It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 04:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Cadillac Ranch (1996) [ID3720BM]
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 00:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cadillac Ranch (1996) [ID3720BM]

I like Christopher Lloyd because he is in the best film ever made. Back To The Future.

Cadillac Ranch however, is a film on his CV that I had never heard of. Until writing these very words I wasn't even aware that Cadillac Ranch is a real place.

I bought this on a whim with some other discs. I always watch or use the stuff I buy and collect. No use letting it sit on the shelf! So tonight I decided to spin this Laserdisc of what appears to be a relatively unknown film (and not on Blu Ray or better).

The blurb and journo quotes branded Cadillac Ranch a more tender version of Thelma and Louise. It's nothing like feckin' yer wan and yer wan!

Cadillac Ranch is more of a by the numbers road trip slash saccharin friendship film with a middlingly gritty edge. I hope that hasn't put you off because it's actually an alright film. Granted some of the acting is a little wooden in places, and the plot is somewhat rushed and a bit of a flim flam. Yet it remains an enjoyable view. 104 minutes saunters along fairly quickly.

What I did like most was that the film doesn't really centre so much around the most obvious character. Christopher Lloyd is reasonably well utilised too and doesn't really overshadow the whole feature by being the big name here.

The disc isn't one of the better ones I have seen. It's presented in 2:35:1 which is nice but the image is a little soft and over saturated. It did look a lot better with some tweaking on my DVDO VP50 Pro though.

Alas the flip side suffered from a lot of dropout speckles but was still watchable enough. I'd invested in 2/3's of the film already and was more than able to see it through to the end credits.

Audio wasn't great, which is a shame as it was released in cinemas with THX slapped on board. What I got was a badly balanced disc with some scenes sounding muffled and gunfire or car door slams, for example, booming out of the centre. It's just all a bit off kilter and a bit of a let down.

I'd certainly watch Cadillac Ranch again. Maybe on a Sunday afternoon or something. But I'd watch it on DVD or better (whenever an HD release appears) and hopefully that would have better audio.

Pick this one up if you find it super cheap, but don't go knocking your pipe out over it. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]