It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Steady Rapper: Fantastic Video Festival (1995) [KSL5 4013]
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2021, 11:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Steady Rapper: Fantastic Video Festival (1995) [KSL5 4013]

There was no method behind getting this particular disc. The cover art looked intriguing so I took a punt. I knew absolutely nothing about it. I couldn't even read the sticker on the front that denotes who the artist is when I spotted it on YAJ. So when the disc arrived and I could finally take a closer look, I found out that the disc features the work of 1990's hip hop trio Schar Dara Parr (スチャダラパー). No, I was none the wiser either.

A bit more research shows that Schar Dara Parr (スチャダラパー) were (and still are as they still put material out, most recently in May 2021 and perform occasional gigs) a hip hop group that debuted in Japan circa 1988. The group is comprised of Bose and Ani (both MC's) and Shinco (the DJ).

It's interesting to note that on their Wikipedia entry it mentions their music is likened to that of the Beastie Boys. That's an odd one, and especially timely for me as I'm currently listening to The Beastie Boys Story audiobook. I don't think there is any real similarity to the Beastie Boys sound and style at all. If anything, after watching/listening to this Laserdisc I think they are more likened to groups such as De La Soul (who they later worked with on their album Buhloone Mindstate), Funkdoobiest, The Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, Naughty By Nature, Pete Rock (who I later discovered remixed one of their tracks) and so on. For anyone unfamiliar with the aforementioned, think of some of the early 1990's hip hop sounds. The heavy basslines, head nodding breaks, the odd funk/soul/disco sample sprinkled in. For anyone wanting to hear more the band have their discography up on Spotify including their remix album which features cuts from Pete Rock, Prince Paul, Buck Wild, Gas Boys, DJ Premier and more.

Anyway, what about this fancy SDP (the band, not the 1980's political party) Laserdisc!?

Japan Video Festival is a video compilation that collates the biggest hits from their then current discography spanning 1988 to 1995. The bulk of the content is comprised of official music videos but wedged in between the 100 chapters (!!) that span this disc are a variety of interview clips, animations, sketches and a bonus karaoke version of their biggest hit at the time "Kon'ya wa Boogie-Back" (今夜はブギー・バック). The creativity and energy that is poured in to each video is something to behold. It's not your usual early nineties fare of standing outside the local shop wearing baggy clothes that everyone thought were trendy but in actual fact it was just your mum being frugal by thinking to herself "ahh sure he'll grow in to them, they'll do for him to play in", sipping 40's and trying to look tough.

David Owen, SDP (Circa 1987)

Each video is zany, colourful, full of wild and weird angles and packed with heaps of energy and fun. It doesn't matter if you haven't a clue what they are rapping about (according to a New York Times article they haven't a clue either). One of my favourite videos on the disc starts with the boys on a rollercoaster in a downtown Tokyo theme park and follows them around going on various rides and followed by an ever-growing zany entourage. The variety of each video makes for compelling and entertaining viewing.

Between each video are a mixture of animations and collages. Cast your mind back to the days when MTV was actually good and the early liquid television animations. I loved these so much I still have a notebook somewhere from my school days which is literally filled front to back with different MTV Logo designs I'd made. There's some superb animation styles on display here, all very reminiscent of work by the likes of Terry Gilliam, Rapido/Eurotrash, Robert Crumb (though not quite as 'adult'!), Mike Judge and many more. Then there's a superb, though very fast, acknowledgements reel later in the disc with a marker drawing on the screen. Think of early 1980's Sesame Street animations, perhaps the famous Pointer Sisters 'pinball' animation to a much lesser extent, for an idea of the style and presentation both for this sequence and others throughout the disc. One of the final animation sequences is also the best I think. An entirely CGI sequence for the end credits that is a pop up book with some fantastic art and animation for each page. As the pages turn each is a unique dedicated credit for each video and animation sequence. It really is very well done and I imagine may have cost quite a chunk of change as well as time to put together.

I love the little details with this disc too. The simple reverse sleeve with a note pinned to it detailing each of the 100 chapters is so simple but looks great along with the cover artwork. The inner sleeve is white and glossy with a hole cut out of the middle so it looks like a vinyl inner sleeve. Printed on each side are some custom warning messages and a small catalogue of other titles put out on the same label. It's the small things but I do love the effort they've gone to with this disc. It shows as well if you look at their vinyl releases. Have a look at this stunning picture disc (yours currently on discogs and YAJ for an equally stunning price too alas) from their album Wild Fancy Alliance:

Regarding the Laserdisc itself, there is a lot to like about it. Picture quality is superb (some of the videos are on Youtube from a VHS source and look absolutely dreadful so please do not use those as benchmarks). Lots of good detail and nicely balanced colours that probably cross the entire current known colour palette! Some scenes are a little soft, I think this is more likely due to the format they were recorded on to, most likely direct to video. This is predominantly a music disc though and it's the audio that I feel matters most here. Worry not, for the audio is excellent. Given how crowded and chaotic SDP's songs can be, with the heady mix of rhymes, beats, samples, sub and all the rest of it, it is a relief to find the audio on this disc is very well balanced and with a decent clarity. Vocals have a nice degree of separation from the music. By that I mean the audio doesn't suffer from what I now coin as 'Van Halen LD Syndrome' (see my review on that disc) where all the elements of the audio track are so tightly packed together that they are fighting each other for supremacy and just end up sounding like a muffled mess. The opening track has a particularly strong sub track so prepare yourself if the subwoofer in your setup is overly keen!

Steady Rapper: Fantastic Video Festival is precisely that. A fantastic compilation of wild and wacky videos set to some great music with interesting content wedged between them to flesh it out. If you are even remotely curious, check it out!

Bonus Feature! The song "Game Boyz" (ゲームボーイズ) was featured in a Nintendo advert for The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past when it launched in Japan!

Post subject: Re: Steady Rapper: Fantastic Video Festival (1995) [KSL5 401
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 07:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Loving your reviews Ted :clap: :clap:
Keep em up
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Post subject: Re: Steady Rapper: Fantastic Video Festival (1995) [KSL5 401
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 10:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks very much. I just hope to throw some insights out there about discs that may otherwise be overlooked. I hope other folks post some thoughts on discs in their collections though rather than just me! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]