It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:29

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearing up for A-Kon
PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 06:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well, it's that time again.
This year's theme is the 25th A-Kon itself, so in honor of that, I ginned up a scheme to show the whole series of Nadia. This is only a reasonable idea at all because of the existence of the Nautilus Story version, which condenses the whole 39 episodes into 5 hours. I have no idea why this was released, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Instead, my plan is to have a panel of Big Name Fans, including Marc Hairston of Dallas, do a running commentary to make up for the lack of subtitles (I've never seen a fansub script for this condensation).
Thursday night at 10, I get to be the first thing on the video schedule, & I've left it open for now. Unless the audience wants to see the whole series of El-Hazard, which would just fit in a 4-hour time slot, my plan is to start with Dominion Tank Police.

Other than that, here is my preliminary schedule :
Friday
2 PM Bubblegum Crisis 7 Double Vision
3 PM Nadia part 1 of 3
5 PM Kimagure Orange Road TV 43 Heartbroken Hikaru! Follow her to the winter beach!
5.30 PM Here is Greenwood 3 Welcome to Devilwood

Saturday
2 PM Patlabor New OVA 4 90% Audience Share
2.30 PM Urusei Yatsura TV 32 Shocking Library—Quiet, Please!
3 PM Moldiver 2 Overzone
3.30 PM Vampire Princess Miyu OVA 2 A Banquet of Marionettes
4 PM Nadia 2/3

Sunday
2 PM Nadia 3/3
4 PM Tenchi Muyo! TV 13 Time Travel & Space Adventures Part 3
4.30 PM Project A-Ko

As you might be able to tell, I have created a sub-theme of "let's put on a show!", with everything from a guy in a bear suit holding hostages on a TV set, to an idol singer being ("accidentally") shot into space, to demonic puppets.

Comments?

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 16:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Looks good! Glad you threw in Devilwood; I still love the Cagliostro bit at the end. I'd be interested in seeing the condensed Nadia, but would probably be disappointed with it like all the other condensations I've seen.

If you're looking for more filler on your theme:

Episode 6 of Goldenboy
Robotech episode 9: Miss Macross

One of these years, I'll make it down to A-Kon. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 17:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Hmmmm . . . how about Macross Plus? Some friends of mine are fawning over Macross Frontier from a couple years back, but it couldn't possibly be as good as Macross Plus.

do yourself a favor and pick yourself up one of these beauties.
shop it around to those friends of yours, and it ought to steer them straight on things rather nicely...

[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 18:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

None of my friends are huge mecha/model fans, so I doubt that would have much affect on them.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 18:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

publius wrote:
This year's theme is the 25th A-Kon itself, so in honor of that, I ginned up a scheme to show the whole series of Nadia. This is only a reasonable idea at all because of the existence of the Nautilus Story version, which condenses the whole 39 episodes into 5 hours. I have no idea why this was released, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Instead, my plan is to have a panel of Big Name Fans, including Marc Hairston of Dallas, do a running commentary to make up for the lack of subtitles (I've never seen a fansub script for this condensation).
Thursday night at 10, I get to be the first thing on the video schedule, & I've left it open for now. Unless the audience wants to see the whole series of El-Hazard, which would just fit in a 4-hour time slot, my plan is to start with Dominion Tank Police.

Other than that, here is my preliminary schedule :
Friday
2 PM Bubblegum Crisis 7 Double Vision
3 PM Nadia part 1 of 3
5 PM Kimagure Orange Road TV 43 Heartbroken Hikaru! Follow her to the winter beach!
5.30 PM Here is Greenwood 3 Welcome to Devilwood

Saturday
2 PM Patlabor New OVA 4 90% Audience Share
2.30 PM Urusei Yatsura TV 32 Shocking Library—Quiet, Please!
3 PM Moldiver 2 Overzone
3.30 PM Vampire Princess Miyu OVA 2 A Banquet of Marionettes
4 PM Nadia 2/3

Sunday
2 PM Nadia 3/3
4 PM Tenchi Muyo! TV 13 Time Travel & Space Adventures Part 3
4.30 PM Project A-Ko

As you might be able to tell, I have created a sub-theme of "let's put on a show!", with everything from a guy in a bear suit holding hostages on a TV set, to an idol singer being ("accidentally") shot into space, to demonic puppets.

