It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:03

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anime newbie robotech help needed
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 01:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Hi,
I am in the beginning stages of anime. I started buying anime with introduction of bluray-hd-dvd in late 2006. I watched cgi anime films like ex-machina, vexille later years, akira,ghost in the shell. I liked them alot. I bought a good number of anime bluray since then. Then I made some read up about good anime titles and noticed most of them are no on high def yet. I also bought ghost in the shell clv ld it looks very good. The bd is the 2.0 version with most scenes replaced with cgi. The included original cut is poor in quality.
Now i made an intetest on robotech. I noticed there are 3 seperate show and movies. I have the latest film on bd I liked it a lot. Should i collect lds? Or i should get the new dvd boxset?
Below are the anime I own and love. Bsed on the list can you make recommendations
Freedom
Samurai 7
Cowboy bebop
Ghost in the shell all movies and episodes
Heroic age
Evangelion
Eden of east

Post subject: Re: Anime newbie robotech help needed
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 01:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I guess. I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking. If you're looking for robotech discs, philburque46 is getting some, you might want to try talking to him, and there's usually some robotech discs on eBay. I think it might be cheaper to get the DVDs though, but I have heard that new DVD editions replace the "original" mono with a 5.1 track.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 01:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is more anime on LD than you'll ever watch in your life. On Blueray there is...shockingly little. A large part of this problem is that the anime industry in general kind of crapped out about a decade ago.

Compression artifacts aside, there isn't much point in HD versions of anime since the vast majority of it is very cheaply made. Things like Ghibli movies, Otomo, Oshii, and the epics from the late 70s/Early 80s (ie: Galaxy Express, Macross DYRL, Arion) actually have some place to go, but most stuff like Dragon Ball, Tenchi Muyo, and the three shows Robotech was based on...it's shot on 3s, painted on A4 sized cells and filmed on 16mm. Is LD not good enough? I think it is.

Disney has put out some fantastic Ghibli BRs. I have Whisper of the Heart, Nausicaa, and Ponyo. I'd reccomend all of them, especially Nausicaa. I also have all of the Gundam Unicorn BRs, which are full HD productions from the ground up, but I'm not sure how much sense they make to people who aren't overly familiar with Gundam.

In a few weeks the BR for Macross: Do You Remember Love is coming out. I plan on doing a write-up here comparing it to the Perfect Edition LD and Flashback 2012 (since its included in the LE version I preordered).

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 02:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
There is more anime on LD than you'll ever watch in your life. On Blueray there is...shockingly little. A large part of this problem is that the anime industry in general kind of crapped out about a decade ago.

Compression artifacts aside, there isn't much point in HD versions of anime since the vast majority of it is very cheaply made. Things like Ghibli movies, Otomo, Oshii, and the epics from the late 70s/Early 80s (ie: Galaxy Express, Macross DYRL, Arion) actually have some place to go, but most stuff like Dragon Ball, Tenchi Muyo, and the three shows Robotech was based on...it's shot on 3s, painted on A4 sized cells and filmed on 16mm. Is LD not good enough? I think it is. ...

I'd still say the BD remasters look better, I have the Dragon Ball Blu-rays and they blow my LDs out of the water.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 02:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There are a number of productions in the 1985-95 period which could do well in high definition ; while TV series were mostly shot on 16 mm, & the art was done with TV resolution in mind, OVAs from Record of Lodoss War to El-Hazard were photographed on 35 mm & the quality of the animation reflects that. After 1995, computer animation becomes the norm, with rendering at 480-line resolution, until quite recently when HD rendering becomes more common.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 03:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
In a few weeks the BR for Macross: Do You Remember Love is coming out. I plan on doing a write-up here comparing it to the Perfect Edition LD and Flashback 2012 (since its included in the LE version I preordered).

is that the one that i saw ads for with a game for PS3??
looks like a killer set, but i just don't want to pay more for the film again.

as for the anime it all depends on what you want, what time era etc.
since i picked up most of what i wanted over the years, and love the cover art or extras with box sets i don't want to get any DVD or BD of anything.

it's also cheaper on LD than R2 DVD.
but i'm still looking for cool stuff :D

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 03:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

naiaru wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Compression artifacts aside, there isn't much point in HD versions of anime since the vast majority of it is very cheaply made. Things like Ghibli movies, Otomo, Oshii, and the epics from the late 70s/Early 80s (ie: Galaxy Express, Macross DYRL, Arion) actually have some place to go, but most stuff like Dragon Ball, Tenchi Muyo, and the three shows Robotech was based on...it's shot on 3s, painted on A4 sized cells and filmed on 16mm. Is LD not good enough? I think it is. ...

