It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Are cuts scenes on vhs/dvd ever included on laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 16:37 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I recently found a new source for an old anime ova/movie and discovered the Japanese source I found has a scene that missing from the English vhs tapes as well as the dvd releases. I'm wondering what the likelihood of the scene being on the laserdisc is? Does that happen? Is there anyway to confirm it since to get started in laserdiscs I have a feeling it'll cost me lots of money I don't have right now. :?

I know sometimes laserdiscs have different transfers or audio mixes, but this is all new territory to me as I hunt for this old anime so I'm not sure about different cuts…

I left a lot of info out to keep it short, but can give more if needed.

Thank you for any information as I'm continuing to learn.

Post subject: Re: Are cuts scenes on vhs/dvd ever included on laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 17:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Just tell us what anime it is. If it’s not p0rn we’ll probably know. If it is p0rn, don’t waste money on LD trying to get it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 22:24 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
Just tell us what anime it is. If it’s not p0rn we’ll probably know. If it is p0rn, don’t waste money on LD trying to get it.

:lol: It's not p0rn. Sorry, I was trying to keep it brief coz elsewhere online people complained I wrote too much info.

It's The Heroic Legend of Arislan Part 2. I was looking at this and wondering...
Heroic Legend of Arislan: Part 2 (1992) [ID2872CT]

Here's a clip of the scene I found, but it's not on the English vhs tapes of most recent dvd set. I bought the CPM tape and the dvd set. Somebody else who had the Manga Entertainment PAL tape checked theirs. Not there. It's somewhere around the 11 minute mark. If it doesn't exist I'll give up, but I want to exhaust my options first.

*Even more info in the video description.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 00:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks for posting the video so others can try to help.
Unfortunately I don't own this anime so I can't check anything to help.

But to answer your question above, its possible that the scene you are looking for could be on a Japanese LD but not US VHS or US DVD release, but then again it may be the same and who knows what version you found that has this could be from.

Its possible that newer releases could be an extended or directors cut, or that the first LD is the extended or directors cut.
But the cheapest way to find out is wait for someone to check their copy on LD.

I don't think this disc is too expensive to get, but if you don't have a player then its going to be a lot of money just to enjoy an anime
that had 1 min cut.

For someone like myself its not a big deal, I've got players so I can buy a 20 or 50 dollar disc and enjoy it, I don't know if I could do it new and now.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 11:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Dang, it’s an anime I know almost nothing about and haven’t even seen in 30 years. :)

It was a big budget OVA back in the day that seems to have been reissued on LD, and perhaps the reissues have the extra scenes. I can’t seem to find all of Arslan in the LDDB, maybe admin can help. The clip you have is HD so it’s possible it was footage recently made available. Look at Blu-ray release.

The reason I asked about p0rn is because that’s probably %90 of all “missing” anime footage. One doesn’t usually spend money painstakingly drawing and coloring things just to not use them so typically is a censorship issue and things have to be pretty extreme in anime to be censored.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 16:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
But to answer your question above, its possible that the scene you are looking for could be on a Japanese LD but not US VHS or US DVD release, but then again it may be the same and who knows what version you found that has this could be from.

Its possible that newer releases could be an extended or directors cut, or that the first LD is the extended or directors cut.
But the cheapest way to find out is wait for someone to check their copy on LD.

The scene actually came from a HDTV recording aired in Japan in 2017. So maybe it was even cut from home video releases in Japan way back when it was originally on vhs and laserdisc and Manga Entertainment didn't have the full film to work with… That is something I need to consider. I looked into laserdisc players and digitizing them and that's far outside my wheelhouse and wallet. :o

signofzeta wrote:
I can’t seem to find all of Arslan in the LDDB, maybe admin can help.

I actually got tripped up on this too when I first started obsessing over this silly 1 min of video. When Arslan was initially released in English by Manga Entertainment and then by CPM in the 90s they spelled it more phonetically as "Arislan". The recent adaptations in English use the spelling "Arslan". A lot of the spellings for names, locations, titles, etc. all vary back then. Ah, the old days. :P

Well, maybe somebody who owns the disc will see this and help me by telling me if it exists or not. Until then I suppose it's only 1 minute or so and I'll live just fine. It'll sit in that corner of my brain along with other old shows. ;)

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2022, 19:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can’t think of any logical reason an OVA would be missing footage for the Japanese market. Pixelated, yes, but not missing. That would require extremely specific circumstances to make any sense at all. That single minute of animation took three guys a week to do. They aren’t going to throw it in the garbage right afterwards.

I can’t help but wonder if there were two distinct edits of this show, like a movie version and a four part version, and maybe this was cut or added for one of them and was lost for future releases.

Kind of like…Macross Plus The Movie and the OVA versions, or maybe more like the omake science lessons in Aim for the Top!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2022, 17:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

The mystery deepens… XP I wish I could read Japanese or write it to see if somebody got something documented somewhere, but alas I cannot. It'd be fascinating to see if there's a reason and what it was and whether or not it was cut from Japanese releases or just western or what, but if my mystery fizzles out here then so be it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm aware of a few movies that were edited to parts or OVAs that were edited into movies, but not many as I've never dug too deeply before recently. I don't think that was the case with the first two Arslan movies, but I know I could always be wrong. From what I could gather the first two installments were actual films released in theaters in Japan and from what I can understand they only made the first two installments as films before shake up in studios/funding (I'm a little unclear about the specifics for now) caused them to make the following installments as shorter, lower budget, direct-to-home video OVAs. So even though all the VHS and DVD releases in the west have all parts billed as "OVA" it's really just the last 4 OVAs (parts 3-6) that are direct to home video OVAs.

At least, I think I'm understanding that correctly. If I misunderstood something regarding the whole home video OVA thing since I'm new to all of it please correct me. I'm well aware I'm still learning so I appreciate any guidance. :)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2022, 19:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A lot of OVAs had some kind of roadshow release to promote the OVA. Robot Carnival, Project A-ko from the classic period, Gundam Unicorn in the modern era. It’s not usually done but it’s not unheard of.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 16:12 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
A lot of OVAs had some kind of roadshow release to promote the OVA. Robot Carnival, Project A-ko from the classic period, Gundam Unicorn in the modern era. It’s not usually done but it’s not unheard of.

I thought roadshows were only for movies or big productions and the like, but they do that for OVAs… I'm no a big Gundam fan (watched a handful) so I didn't know Gundam Unicorn was technically an OVA. Interesting... I've so much more to learn! Thank you for informing me. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]