It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Macross Plus is coming!
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 15:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This just in from Anime Limited, hold on to your trousers/skirt...

https://blog.alltheanime.com/macross-plus-blu-ray/

Considering the care they gave the Oedo 808 Blu Ray (e.g. including the far superior UK soundtrack and the great dub, yes noone else seems to like it but we are all of us different) thus should hopefully be a great release.

Arguably the greatest entry in the Macross universe. My favourite certainly. I've not seen Plus since I had the Manga Video VHS releases when they were first released. I still have the Demon soundtrack CD's though but must have a look again for the Sharon Apple album.

Any other Macross Plus fans? Day one for me.

Post subject: Re: Macross Plus is coming!
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 16:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You did say Macross *Plus*, right?

It’s not the greatest Macross. I’m glad you’re excited though. It’s always great when old anime gets a solid Blu-ray release.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 16:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
You did say Macross *Plus*, right?

It’s not the greatest Macross.

:shock:

Ah no, in fairness I did say arguably as I'm sure with so many different entries in the Macross universe folks will have different favourites for sure. For me it was Plus. It was back when Manga Video released their tapes as partworks e.g. New Dominion Tank Police, AD Police, Guyver etc.

The 1990's (and 80's), back when anime was great. :angel:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 16:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

“Arguably” can, especially there days, justify any claim as long as the claimant is making the argument. Anything can be argued to be great or bad endlessly. Nothing really means anything blah blah blah…

But when it comes to Macross there aren’t as many installments as Star Wars or Gundam. It’s a small selection and the winner is the 1984 movie. Macross Plus may be the ultimate approximation of Top Gun as a sci-fi anime OVA but it’s not a great Macross. It’s too cool and perfect, very obviously bent by Western money to be as American friendly as possible. It’s not cute or weird or philosophically interesting, it’s just “bad a**”.

I’ve got lots of good things to say about it, particularly the music and the concert scenes, but it’s not a great example of Macross. The love triangle sucks because Gold is totally 2 dimensional rage machine. If they could have ditched his stupid psycho jet they could have eliminated that whole angle and it would have been better, way more believable. (A jet that can only be flown by the hardest mofos in the universe and it eventually drives even them crazy isn’t going to work).

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2022, 11:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hopefully US distributors carry it.

Just got an email from Rightstuf that their brand Nozomi will be releasing 7, Delta and Frontier!!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2022, 12:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

not quite my favorite MACROSS either, but still well up there.

in any case, i'm certainly yet one more fellow fan that's been waiting WAY TOO DAMNED LONG a time for this;

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2022, 19:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
But when it comes to Macross there aren’t as many installments as Star Wars or Gundam. It’s a small selection and the winner is the 1984 movie. Macross Plus may be the ultimate approximation of Top Gun as a sci-fi anime OVA but it’s not a great Macross. It’s too cool and perfect, very obviously bent by Western money to be as American friendly as possible. It’s not cute or weird or philosophically interesting, it’s just “bad a**”.

I'd definitely put the original Macross over DYRL, especially on the love triangle front. I don't really compare Macross Plus to them though for basically the same reason you're getting at: it's a different thing retrofitted to be a Macross thing. That said, I think it absolutely rocks. And I think there's an interesting (and Macross-ish) angle in how it's about AI/automation disrupting both music and warfare.

As for the influence of Western money, I think it's worth noting that it's a Shinichiro Watanabe show (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope). I don't have any particular knowledge about Macross Plus's production, but at the very least they hired a director who went on to make a great career out of playing with American cultural influences in his work. I think in execution (if not necessarily in planning) the accessibility to American tastes comes from a sincere place.

Anyway, super excited to get this one on blu-ray! Easy day-one. I might finally watch 7, too, which I saw another company is putting out.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2022, 09:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Hopefully US distributors carry it.

Not sure who Anime Limited utilise for North American distribution but it is mentioned on the press release that the region will be getting Macross Plus, so worry not! :thumbup:

It was mentioned earlier about the Cel/CGI fusion in Macross Plus and I think that's one of the things I liked a lot about it. There were other anime out there around the same time that just looked absolutely awful when it came to mixing traditional cel animation and CGI. Look at that revisionist atrocity that was done to the original Ghost In The Shell film! I think the fusion of cel and CGI works really well in Macross Plus. That said, it's been a very long time since I saw it last so my opinion may change if it's not aged well!

I love the soundtrack too, Voices and Idol Talk (which is absolutely FILTHY if you listen to it carefully :lol: ) are two of my favourites. Great music.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2022, 12:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For Macross II fans, it sounds like Animeigo got that. So that's almost everything accounted for. :)

rcarlson wrote:

Anyway, super excited to get this one on blu-ray! Easy day-one. I might finally watch 7, too, which I saw another company is putting out.

Nozomi. Which means it will only be available through Rightstuf. I plan to pre-order all of this stuff unless I'm priced out (not too likely but you never know).

Also I know some of you (not you rcarlson) don't dig new stuff as much (at all?) but Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song is so good. If you liked Macross, Terminator etc I can't recommend it enough.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]