I'd still say the BD remasters look better, I have the Dragon Ball Blu-rays and they blow my LDs out of the water.

I don't know. Dragon Ball is about the cheapest stuff in the world. The only detail is stuff like scratches on the cels, dirt, cel shadows, etc, and that's the stuff they just end up digitally removing for the BRs. It's...cleaner, sure, but you aren't going to see more detail because there isn't any.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 03:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

is that the one that i saw ads for with a game for PS3??
looks like a killer set, but i just don't want to pay more for the film again.

as for the anime it all depends on what you want, what time era etc.
since i picked up most of what i wanted over the years, and love the cover art or extras with box sets i don't want to get any DVD or BD of anything.

it's also cheaper on LD than R2 DVD.
but i'm still looking for cool stuff :D

It's an obscenely special special edition, yet everything is "on topic". Off the top of my head I know you get the main hybrid movie disc, which has the movie and a PS3 game based on the movie (probably a very short game). You get Flashback 2012 and a bunch of supplemental stuff that includes hifi versions of the FMV from various games. You get a PS3 port of the PS1 port of the DYRL Saturn game, a frame or two of a 35mm print of DYRL, a bunch of printed stuff with scans of period magazine covers, and...I forget the rest. That's the main bulk of it.

I've played a bunch of Artdink's PSP games and I'm sure their DYRL game will be fun. Like I said though, it will probably be short, maybe two or three missions, but it should be a lot of fun.

I already have DYRL, 2012, the Saturn game, etc but as a geezer anime fan...what else am I going to spend money on? They hardly make any new shows I like anymore!

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 03:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

naiaru wrote:
I guess. I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking. If you're looking for robotech discs, philburque46 is getting some, you might want to try talking to him, and there's usually some robotech discs on eBay. I think it might be cheaper to get the DVDs though, but I have heard that new DVD editions replace the "original" mono with a 5.1 track.

I just bought discs 6 through 9, and Mike Duff has 1 through 5 for sale on his site http://www.duffsflix.com/

If you are interested in buying my discs, just PM me, and we can work something out.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 04:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
naiaru wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I don't know. Dragon Ball is about the cheapest stuff in the world. The only detail is stuff like scratches on the cels, dirt, cel shadows, etc, and that's the stuff they just end up digitally removing for the BRs. It's...cleaner, sure, but you aren't going to see more detail because there isn't any.

Well, that's a little too out there for me, the BDs clearly look better clearer and more detailed, but to each his own, I guess...

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 04:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
Below are the anime I own and love. Bsed on the list can you make recommendations
Freedom
Samurai 7
Cowboy bebop
Ghost in the shell all movies and episodes
Heroic age
Evangelion
Eden of east

Based on your list, I'd recommend the following:
Wings of Honneamise
Green Legend Ran
The Hakkenden (7 Volumes)
Macross Plus Vol 1-4-Don't get the movie edition, cuts out a lot of good scenes.
Memories
Now and Then, Here and There (Only LD option is Japanese, but the DVD release is pretty good.)

As for Robotech, I've got all 15 volumes. I can't personally compare them to the DVDs, but I'm pretty sure DVDs will have better quality. Also, you can't get the third series (story arc) on laserdisc, only Robotech and Robotech Masters.

There's also plenty of crap-tastic anime on laserdisc, so watch out!

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 04:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Macross Plus: The Movie does cut out a lot, but it also add some scenes.

Off the top of my head...I can't remember which ones, but I distinctly remember this being the case when the stuff came out.