Comments?

how is the box and what does it look like for Nadia Nautilus story? I've been thinking of getting this to go along with my Perfect Collection. Devilwood is a nice choice :)

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 19:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

publius wrote:
This year's theme is the 25th A-Kon itself, so in honor of that, I ginned up a scheme to show the whole series of Nadia. This is only a reasonable idea at all because of the existence of the Nautilus Story version, which condenses the whole 39 episodes into 5 hours. I have no idea why this was released, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

...what the? I knew of this version of the TV show, but I thought it was a fan edit from way back.

Now I have to get it.

As for the "why", its pretty simple. The "island episodes" are very very slow and boring. So much is the case that early fan sub teams actually skipped those episodes. Its pretty incredible that Gainax/NHK/whoever evidently thought the same thing.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 20:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

hoyeboye wrote:
Looks good! Glad you threw in Devilwood; I still love the Cagliostro bit at the end. I'd be interested in seeing the condensed Nadia, but would probably be disappointed with it like all the other condensations I've seen.

The running time is more than three times the usual "compress a series into a 90-minute movie", so I'm hoping it works better. And anything which manages to extract the one episode's worth of plot & animation from the "Island" sequence is fine by me.

And the Cagliostro bit really is brilliant.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 22:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nice lineup.
too bad you don't have any galaxy express/harlock or something like Cobra the space pirate.
with that teaser last year or the year before of a possible film here in the USA that would be a great one to pump up
some interest from fans!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 01:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've got one random episode of Space Pirate Mito, but it's not at all the same thing. I've never yet succeeded in getting my hands on a copy of the AnimEigo Arcadia of my Youth, or I could show it Thursday night. Odin is just not an acceptable substitute.

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 18:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
None of my friends are huge mecha/model fans, so I doubt that would have much affect on them.

hmmm, most likely they're MF fans probably on the sole strength of Ranka, Sheryl and/or Klan then.

i'm not any real fan of MF myself, -in fact, i rather despise the Mecha design- but i do in fact like Ranka Lee quite a bit,
at least as something of a 21st century answer to the peerless Lynn Minmay...

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 19:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The friends I'm talking about are female and remember one saying she likes Sheryl, but has issues with another one of those idol singers--complains that she's a "weak female character."

I haven't seen the show, so I dunno.

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 20:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds fun!

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 21:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elahrairrah wrote:
The friends I'm talking about are female and remember one saying she likes Sheryl, but has issues with another one of those idol singers--complains that she's a "weak female character."

I haven't seen the show, so I dunno.

Ranka is the typical moe b******t that has plagued nearly all anime in recent years. I wouldn't say she was exactly weak (see ending) but Sheryl is a lot more bad a** in every way. Basically a human Sharon Apple.

I'm not a huge fan of Frontier or Plus. Plus at least knew what it was and did that well, but the character designs kinda stink and Isamu is the only remotely likable guy in the show. Frontier is a full series, so it covers a lot more ground that the puny Plus, but it's really...modern. The mecha also suck, in design and in the actual animation. Extremely spindly and soulless stuff.

My perspective: I'm 40 so I grew up with Macross. I love the movie to death and, after 10 years, eventually grew to love Macross 7, especially the Dynamite OVAs. Love Hina and Evangelion are the devil.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 21:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks to the great Marc Hairston, I have received the following description of the Nautilus Story condensation, which I share here with you. Where it originally came from none of us is sure.

