It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:54

Page 56 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2021, 12:22 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

The husband offered to remember his childhood and watch Sailor Moon. Of course, at the current time, this animated series is not as interesting as it was as a child. Although some things, loved from childhood, are still interesting. Probably, anime needs to be understood.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 14:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just sat through the two parts of MEGAZONE 23 once more.

though a pervasive sense of deep Banality permeates the rather unlikable characters, (-YMMV-)
the soundtrack, as well as the 80's-futuristic visual style, is nothing short of phenomenal.

if the basis if it all wasn't so damn-blasted Boneheaded to the core, i would surely have one of my very top Anime greats here.

as it stands, it manages to to be -superficially, at least- an Audio/Visual tour-de-force, and that puts it up there pretty far for me in any case...

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 14:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In many ways the ultimate OVA.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 14:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, it's been said that the first part was the second OVA ever made, -and the very first to ever turn a profit- so there's that much at least...

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 09:44 
True fan
True fan

Watched **Laputa, the Castle in the Sky** for the first time ever after Critical Drinker recommended it.
Have it as a part of the Massive Ghibli collection laserdisc box set.
Really enjoyed the movie. Now I want to 3D print that robot.

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 14:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sitting through PATLABOR T.V. for the second time now. it really is one of the very best, warts and all...

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 20:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke wrote:
sitting through PATLABOR T.V. for the second time now. it really is one of the very best, warts and all...

I hope so, I just picked up a bootleg copy of the series on DVD from ebay.
Letdown so far with the second film, I guess I'm not phosisticated enough for this type of stuff anymore.

Picked up an LD of Hoshi Neck Full House, had to fix the reference number, hope it was worth the risk.....

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 23:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Letdown so far with the second film, I guess I'm not phosisticated enough for this type of stuff anymore.

:o

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 23:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
rein-o wrote:

:o

That's how I felt so far, about half way through it.

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 23:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh no. It was built up too much maybe?

Ah that's a real shame. Try the first film and see how you get on and then try Patlabor 2 again anotger day perhaps?

Patlabor 3 is a great film too imho, though look at it away from the first two films entirely.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 01:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Not great by any means but I'm watching the 3rd ova of Hoshi Neko Full House now, pretty odd,
need to focus on it as I'm watching while doing work on my computer.

So I will be finishing this, did find subs for it online thanks to forper, so I'll have to watch it again with subs as it seems dialog heavy with very cheap OVA
animation.
Then will try the labor again to see if its any better, I can stream both films but did get the series on DVD so lets see.
I do give things a chance, but rarely a second chance.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 11:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

To be clear, the OVAs were the start of Patlabor anime. The films are sequels to that.

The TV show is a retelling. It’s a great show but in the end unnecessary. They did it because they could. What needs to be focused on is the OVA and the movies.

I personally feel the third movie is so out of character and so late feeling that it doesn’t deserve to even be played. I’m sure nice people worked on it but it’s not Oshii and it’s barely Patlabor.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 12:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Treat Patlabor 3 as an entirely separate entity imho. I think it fits in with the Patlabor universe, even if it is slightly off-kilter with the themes of the previous films. The art style irritated me too, but when you treat it as a separate work it doesn't have as profound an impact on you, at least in my amateur view. I like Patlabor 3. It's the weakest of the three, but it's a nice piece to while away some time.

Patlabor 2 > Patlabor 1 > Patlabor 3.

Patlabor 2 is, in my personal view, just the greatest of them all. One of the greatest films of any genre ever made. The story is thicker than treacle will plot, politics and endless conversation. But it's just so good. Patlabor 4 could be about someone filling in paperwork for six hours. If it was made in any way like Patlabor 2 it would be absolutely biblical!

