It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Watch Out, We're Mad! (1974) [SF078-5034] What did I miss
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2021, 21:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Was going through my collection on the database to make sure all of what I own is in my collection and
saw this one for sale........
Watch Out, We're Mad! (1974) [SF078-5034]

Is there something I'm missing??? I know even if the film has been released on DVD it won't bother the price of the LD
but this is crazy and someone has to let me in on the deal here.
I don't think I need my LD that badly if I can cash in.

Post subject: Re: Watch Out, We're Mad! (1974) [SF078-5034] What did I mis
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2021, 10:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Forgetting everything about that LD for one minute. I just wanted to say that film is one of the best films ever made. It's so funny!

Just get the Blu Ray though. Save the money. Just do anything you can to watch it though. :D

EDIT: Just noticed the hot dog eating contest is missing from the Japan Laserdisc? Sheesh. What a waste of money. Just get the Blu.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2021, 14:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think I've read its not on the DVD either, so its on the bluray??
May need to buy the bluray now, break my rule and sell off the LD????

The music scene is crazy.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2021, 15:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
The music scene is crazy.

You mean this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a useful comparison on the Blu Ray. The DVD is listed too as a separate entry.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=55930

Watch Out We're Mad! is just a wonderful film. I absolutely adore it. In my personal opinion it's right up there as one of the finest comedy films of all time. I bought the video game Slaps and Beans on Nintendo Switch too the second it came out to buy. Never have I seen a video game with so much fan service to Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.

I felt compared to write about it here if anyone cares:

https://thecoter.ie/2020/01/06/slaps-an ... he-decade/

The fact they got the Oliver Onions music too (Guido and Maurizio de Angelis, who else? :angel: ) is just a massive bonus. "Come and ride with in my buggy!" indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh and I'll just leave this here... :lol:

If anyone reading this hasn't seen the film then you haven't lived. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2021, 17:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

My story about this that I can only partially remember.
I bought the Japanese LD over 10 years ago from a person overseas, I think I paid 35 bucks for it plus shipping, this is when shipping used to be 10 or 15 bucks.
It was on ebay and may have been from Belgium, that is sticking in my head for some reason.

Anyway I can't remember how or why I found out about this film but had to watch it and there were no versions on youtube at the time, or that I can remember.
It is one of the best, and one of the films I'm so happy to have seen, even if missing the hot dog eating contest, which I've seen on youtube more recently.

Great film, great time, I think I need to spin this LD again, I think the beginning was squeezed for the credits which was sort of cool but only for a minute as
its probably a 1.85 or less widescreen of a film and then it goes open matte.

My buggy. Oh its stuck in my head and I didn't even watch any videos or clips, just catches in your brain. My buggy

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2021, 10:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's bugging me as to why the Japan Laserdisc has the beer and hot dog sequence removed. That's quite bizarre as it's one of the best scenes in the film in my opinion. You are right the film was shot 1:85:1. I'd never seen it in it's proper AR for years as all the home versions started off in 1:85:1 but then I think went to 1:33:1?

Was the opening squeezed to fit on the Laserdisc too? It's all starting to sound like a bag of grapefruits to me. If I owned the Laserdisc I'd be getting shot of it as it sounds like a mess. Ditch that and then switch to the (not exactly cheap unfortunately) Blu Ray and that's the end of the line there. The full film, proper AR, juicy picture and audio as crisp as a castrato singing "I shot the sherriff" on a clear Autumn day. Belissimo! :thumbup:

By the way, yer man Terence Hill made a great little film back in the late 1970's when he tried to make it in Hollywood. He done a turn in a film called Mr Billion with the lovely Valerie Perrine. It was a massive flop. I think critics at the time were probably too harsh on it as it is a better film than what reviews say it is in my opinion. Not as slapstick and belly-achingly funny as his wonderful work with Bud Spencer, but it's still 90 minutes of fun! I have it on a UK Laserdisc as well as Blu Ray (only available in Germany on Blu I think). If you are keen to have a look, go for the Blu Ray.

There's a trailer here but I think it makes the film look more like Dukes Of Hazzard or Cannonball Run than what the final product actually is, which is neither of those films.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2021, 10:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If anyone is keen to get Watch Out We're Mad! on Blu Ray, have a look at these two restoration videos. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2021, 12:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

teddanson wrote:
There's a trailer here but I think it makes the film look more like Dukes Of Hazzard or Cannonball Run than what the final product actually is, which is neither of those films.

Honestly, that could be a contributing factor in why it went over poorly. If people are primed going in to expect a store-brand Dukes of Hazzard, they'll come out thinking it was that or worse unless it's a better DoH than DoH.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2021, 14:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
teddanson wrote:

Honestly, that could be a contributing factor in why it went over poorly. If people are primed going in to expect a store-brand Dukes of Hazzard, they'll come out thinking it was that or worse unless it's a better DoH than DoH.

I'd be more than inclined to say that's what did it. The trailer is terrible. It tries to make Terrence Hill a character that he doesn't play. If ever there was a case for false advertising...

I still think it's a fun little caper. It's nice to see Terence Hill making his Hollywood debut and what they tried to shape him in to. For me though it's always about Terence and Bud together. Simply unbeatable comedy gold. It reminds me I still want to get a jacket with JUMBO on the back of it (I think you can get one on Etsy). The odd thing about their films is that (to the best of my rather limited knowledge), they were never a huge success in the UK and Ireland (possibly the USA too, i'm not sure?). Yet in Europe (Spain, especially Germany and of course Italy and more), holy cow their popularity is to the moon and back, even today. They were an exospherically popular duo.

I'd recommend Miami Cops and Who Finds A Friend Finds A Treasure. The latter film of the two is beyond funny, I think their films should come with health warnings for ruptured spleens from belly laughing too hard. Maybe it's the slapstick fun and silly scripts but for me it's just the sheer stupidity of some of the sequences. Like the guy in the gym fight in Watch Out We're Mad and Bud Spencer keeps saying "Not now!" every time he tries to hit him and pushes him away. Or the dude on the motorbike who gets in to a fight and says "Ow! Not the arm! Not the arm no I need it!" as he's getting dragged off of his bike! :lol: :lol: :lol: The incredibly dubious health and safety in the stunt driving too is great in that film. Just old cars getting ragged around tracks at breakneck speeds, jumping hills, tumbling out of control. Smashes, petrol and dirt everywhere. Good times. :thumbup:

I had a look there through the discussions around the 3L Blu Ray releases in Germany. Dear God the films have some next level grade of red tape wrapped around them. What a minefield! I think though with these discs it's a case of 3L probably doing the best they could around the legal and licensing stuff. Also the fact the English and Italian tracks all have forced German subtitles is a pain. That means you'll be likely dumping your discs to a NAS etc and removing the forced German PGS subtitle track. Sadly although the modchip on my Panasonic can skip restricted navigation etc I don't think the firmware can disable forced subtitles.

One other thing, Watch Out We're Mad! appears to be quite expensive on it's own these days. You'd be better off buying it in one of the many 3L box sets. Side note, the 20 film box set doesn't have it, you're better off getting the Bud Spencer Jumbo XXL box set which does have it plus some other great films. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 23:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just a heads up, the Jumbo XXL box has just dropped to an all-time low price. Didn't even blink and swagged it before the price goes back up.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B07T1LHJR1

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]