As for recomendations: Robot Carnival is a big one. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been released in the US since the LD first came out. It's a fantastic anthology of then-popular animators that is loved by virtually everyone.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 06:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

thank you for recommendations hoyeboy

I forgot to mention I have the bd of honnemise. I also have all the studio ghibli films released on bd (us editions). I figured I like future sci-fi type films and anime. Freedom is amazing. 1 robotech film I watched was very good too.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 14:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
There are a number of productions in the 1985-95 period which could do well in high definition ; while TV series were mostly shot on 16 mm, & the art was done with TV resolution in mind, OVAs from Record of Lodoss War to El-Hazard were photographed on 35 mm & the quality of the animation reflects that. After 1995, computer animation becomes the norm, with rendering at 480-line resolution, until quite recently when HD rendering becomes more common.

That's disappointing since one of my favorite Anime TV series is The Vision of Escaflowne, and with little CG that is thrown into the series, that probably means it wasn't shot on film. Thus it wouldn't look any different in HD.

I will say that I have the Japanese LDs and the US released DVDs. The LDs look better by far.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 15:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

getting back to Robotech.
if you like the series i read that they did a great job remastering the series on DVD.
but i do know there are a few sets out there.
also the Macross TV series, there are a few box sets on DVD.
one i believe has Japanese with english subtitles and it may also have the English dub when it was released in hawaii.
i know there is a set that has that english dub but don't know whch one it is. its cool since the Japanese actress that did minmei's voice did the english voice also.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 20:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Ok lets see if I got it right.

Robotech is an american anime. they compiled and edited 3 different japanese anime series into one series. then they dubbed it with complete new script and story. There are 3 series. 2 of them are available on LD. The newest DVD boxset has all 3. There are also a number of made for tv/dvd movies. Last one was in mid 2000s and is on BD.
LDs have original english dubs in lossless stereo. Beautiful cover art. Anime usually looks great on LD. about $7-10 a piece. masters are around $15 a piece. there are 15 volumes to collect.
DVDs are complete. Lossy Dolby encoded sound. Cheesy cover art. about $90 or less for complete.

I guess I could do $7-8 a piece. total not exceeding $150 with shipping. Anything more DVD boxset wins.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 20:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:

Robotech is an american anime. they compiled and edited 3 different japanese anime series into one series. then they dubbed it with complete new script and story. There are 3 series. 2 of them are available on LD. The newest DVD boxset has all 3. There are also a number of made for tv/dvd movies. Last one was in mid 2000s and is on BD.
LDs have original english dubs in lossless stereo. Beautiful cover art. Anime usually looks great on LD. about $7-10 a piece. masters are around $15 a piece. there are 15 volumes to collect.
DVDs are complete. Lossy Dolby encoded sound. Cheesy cover art. about $90 or less for complete.

I guess I could do $7-8 a piece. total not exceeding $150 with shipping. Anything more DVD boxset wins.

sounds about right.
USA was robotech and all 3 series went together.
in Japan you had 3 different series that had nothing to do with each other.
Macross, Genesis Climber MOSPEADA and Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.

they make all of them on DVD in Japanese, but i feel that Macross is the only one worth it.
i do have southern cross on US DVD in Japanese with english subs, it's not that great of a series.
but still better than some of the junk they make now.

so if you need more anime you really should get both the japanese and Robotech releases as they are 2 different stories and the Macross one is amazing. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 20:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:

The good thing with Duff is he does free shipping on orders over $35 every few weeks, so if you bought all 5 of his for $7.99 each you'd qualify for free shipping.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 21:10 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

good to know. I will wait for the free shipping. Duff also has sentinel II.
Please pm ma for cost for volumes 6-9 shipped to USA 01420. If I can get the first 5 from duff before they are gone, I would like to complete them at similar prices.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 18:44 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

rein-o wrote:
getting back to Robotech.
i know there is a set that has that english dub but don't know whch one it is. its cool since the Japanese actress that did minmei's voice did the english voice also.

That's the ADV release. I have that one. It's a pretty good version although I never tried out the dub. I usually just go with the Robotech LDs or the ADV DVDs in japanese with subs. Unfortunately disc 7 of that release is really hard to find.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next