It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:25

Page 6 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Major Collection For Sale - 3,773 Titles - $125,000
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2023, 17:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Glad to hear you are piecemealing them out, you will always profit from that more than a bulk sale.

Its much easier to buy then it is to sell things like this off.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2023, 23:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Glad to see selling them is going well. In my experience the cheap discs do sell as well. Usually to people that buy several at once to bundle shipping.

tl;dr rambling about the original topic which really doesn't matter since the inevitable of selling individually happened.

The problem was always that the only interested buyers in a lot of that magnitude are resellers. No reseller would pay even the $100,000 on a gross value lot of $131,835. By the time you factor in selling fees and shipping there might not even be meat on the bone at a $100,000 buy-in let alone all the time and effort required to sell. That's 75%, not even the most aggressive resale markets with thin margins do that. The highest I've seen is MTG cards where the big dog stores will pay pretty damn well. Video games you would be fortunate to get 40% cash from most places though I could direct anyone to some better options. Most used media ie DVDs/BDs you will get 20% or worse and no store will take LDs of course. I actually think $50,000 would have been extremely fair to take that on and as has been shown by the selling the buyer in this scenario wouldn't have turned a profit over 2 years. We will never know but it intrigues me what a bigger seller would have offered. I would guess under $30,000. When you want maximum value it requires a lot of time and effort while also selling things individually.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2023, 01:17 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

gypsy wrote:
Glad to see selling them is going well. In my experience the cheap discs do sell as well. Usually to people that buy several at once to bundle shipping.

tl;dr rambling about the original topic which really doesn't matter since the inevitable of selling individually happened.

The problem was always that the only interested buyers in a lot of that magnitude are resellers. No reseller would pay even the $100,000 on a gross value lot of $131,835. By the time you factor in selling fees and shipping there might not even be meat on the bone at a $100,000 buy-in let alone all the time and effort required to sell. That's 75%, not even the most aggressive resale markets with thin margins do that. The highest I've seen is MTG cards where the big dog stores will pay pretty damn well. Video games you would be fortunate to get 40% cash from most places though I could direct anyone to some better options. Most used media ie DVDs/BDs you will get 20% or worse and no store will take LDs of course. I actually think $50,000 would have been extremely fair to take that on and as has been shown by the selling the buyer in this scenario wouldn't have turn a profit over 2 years. We will never know but it intrigues me what a bigger seller would have offered. I would guess under $30,000. When you want maximum value it requires a lot of time and effort while also selling things individually.

Right on point. 2 years plus and sold only 1/3rd of the inventory. No one in his right might would lock $100k for a mere 25% return over multiple years.

We all said sell them individually and it will take you a year or so. Yes, we were wrong. It seems it will take more like 5 years or so to sell them all. We weren't bullies. We tried to set realistic expectations. Some of us gave really good advise. If OP didn't ignore them, he would have kept more of that $47k (gross) into his pocket.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2023, 02:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Even after two years of silence on my part, I still seem to rub you the wrong way, substance. I honestly don't know why that is the case. All I'm trying to do is get my collection sold.

I ignored no one's advice about the best way(s) to go about doing that. I gave due consideration to all that was said. In fact, within two months after I started this thread, I began selling my laserdiscs piecemeal, which was the predominant advice that was given to me, and which I knew all along was probably what I was going to have to do.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2023, 04:51 
Second post
Second post

Hi , well I think its great you are selling them , that way others can enjoy them like you have .
well done!!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2023, 05:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Since there was quite a bit of interest in this topic ever since I started it 26 months ago (as evidenced by the 105 replies and 10,647 views since then), I wanted to provide an update, which I have now done. I have nothing further to add and so I will now be going silent once again. Perhaps I will provide an additional update in October 2025. Peace. Eric

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2023, 06:02 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ericeide wrote:
Even after two years of silence on my part, I still seem to rub you the wrong way, substance. I honestly don't know why that is the case. All I'm trying to do is get my collection sold.

I ignored no one's advice about the best way(s) to go about doing that. I gave due consideration to all that was said. In fact, within two months after I started this thread, I began selling my laserdiscs piecemeal, which was the predominant advice that was given to me, and which I knew all along was probably what I was going to have to do.

Did you take clear pictures of your collection? Did you catalog them here so whoever is interested knows which versions you have?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2023, 22:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Wow... I think I learned a lot about humanity in general reading this thread (and about the mindset of some very rude members). Glad you decided to split the sale.

Page 6 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6