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 14:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I hesitate to say P2 is the greatest anime ever because of how much I like Miyazaki, Takahata, and Gundam. Nausicaa will always be my favorite, Zeta Gundam and Char’s Counterattack are also very important. In these things though it’s more about the general theme. The theme of Nausicaa really isn’t in the movie as much as it is in the manga. Fans who watch the movie get to see the character Nausicaa but miss 3/4 of the story. Same with Gundam...you won’t learn about the true nature of Newtypes and ones place in ecology by watching this stuff. It’s more about the context of the whole thing, being a fan for years and years, as the creators refine the work you refine your appreciation of it.

Patlabor 2 also had context when it was released. Not just the OVAs/manga/TV and previous movie but also many references to real world 90s struggles with Japan’s place in the world, etc. However you can see this movie on its own sans the entire rest of Patlabor and it still works. It’s a future sci-fi work made for so long that the future became the present and thus the show became more real and anyone watching it can understand it’s entire meaning in a single viewing (unlikely, but possible). It doesn’t require that you be an anime fan.

I don’t think I need anyone to believe it’s as great as I think it does, but it is better than Ghost in the Shell and I do wish people would understand that. :)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 14:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

got this coming;

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2021, 02:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hajime no Ippo

Basically exactly what I expected. Really well done show. Enjoying it a lot.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 05:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

So back to Patlabor, I just (finally) filled in one of the more glaring omissions in my experience with anime to this point, namely Patlabor the OVA and movies 1 and 2.

It was all great stuff, and P2 was as brilliant as advertised. Chills you to the bone, more so than any anime I've seen in a long while. The scene of an ordinary Tokyo morning commute peppered with a heavy military presence is the best example, I think. The comparisons to Ghost in the Shell invite themselves, of course, and my first impression is that P2's treatment of heavy militarization in "peacetime" rings more eerily accurate than GitS's treatment of artificial consciousness feels plausible. This is definitely one I want to watch again to make sure I've caught all the subtleties, and to keep more of its striking compositions in my memory.

One area though where I'd compare P2 unfavorably to GitS is in how it relates to its previous material. The problem is Noa, who is a (wonderful!) cartoon character in a movie where she had to be written out of being a cartoon character or it would have been tonally dissonant. It felt more like an exercise in obligation and excuse-making than a stage in a character's arc, which is how I think they tried to frame it. If there were some kind of connecting tissue between where she was in Movie 1 and Movie 2, maybe I'd buy it, but as of first watching I don't. It's not an implausible trajectory, but it feels more convenient than natural. GitS's characters meanwhile (to my understanding) weren't as fun or colorful as Noa to begin with, so they mesh better with Oshii's sober P2/GitS tone. Fortunately, P2 is almost entirely told from Goto's and Nagumo's perspectives, so this is a minor complaint about an excellent movie.

Actually, I think my favorite part of what I've seen of Patlabor was part 1 of "The SV2's Longest Day." I'm an absolute sucker for artfully rendered heavy-winter atmospheres in anime, and while P2 has this in spades, having much of this episode focus on
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Asuma annoyedly making his way to Hokkaido to spend his vacation with Noa because he has no friends or family he can comfortably stay with in Tokyo
hit several of my personal atmospheric and character notes dead on.

One last thing, seeing the scenes in Movie 1 that later served as the model for the Ultracity 6060 "Lip Sync" bit killed me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNnL9hSEBU

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 10:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Roots Search and Baoh.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 15:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

interesting, all this talk of PATLABOR lately.

as it happened, i found the MAIDEN JAPAN BRD complete collection for right around $50 shipped.

it came in one of those useless cardstock slip-sleeves, which pissed me off so much,
that i immediately settled right down to converting it into a proper slipcase;

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 18:52 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Megazone 23 premium box.

Street Fighter II Blu-Ray.

I also recently watched Spirited Away and it wasn't as good as the last time i watched it. But every time i watch nausicaa i find something new, and i very much enjoyed Princess Mononoke but still hate the ending.

Adored watching Totoro and Kiki, Cat returns was like a cute OVA i wouldn't really say its a feature film but i liked it. I think i'm going to watch the Wind Rises and Porco Rosso next.

Last non Miyazaki i watched was Weathering with You. I'm always looking for recommendations for anime feature films.

Page 56 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 64  Next