It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3Dソフト [U-ROMAM] (19??)
PostPosted: 30 May 2021, 10:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

3D Soft [U-ROMAM] [SAV970701]

This is a 3D feature that mixes computer graphics and live action. The disc has the same material recorded on both sides. The disc is plain with no labels. Just a plain white centre sticker on each side. On one side of the disc is two pieces of thermal printed tape (like from a Dymo or Brother labelling device) each with red text on it. One sticker says 'RCH' on it. The other sticker says 'この面を上にしてください' (Please turn this side up).

The outer sleeve is plainw hite and has a white sticker with writing on it describing the frame numbers for various events. The events range from an introduction narration (before and after), U-ROMAM, Sea Creatures and Rafting. There is a piece of plain paper inside the sleeve with text on it describing the feature. Using a translation engine it states something along the lines of U-ROMAM being a machine flying through space as an 'Earth defender'.

The feature itself appears to be in over/under 3D. I was able to view it perfectly with a Sony HMZ-T3W headset. No glasses are supplied with the disc. The CG animation is very much of it's time but still very effective. There is no mention as to what this feature was designed for. My assumption is educational purposes or perhaps children's television. Narration is entirely in Japanese. On-screen text is in English. It is quite an interesting production. You get some great pop-out's flying through asteroid belts, ships exploding and warp speeding through space. The live-action interactions are well done too considering the technology available when this was made (my guess is the early 1990's). The opening section of the video is like watching a shoot 'em up arcade game being played out like a film.

I've tried hard to find some more information on this disc but there's nothing out there (that I can find). Was it recorded on both sides to be played on loop in an exhibition of some sort? A pilot for a children's series or an educational broadcast? I'm unsure. The disc is sparse on detail. The only thing I can come up with is U-ROMAM is MAMOR-U backwards. Perhaps the creators first name? I've simply no idea. If anyone can help please throw in some more information!

This is a fun little 3D disc. If you can track a copy down it's well worth adding to your collection (if you are an oddball and like 3D stuff and weird, niche things too!).

Here's some photos of the disc and the video (these are not mine, they are from the original seller of the disc):

Post subject: Re: 3Dソフト [U-ROMAM] (19??) [15156?]
PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 06:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added, thanks!

I used the master ref from the mint marks: 3D Soft [U-ROMAM] [SAV970701]

Julien

PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 06:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cool, thanks Julien. :thumbup:

Are you able to translate any of the text on the printout? I am still trying to find more information. I am still thinking this was played on loop somewhere. Perhaps an exhibit in Japan maybe?

PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 07:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:
Are you able to translate any of the text on the printout? I am still trying to find more information.

I already translated the chapters/frames count.

The other paper is only a description of the storyline for U-ROMAM (UFOs reached Earth and a defender is activated or something like that).

Julien

PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 07:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh cool yes I see that on the entry page. Thanks!

Sounds like the description page I ran through DeepL says about the same as what you just said.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]