titles. A few select highlights are: a sealed Hong Kong "Song of the South," a sealed, recalled Criterion "The Prince of Tides," The 6th Day, Stigmata, U-571, X-Men, The Matrix, two sealed DTS Titanics, two sealed Scream 3s, and Classic Albums - Steely Dan - Aja. Strong in all genres + music, including silent films, other than Disney/anime. Conditions vary, of course, but a good many of these were purchased directly by me from Ken Crane's back in the day and have been retained in excellent condition. Pretty much all of the late US releases, including End of Days. A good many of the late Japanese releases (sorry, no Cell, Limey, Titan A.E, Crimson River, or Tokyo Raiders). 203 Box Sets including Hollywood, Ilsa Trilogy, and Encyclopedia of Horror. 77 DTS titles, which is virtually all of the US releases, including a sealed "Schindler's List" + Alien: Resurrection (Japan) and Independence Day (Japan) and Ransom (Japan). 358 AC-3 titles including Blast From the Past, The Bone Collector (sealed), Bringing Out the Dead (Japanese) and Double Jeopardy (Japanese). 304 Criterions, which is pretty much all of them. 9 Anamorphic/Squeeze titles including Terminator 2: Judgment Day (THX). At least 600 films or music titles that I consider to be highly-rare and/or collectible, including Chimes at Midnight, Exorcist 2, Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell, Gestapo's Last Orgy, The Karen Carpenter Story, Sleepy Hollow (2 copies), Trog, Paula Abdul - Under My Spell, Chet Baker - Let's Get Lost, The Beatles - Ultimate Live Collection, Cabaret Voltaire - Gasoline in Your Eye, Songs From the Life of Leonard Cohen, The Durutti Column - Live in Japan, Serge Gainsbourg, The Ike and Tina Turner Show, INXS - The Great Video Experience, Jackie Wilson on Shindig, Very Best of Robert Palmer, Very Best of Leo Sayer, Leon Russell/Edgar Winter at The Main Point, Simple Minds - Glittering Prize, Troggs Collection, Ronnie Wood and Bo Diddley Live at the Ritz, Velvet Underground - Curious. Hundreds of others. Also, for many dozens of what are considered to be the classic films, I have not only the most-recent US release but also beautiful Japanese releases in many instances. My asking price for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is $125,000. If you ask, I will be happy to explain how I came up with that figure, which I believe to be a very fair asking price. Believe me, I have invested considerably more than that in compiling the collection. For established LDDB sellers, I would also allow a nice discount. And, if the collection sells, I will make a nice contribution to LDDB, since I have found it to be such a valuable resource over the years. Heck, I'll probably do that regardless. I am interested only in selling the collection as a whole. No cherry-picking. Absolutely no exceptions. Sorry. Also, payment must be made in full, no installment payments, and local pick-up only. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. I will assist with packing, of course, but you will need to make arrangements for transportation from my home in St. Paul to your home/business. Thank you for your consideration. It is hard for me to part with this beautiful collection, but the time has come. PM me with any questions/requests for more-detailed info. Eric Eide

Post subject: Re: Major Collection For Sale - 3,773 Titles - $125,000
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 18:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I wish this were like an episode or TV show, would love to watch this one.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 02:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ericeide wrote:
I turned 66 today, August 8. The time has come to sell my beloved laserdiscs collection. It is one of the finest in the world, I believe. 3,773 titles.

Happy birthday then!!

Maybe you could add them to your collection and turn it public so that the whole list can be easily seen?

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 04:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I wish that was feasible, Julien, but it is much too daunting a task for me to try to undertake at this point in time. Around 2,000 of the collection are common US releases, as is to be expected in a collection as large as this. I think everyone has a pretty good understanding of what those titles are without my having to list The Exorcist, The Godfather, The Sting, Goodfellas, The Deer Hunter, True Lies, Smokey and the Bandit, etc., etc., etc. I have virtually all of the Criterion and DTS releases, so no mystery there. Regarding the box sets and AC-3 releases, I think people can reasonably assume with a pretty high degree of certainty what I have there and I will happily answer any specific inquiries about that or anything else. Other than the common titles, the box sets, the AC-3s, the DTSs, the Criterions, and the anamorphic/squeeze titles, I have identified 600+ other miscellaneous discs that I consider to be highly-rare and/or valuable and I will specify as many of those as possible to anyone who PMs me that has a genuine possible interest in purchasing this magnificent collection. Yes, I sure do wish now that I had created a list of my collection back when I first joined LDDB years ago, and I can surely understand if some prospective buyers will not be interested in a purchase of this size and $ amount in the absence of a complete list, but such is simply not possible at this time. Eric

