It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: The Taking Of Beverly Hills [ID2165LI] NTSC/LBX (1991)
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2012, 23:42 
True fan
True fan

Taking of Beverly Hills, The (1991) [ID2165LI]

It's time for a good old cheese fest review. The Taking Of Beverly Hills is given a bad rap by many but I take an opposite view. Does it rise to the level of classic? No. Is it underrated? Yes. The film came out in 1991 which was a year that still wasn't done with the 80s. The premise involves a large number of corrupt cops that decide to rob the hell out of Beverly Hills using a chemical spill as a distraction.

The great actor Robert Davi (bad guy from License To Kill) is the leader of this ruthless group and his cleverly evil portrayal is a blast to watch as usual. Ken Wahl of tv's "Wiseguy" fame plays an LA football star (Boomer) that becomes the unlikely thwarter of his plan. I can't tell you if the film projects intended camp or if it is just a product of the times but either way it's an action packed, foot in mouth, embarrassing guilty pleasure that keeps you watching.

Matt Frewer (the guy who played Max Headroom and many years later the Dad with a teen daughter in 2004's Dawn Of The Dead) is a flunky cop and Wahl's sidekick that attempts fast mouthed one liners that scream for a laugh track. Throw in Harley Jane Kozak (wife from Arachnophobia) as the love interest who's clunky sex appeal has as much steam as a dead iron and you have a film that, seemingly played straight, is one trashy piece of solid entertainment. The film is compentently acted and in my estimation cements the watchability.

Trickling in from the 80s is the pure synth soundtrack plus a few specially written for film bombs that ever so badly enhance. Stangely, the plot is actually well thought out and there's top notch action once this thing gets going. Did I mention "action"? :)

The Taking Of Beverly Hills on laserdisc is letterboxed (2:35) which adds to its presentation. THERE IS NO DVD for this film, only VHS, which is non widescreen. The LD picture is sharp except for a few low lit scenes that could probably be managed with adjustments. The audio rocks, and when you go pro logic, your frozen in 1991. This title sometimes demands a few more bucks but if you understand premo presentation retro cheese ,you'll love it, and welcome it into your laserdisc collection.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]