It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy [LV33148-WS] LBX/AC3 (1996)
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 04:21 
True fan
True fan

Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (1996) [LV33148-WS]

The Movie:
I thought instead of throwing out another action movie review or another animation write up I would take a turn into a different genre for once. I chose one of my few comedy Laserdiscs - Kids in the Hall's Brain Candy. I had first viewed this disc long ago when I first acquired the base of my collection - 150 discs - in the middle of 2010. I don't remember thinking too much of it then, and today in 2012 I still don't, which is unfortunate, as I think Kids in the Hall's sketch program is quite entertaining. If you don't have prior experience with the comedic troupe, go check them out on youtube.
This movie however is not.
With an interesting concept lined up - the invention of a drug that ends up eliminating depression in those who need it most - but that's where the watchability of the film drops off. The film attempts to create context for several characters who are introduced wrongfully to this drug, as it doesn't just cure depression, but emulates happiness. It doesn't even attempt to introduce these characters in a coherent manner - a dark and depressing musician that's part of a 90's styled grunge band, a gay father who's in denial, an elderly lady who misses her children, and various other characters in a sketch styled manner which poorly translates to a theatrical film.
The film frames itself around the company who pushes the drug too soon and the team of scientists who develop the drug as they attempt to solve the issues brought upon a society that's become addicted to the drug. Did I mention that every single essential cast member is played by the comedy troupe themselves? Even the awkward female characters? I'm not even sure where to begin with this movie. It's not outright bad, but it's not funny either.
It provides some interesting satire on a few topics, mostly dark 90's grunge and how preposterous it was, and corporate greed and corruption, but it's even light in that department. It's not subtle in that light, and it has the potential to even teeter on offensive at times to certain audiences - specifically a scene that includes a boy with severe cancer.
According to the jacket, Ebert and Siskel gave the film high regards, so this film has an audience out there somewhere, but they haven't totally found it in me. I chuckled lightly a few times, but I never found myself to be enjoying the comedy I saw before me.
Tread lightly with this one, it's definitely not for everyone.

Video:
With a pleasant 1.85:1 letterboxed widescreen transfer, Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy looks rather pleasant on Laserdisc. Paramount, as it does with its Blu Rays today, seems to treat their modern releases with an extra helping of care, and while there are a few instances of specks appearing on screen during the runtime of the film, it generally appears to be pristine. The film is surprisingly colorful, and it is reproduced colorfully with this transfer. Aliasing appears to be nonexistant and signal noise is generally unnoticeable except on rare occasions. For such a bizarre release, they did a fantastic job with the transfer on this one.

Audio:
Provided by Paramount with the usual Dolby Surround stereo track as well as a 5.1 AC-3 digital surround track, Brain Candy hits the mark in all the right places. Dialogue is well placed, surround use seems effective and never excessive in the scenes where it is warranted and bass is equally as driving as the rest of the soundfield. I can't imagine this film sounding any better than it does with this Laserdisc release.

Overall:
A film not even notable enough to warrant a THX seal of approval, with the majority of Paramount films garnished on Laserdisc, you have to know that something's up with this film. With an awkward self contained cast of the comedy troupe providing almost EVERY main role in the film, not many moments of this comedy are, well, funny. I wouldn't pass this one up based on my opinion alone, as it is an intriguing film at times, but I wouldn't drop a large sum on this one. Be weary when this film is on deck.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]