It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:00

Page 64 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 13:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Watched a fair bit since I last posted, MADOX-01...

Speaking Of;

Last edited by tasuke on 28 Sep 2022, 14:05, edited 2 times in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2022, 23:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
Watched a fair bit since I last posted

MADOX-01, lots of Monogatari (most recently finished Tsubasa Tiger arc), Lupin III vs. Detective Conan TV Special, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! (just season one so far, which was great), Yona of the Dawn (woefully incomplete, a shame), Oreimo, Twelve Kingdoms, Haruka Nogizaka's Secret, Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? season 1 + Sword Oratoria, Orphen (original of course) and Yamato 2199.

Haven't finished everything listed yet. I would recommend Yamato 2199 strongly. This is how you do a remake. It's a high cut OVA that surpasses the original series handily. One of the biggest reasons for that imo was the decision to expand the cast.

I watched Kizumonogatari this week. Was pretty awesome. Really like what I have seen of the Monogatari franchise so far, but still have some bits left to watch.
Also watched "Uchiage Hanabi" a nice anime movie with a really nice atmosphere. Would recommend it.
Oreimo... while I have to admit I watched it all, it was so damn annoying... Kuroneko was the one thing that kept me watching I guess. :)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2022, 03:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah Kizu was awesome. Works as a vampire movie but of course more enjoyable with all the context. Recently watched Mayoi Jiangshi arc which I loved and Hanamonogatari: Suruga Devil which I felt was just okay.

Almost done with Yamato 2199.

Yeah Oreimo is...something that's for sure lol.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2023, 01:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Can't believe it took me this long, but I finally watched Gunbuster. I'm of two minds: Part of me wishes that this were a full-length series so that all the turns and character moments could be properly built up to, while the other part thinks that if anything about Gunbuster were more normal the universe would be losing something unique. I had already heard about how whiplash-inducing the final episode in particular is both in content and presentation, but it still hit hard. The last scene is going to stick with me for a long while.

The new Discotek blu-ray, which is how I watched it, is great as usual. I also just ordered the laserdiscs for the collection.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2023, 14:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m glad you liked it. Aim For the Top! is one of best ever anime. I do wonder if you semi missed the point of it though if you want a long series at all. It’s all the stuff that’s missing around the edges that makes it awesome. It’s Getta Robo plus Cosmos, the extremes. Fleshing it out would reduce every aspect of it, not the least of which the budget, which would be a terrible thing.

Besides, six episodes is pretty long for an 80s OVA, be grateful!

Did you get the individual LDs or the box?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2023, 18:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m glad you liked it. Aim For the Top! is one of best ever anime. I do wonder if you semi missed the point of it though if you want a long series at all. It’s all the stuff that’s missing around the edges that makes it awesome. It’s Getta Robo plus Cosmos, the extremes. Fleshing it out would reduce every aspect of it, not the least of which the budget, which would be a terrible thing.

Besides, six episodes is pretty long for an 80s OVA, be grateful!

To be clear, when I say proper buildup I don't mean all the stuff that goes unexplained or hinted at; that's great as is and it's neat how much it trusts the audience to keep up. What I mean are rushed character dynamics, like going from zero to love interest to gone before the audience can blink, that I think left some emotional impact on the table, so to speak. And obviously if it were twice as long, I'd want it to have eight times the budget. :P

Really though I could have just said "This is great" and left it at that. I have a bad habit of hedging every opinion.

Quote:
Did you get the individual LDs or the box?

...Yes. :lol: I couldn't decide which I wanted, and I'm curious to see if there are any differences in say how the science lessons are arranged between episodes, since I know the last two which are included in the box set were made after the fact.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2023, 02:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think every time it comes to a new format they make new science lessons. The PC Engine games use the science lesson animation for their interface and other aspects of the game. They really like the science lesson thing, probably because it’s easy to make a few.

I don’t find the particular dynamic you mention to be rushed at all. You’re meant to know no more than Takaya did until there’s nothing anyone can do or say about it.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2023, 03:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Two dynamics, actually. And I know what they were going for and what the audience is meant to know - this one aspect of the show just didn't work for me the way the rest of it did, regardless of whether it was exactly what they meant it to be or not. Didn't stop me from loving the whole.