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 13:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I was going to say outrageous but then I started doing the math and price seems reasonable if not great. Problem being who in the heck has or is going to spend that amount all at once.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 13:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Usually 3700 discs will get you about $3700. Unless you’re too lazy to even list them and then you don’t have a chance of even that. YOU were the one that this collection was made for. You enjoyed it (what you took out of the plastic anyway) nobody else is going to put into it what you did or even a sliver of it. Nobody cares about Prince of Tides in 2021 let alone a rare pressing of it. If someone wants DTS sound now they buy a $5 Blu-ray. Let’s Get Lost was at one point an essential import for US Chet Baker fans but now there is a US DVD and even an Italian Blu-ray. I paid…I don’t remember…for it but now it’s worth like $3 and even then only to the right person.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 14:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would recommend to follow a basic pecking order:

1/ Sell great individual titles separately (the ones above $500)
2/ Sell the Criterion Collection as a lot
3/ Sell the DTS collection as a lot
4/ Sell the AC3 as a lot
5/ Sell the rest at a more reasonable/practical price

I can't imagine someone ready to spend $125K who doesn't already have some/most of these titles and buying them all to have to resell a good chunk will deter many.

It's a little more work but it increases the chances of finding a buyer + cash starts coming in without having to find a buyer for the whole lot.

For $125K, even though I LOVE LDs, I'd look at real estate.
I could buy a 25m2 studio in Tokyo that yields a 6~8% return for that amount.

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 14:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Reminder - I will allow a sizable discount from the $125,000 for established LDDB sellers, to account for a reasonable profit margin on their end. It will take some time, but this is a lucrative opportunity for patient resellers who are not in a big hurry to recoup their cash outlay, but realize selling these discs will result in a big net gain for them in the long run. And for pure collectors, yes, $125,000 is a lot of money, but I believe it is a reasonable amount for such a unique collection that will provide the lucky purchaser with loads of enjoyment and entertainment for many years to come. Eric

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 18:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It won’t sell. Even if you give %75 off to any seller here or anywhere. You couldn’t sell 3700 Hi-Vision titles for that much.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 19:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

One never knows. What I do know is that there are plenty of people in the world with plenty of money. How many of those people might be interested in this collection, and how many of them will become aware of this posting before it expires, are things I don't know. I guess we'll know more in a couple of weeks when the posting is scheduled to be purged (if it doesn't sell prior to then). Eric

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 00:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ericeide wrote:
One never knows.

One does know this:

You're gonna be sitting on that lot for a long time. Something's gotta give, and it's not going to be the buyer.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 01:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I am amazed when someone pays $125,000, or more, for a baseball card. Or $125,000, or more, for a comic book. Or $125,000, or more, for a stamp. Or $125,000, or more, for a coin. Or $125,000, or more, for a painting. I realize such purchases are typically made as investments, but undeniably there are people who buy such things just for the sheer pleasure of owning them. That being the case, there are without doubt people out there who would take pleasure and enjoyment in knowing that they are the owners of one of the finest laserdisc collections in the entire world. For them, $125,000 would be a bargain. I don't know if I'm going to be successful in finding such a person, but I have no doubt they exist. Eric

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 01:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ericeide wrote:
I wish that was feasible, Julien, but it is much too daunting a task for me to try to undertake at this point in time.

I think you won't have the luxury of skipping that part.
For that amount, I would expect a full, detailed list with a set of pictures for EACH title.

If you want to sell "blind", then you'll have to offer a huge discount to raise interest.

