It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Urotsukidoji Perfect Collection
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 11:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I had this set a few years ago. Regret selling on now, though I did buy the Kitty Blu Ray a couple of years ago, after moving the Laserdisc on.

My memory is hazy with regards Urotsukidoji so I thought to ask here. Is the Perfect Collection print the same as the one used for the Blu Ray, or do they differ in any way? It's worth noting that to achieve 'full uncut' status, the Blu Ray does use standard definition inserts. I think this approach was used by Kitty because those elements are now lost or in poor condition or something along those lines? Can anyone confirm the differences between the Laserdisc and Blu Ray, aside from the Legend Of The Demon Womb is included in the Laserdisc set too.

One point to note around the Blu Ray is the 'bonus features', e.g. a trailer for some other title on the Kitty label. All I'll say is bloody hell it's a bit urgent! I've never seen so many animated knobs and fanny's getting battered in trouser custard like a plasterers radio! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I'm all for Urotsukidoji because it's a classic but f**k me, whatever that shite is that Kitty are selling, people need to get out a bit more. Blimey...!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Urotsukidoji Perfect Collection
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 12:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

funny I've been tempted to let this go multiple times and I have yet to fully see. It remains in the collection for the longest time not fully watched. I might watch it by the end of the year but not sure.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 12:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You couldn’t pay me to see more of this show than I already have. Would burn if I had it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 16:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There's a blu-ray?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 16:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
There's a blu-ray?

Indeed. It's published by Kitty Media (I've not visited their Web Site, but judging by the promo trailer for their other stuff that's on the disc I would strongly assume it is NSFW!).

Jeff has it on his popular North American e-commerce Web Site. It's not cheap though (maybe it's OOP hence the price increase?).

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 18:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was never into this type of stuff, maybe because I was too young when it came out and didn't have interest and now that I'm older
it doesn't do anything for me.

I do remember buying an LD years ago at a convention and someone was in the bin buying these original Japanese releases and was bragging after walking away
from the dealer that he was going to sell them for something stupid, and this would have been at least 25 years ago.

I vaguely think the disc I did buy was the Guyver out of standardized which for some reason I don't believe is on DVD yet, odd as all the other stuff had been released.

I did pickup the one samurai cover disc I posted and it did have some supernatural erotic stuff that I'm just not into but I had been looking for it for so long that
I'm keeping it, not as bad as demon city?? Or something like that where the demon woman and human man are going to save the world.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 19:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:
(I've not visited their Web Site, but judging by the promo trailer for their other stuff that's on the disc I would strongly assume it is NSFW!).

:lol:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 07:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It says "movie edition" on the cover so it's probably not the full version.

The different cuts of the OVA are kind of sketchy anyhow. The movie edition of the original is shorter than the OVAs, but the movie edition of 2 has an entire additional scene versus the OVA version.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 17:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
It says "movie edition" on the cover so it's probably not the full version

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that Kitty Media went a long way to say that the Blu Ray is indeed the full fat, full beans edition of the film. Hence they had to use standard definition inserts to 'fill in the blanks' where the original film elements had been shredded to pieces so much over the years that they were now either lost, not in a salvageable condition or destroyed. I'd need to find the exact line put out by them around this but I recall it was one of the major selling points that attracted me to pick it up in the first place.

With that said, I would love to get the Laserdisc set again. I wish I never sold it. I know Urotsukidoji isn't to all tastes, and for me it's not about trying to pull the stomach off of myself to a cartoon (what a niche! :lol: ). For me, Urotsukidoji is a classic. One of the real true stalwarts of anime, when viewed from the perspective of Japanese animation and it's assault on the West in the early 1990's. It was the one that stood out from the crowd in the video store. You had Akira, Venus Wars, Bubblegum Crisis, Project A Ko, Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo 808 and Wicked City (which rein-o alluded to earlier) which all made names for themselves out West. But Urotsukidoji was something entirely different. It's a bizarre and wild ride that nobody was really prepared for.

It doesn't make much sense, the animation isn't exactly groundbreaking and the dubbing is mediocre at best. But the film is just all out nuts! (Excuse the pun). It's a shame it was treated with such disdain and cut and shredded and mauled to death in a billion different ways that we have to resort to the likes of an ancient Laserdisc and a Blu Ray made of a trillion different components in order to see the film how the director intended (side note: some Urotsukidoji staff also worked on Future War 198X). I hate it when that happens to films and anything else for that matter, which is why I like to try and investigate the history of this stuff as much as I can in order to learn more but also try and find definitive versions of everything I can.

Oh and if you thought the anime was crazy, the manga is well and truly bezerk! :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]