In any event, the important thing is this was clearly made with hard work and guts!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2023, 12:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It was indeed made with hard work and guts, actual Japanese kids flunking out of school because they stayed up all night painting cells for Cream Lemon hoping they could someday work on a show like Macross because anime is the greatest art form and a business degree is dumb. The full potential of anime was still something unknown at the time and those guys were really trying their hardest to make the greatest stuff ever, all day every day. There is true enthusiasm in every bit of Aim for the Top! Don’t let the plagiarism turn you off. The fact that they stole all that stuff is proof of their passion for it!

Of course now we know that they wasted their time because we have since developed the true purpose of Japanese animation; selling merch to escapist foreign fans with no concept of quality while outsourcing everything to Korea. :D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 16:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Great to hear that Gunbuster picked up another fan. Truly a great anime. I do agree with Zeta that being an OVA helped it. I think in general OVAs are my favorite form of anime. High budget, typically concise story telling. Not that I hate long series but OVAs are just really nice.

Ultimately the goal of all media becomes making money. Certainly anime will never be like it was in the 80s again. Having consumed a lot of anime I've noticed a couple major shifts in the industry with the last one really being in 2013-14 or so. I barely watch anything from that point on. I don't count franchises that started before that point (ie something that started in 2010 but had things come out after 2014 related to it, tends to still have older sensibilities). There are a few exceptions. A big problem is simply how much anime is being produced now, it's too much. The anime with something interesting to say still is drowning in a sea of crap. Try Kimi no Suizou o Tabetai if you haven't though. That one reminded me that anime can still be awesome.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 16:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Is there really more anime being made now? I barely watch anything new that isn’t some legacy robot show. There were a LOT of shows in the 80s and 90s.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 18:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, someone ran numbers awhile back and it's pretty wild. I would think 90s numbers would be pretty similar the the 2000 number.

Winter 2000: 11 new TV anime
Winter 2010: 26 new TV anime
Winter 2022: 47 new TV anime

Spring 2000: 22 new TV anime
Spring 2010: 42 new TV anime
Spring 2022: 57 new TV anime

Summer 2000: 7 new TV anime
Summer 2010: 29 new TV anime
Summer 2022: 51 new TV anime

Fall 2000: 20 new TV anime
Fall 2010: 36 new TV anime
Fall 2022: 52 new TV anime

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 21:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That does seem like a lot but I’d like to see earlier numbers. TV anime was in decline in the 90s from what it felt like at the time.

52 new TV anime? Actually new? Not just new seasons old shows with new names? That is a lot.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 23:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I would think that includes new seasons of running shows. I'd be curious to see the 80s numbers as well, but that might be a lot harder to find information for.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2023, 11:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just out of the movie show (couldn't get tickets for the session with the staff/voice actors/Tsukasa Hojo):

https://cityhunter-movie.com/

No spoilers but the animation was good (mix of 3D and hand-drawn it seems) with some unexpected cameos and good entertainment.
Not a masterpiece, but nice to see Ryo Saeba back to his usual trade! Maybe a little too much mokkori'ng in the first half!

TMNetwork/Tetsuya Komuro at the soundtrack was a sweet return to past glories :-)

They also had a limited merchandising booth in the entrance of TOHO Shinjuku movie theater (got a 100T keyholder, CH XXL mouse pad and a CAT'S EYE Cafe mug).

Ticket owners for the first shows were given a little souvenir:

Attachment:
RBVK2109.JPG
RBVK2109.JPG [ 194.34 KiB | Viewed 3108 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2024, 07:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just Started another run through the old 4-disc AnimEigo Bubblegum Crisis LD set...
this time round with the PIONEER VSX-47TX receiver/CABLECRAFT MOGAMI speaker cable/POLK AUDIO R10 mini-monitor Audio Chain that i now possess,
and has raised the sound quality standards to an entirely new level for me altogether...

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2024, 06:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just Finished Bubblegum Crisis on LD, after being forced to take a break on it for other life considerations.

Still and All; a Genuine Personal Treat to experience, in something closer than not to the ultimate Audio fidelity possible,
especially considering the positively dismal standards i had seen the entire series, for the first time, under; as a mid-teen back in the mid-to-late-1990's...

Page 64 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64