It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 16:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Genesis: Invisible Touch Tour (1988) [42LS 2008]
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2020, 23:18 
True fan
True fan

Link: Genesis: Invisible Touch Tour (1988) [42LS 2008] (edited, please use the Forum generated links)

This disc is whopper. The picture quality and especially the audio are absolutely first class.

However, there is one thing about this disc that is even more spectacular.

Just how fecking quickly does the Sun make a swift exit!? It's not natural! The gig starts at what looks like the middle of the afternoon. 35 minutes later it's absolutely pitch black!

I remember more about the great storm that Michael Fish never warned us about 3 months after this gig than weather the Summer of 1987 was any good weather-wise. I was too busy listening to The Jets, Morris Minor and the Majors and Five Star to care.

So to sum up my review, the weather is bizarre. The audio and video is good too but forget that, get this for the weather, oh and Phil's haircut is tremendous as well.

That's all I have.

Post subject: Re: Genesis: Invisible Touch Tour (1988) [42LS 2008]
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2020, 02:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:
This disc is whopper. The picture quality and especially the audio are absolutely first class.

Shot on SONY HDVS 1,125 line video system (basically Hi-Vision), can't be bad if SONY did a good conversion to NTSC!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_HDVS#Uses

Quote:
For the Genesis Invisible Touch Tour shows at Wembley Stadium in July 1987, the Sony HDVS system was used to film these shows and later released in VHS and LaserDisc in 1988 and DVD in 2003.

The day to night instant transition happens on quite many concerts, I believe the group took a break mid-show that is not reflected/explained on the video release?

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2020, 08:51 
True fan
True fan

Yep, it has a few notes at the start about how the concert was filmed and down converted. In the end credits you can see who did it, some crowd in New York.

The weather though is odd. This thing doesn't look time edited, the setlist is seamless. My guess is if it was July it would be getting dark in London around 9:30pm as the longest day is June 21st and is usually light until around 10:30pm. Draw in by an hour over 2 or 3 weeks is fairly quick though?

The gig gets dark super fast, if you get a chance to watch the disc you will see. One minute it's a scorching afternoon, the next it's like someone chucked a bottle of fountain pen ink over the London sky! It happens toward the end of Side A.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2020, 08:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:
The weather though is odd. This thing doesn't look time edited, the setlist is seamless. My guess is if it was July it would be getting dark in London around 9:30pm as the longest day is June 21st and is usually light until around 10:30pm. Draw in by an hour over 2 or 3 weeks is fairly quick though?

They had 4 Wembley shows to close the tour from Wednesday to Saturday.

I could imagine the weekday shows where at night and the final Saturday concert was in the afternoon and they mashed up the best versions of each songs for the final edit?

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]