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 06:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Tell us whatever you are on

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 15:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ericeide wrote:
I am amazed when someone pays $125,000, or more, for a baseball card. Or $125,000, or more, for a comic book. Or $125,000, or more, for a stamp. Or $125,000, or more, for a coin. Or $125,000, or more, for a painting. I realize such purchases are typically made as investments, but undeniably there are people who buy such things just for the sheer pleasure of owning them. That being the case, there are without doubt people out there who would take pleasure and enjoyment in knowing that they are the owners of one of the finest laserdisc collections in the entire world. For them, $125,000 would be a bargain. I don't know if I'm going to be successful in finding such a person, but I have no doubt they exist. Eric

You do know these aren't slabbed baseball cards, slabed comics, stamps, slabbed coins, or paintings.

You are asking house prices, people who have house money cash don't buy this type of stuff.
I know a guy who has money, you may be lucky if he paid 10% of your asking.
He wanted to spend 10k to make 100K.

No way will he be able to buy these for 100K and make a million.

You're still young, older than me but young enough, start piecemealing these out now.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 09:46 
True fan
True fan

That 33 USD per disc.

Yeah I have a bit of news, unless you stumble on some hipster with daddy's plastic it's not going to happen.
There are valuable titles but people look for them in individual form not as a part of a lot that costs 125K.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 09:53 
True fan
True fan

ericeide wrote:

Any of the items you mentioned that sold for those amounts are graded and put in a special enclosure. Something tells me you will not be doing that with all the discs.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 17:33 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you for all the selling advice I have received. But do I really come across to you guys as someone who has not already carefully considered all of my various selling options? Thanks to the generosity of Julien, I am able to post my collection for sale as a lot at no cost to me. So why wouldn't I take advantage of that opportunity? If it sells, great! If it doesn't pan out, I will consider other options.

A couple of you have mentioned the mean average asking price of $33/title, which you seem to think is unrealistically high. I think a more "meaningful" way of thinking about this, is the median average, which is only $12.50. Included in the 3,773 discs are 2,000 at just $12.50 apiece and 237 for just $1.00 apiece. And, let me remind you, even less than that for established LDDB sellers. Included in the 2,000 are hundreds of music titles (rock, mostly) and numerous CinemaDisc, Pioneer Special Edition, RKO, Roan, and THX titles and other gems.

Rein-o, you seemed to have missed, or overlooked my point. I was talking about the intrinsic joys of collecting/ownership, not investment opportunities. And maybe it's an age thing, but I have no idea what you mean by "slabbed" (or "slabed").

Therussian, clearly the seller of a single valuable item is going to go into great detail when describing that item, but my point was that there are people in the world who spend crazy amounts of money on things that would seem rather valueless, in essence, to many of us. You cannot deny that whoever purchases my collection will be getting a great amount of "bang for the buck," to use an American colloquialism.

Substance, you want to know what I am on. What I am "on," is a new wonder drug that refrains me, usually, from responding in kind to nasty comments. It is called B-NYS. You should try some. And before someone can say I should try a different wonder drug, B-RIIL, I'm preemptively using that line myself, since it is much too good of a comeback to pass up.

Yes, I am fully rational. I totally understand how much of a long shot this is. To reference another American colloquialism, this time from American football, it is a "Hail Mary pass." But I still remain hopeful because I painfully remember how many times my beloved Minnesota Vikings have been beaten by Hail Marys over the years (of course, we also managed to win a few games in such dramatic fashion). No one of you can say definitively that this collection has no chance of selling as a lot. Slim as it may be, there is always a chance, and, as I say, if it doesn't, I'll look into other ways to sell it.

Have a NYS day, everyone. Eric

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 18:31 
True fan
True fan

:lol:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 19:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ok - I now know what "slabbing" is. Since it is slang, my dictionary/thesaurus were not helpful, but a Google search reveals that "slabbing" is getting a baseball card/comic book professionally graded and then encased in an un-openable hard plastic shell. Certainly rein-o, therussian, and some others of you, are not suggesting I do that for my 3,773 laserdiscs? I have never heard of such a thing for laserdiscs, know of no one who would offer such services for laserdiscs, and it certainly seems like the un-openable shell would detract from enjoyment of the discs. Again, I think most laserdiscs people collect laserdiscs for enjoyment, not as investments. And as I mentioned in my prior posting, when sellers are trying to sell a single item such as a baseball card or a comic book for big bucks, I can understand taking extreme measures such as "slabbing" to increase its value and attractiveness to potential buyers, but that is not the same situation as what we are discussing here. Eric

Page 1 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next