Quote:
What I was mainly interested in was how Anno (who produced this compilation before finally cutting his ties with NHK) managed to pare down the series. For the most part, the edits are very much welcomed, as they do give Nadia a much-needed faster pace, but there are scenes from the Nautilus episodes that I wish they didn't have to omit but I understand why they would in order for the story to be tighter. One edit I did have a problem with, however, was the handling of Ensign Fait's death scene. In that episode, there was a more rounded introduction to the character to get a glimpse of his likeability which makes the viewer feel all the more devastated as it does Jean and Nadia when he lays down his life (where he fixes Jean's glasses, gives him flowers). This intro is unfortunately gone, and as such the impact of the death scene isn't as strong as it should be. These aren't the only trims I noticed from the Nautilus arc. Others include the following:
  • Episode 9 is shortened, and serves as the "ending" for the first "volume" in the compilation. I like this, as it gives the viewers a sense of mystery about what is to come.
  • Episode 10 is completely gone, as is 3/4 of episode 11 (the only scenes that remain are Jean discovering the engine, askng Electra about it, and finally, his charming talk with Nadia)
  • Episode 12 is chopped down as well. It actually starts out when the crew docks at the island, and then focuses mainly on Grandis trying to impress Nemo in her bikini (they even leave in the scene where Jean accidentally stumbles on Nadia changing, but strangely take out their subsequent walk to get over their embarrassment.) But that's about all that remains.
  • All that remains of episode 13 is Marie and Sanson's chase with the crab robot all the way to the end when Nadia screams "Murderers!" to everyone.
  • Episode 14 is gone. Yes, I said completely gone. A shame, because I really LOVED this episode. But again, I understand why they would do that.
  • Episode 16 also has some cuts; Nadia doesn't go to Jean's cabin to ask him about the Blue Water, for instance.)
  • Episode 17 is also gone. This was another favorite episode of mine (as I loved the gyrocopter scene and the flight at the end; it served as a wonderful bonding point for the two protagonists.)
  • Episode 18 is chopped down to barely a quarter of its running time, leaving only the announcement to go to Antarctica, and the table scene where Sanson does a humorous tirade about the North Pole. They also reach Antarctica much faster; they don't fight a squid. Again, that was a favorite episode of mine, but I understand why they cut it down.
  • Episode 19 focuses mainly on Nemo taking Jean and Nadia to visit the White Whale; but they don't include most of the cavern exploring or the frozen dinosaur scene. Nor do they leave in the "ice cream" finale.
  • Only the opening scene of episode 20 (where Gargoyle meets with his officers) remains of that episode, from which we cut to Electra questioning Nemo on how long he intends to keep the children all the way to the Garfish closing in on the Nautilus. This was one of my least favorite episodes (even though it does have a partial explanation on Electra's past, which is nonetheless cut, as is Nadia's jealousy of Jean's friendship with her).

Since there was nothing particularly horrible about the first 22 episodes of Nadia, it may be somewhat disheartening to see several scenes removed, but then Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 had to make similar choices in paring down a long story to a theatrical feature.

The second volume concludes after episode 22 (arguably the last GREAT episode in the show before the five-episode finale).

While I have somewhat mixed feelings about some of the edits in the first two volumes of The Nautilus Story, the third volume is something else. It is a HUGE, much-needed improvement over the latter third of the series--all that remains of episodes 23-34 is this:

• Open with Jean and Nadia on the beach (from ep. 23), then we hear Grandis' voice, and we see a shot of the Grandis gang from an earlier episode, and we jump DIRECTLY to the campfire scene from ep. 28, sans the flashback to the Nautilus and cuts off just after Ayerton roars, "Did you just call me a dummy?!"
  • We then see a downward pan from the sun to the island on ep. 28, and after that, it moves to two scenes from episode 30--the moment where J&N discover the cave entrance, and then we skip over the entering the tunnel to the scene where they're noticing the submarines upside-down. Right after Jean screams "NADIA!" after the latter vanishes into the wall, we immediately jump to...
  • Episode 31, or rather, a stripped down version of it, featuring ONLY the scenes where Nadia is with that android (shorter though). After Nadia throws down the Blue Water, we jump back to Jean holding Nadia's clothes screaming her name (as mentioned, we don't see the scenes where everyone packs up in the Gratan or Jean dashing across the collapsing island; so it is somewhat odd to see him holding Nadia's real clothes without that scene). After Nadia receives the Blue Water back, we go straight to Nadia embracing Jean nude (the dialogue about the island sinking omitted) and then we fade out after we see Jean and Nadia reach the tunnel exit.

All this in less than fifeen minutes. About eight and a half episodes worth of island "material" have gone to the cutting room floor.

The next thing we see after J&N leave the tunnel is the opening scene from episode 35, and then we go all the way to the end from there, with a few minor omissions. In other words, the entire Africa village subplot from 32-33 is non-existant (the only thing remaining of it being a brief shot of our pals looking down from the Gratan in the beginning of ep. 32 to substitute for the title card of ep. 35 while Hanson is saying something), and the singing episode is gone too. Since all three of these episodes are Nadia's extremely lowest point, it is both gratifying and not totally surprising that this compilation all but omits them.

The Nautilus Story 3 is all the better for these cuts, as it keeps Nadia much tighter as a show and keeps the characters consistent (the constant derailing in the filler eps omitted was one of the reasons I disliked those episodes so much).

Unlike the Rebuild of Evangelion, though, The Nautilus Story isn't very widely known, as it only exists on Japanese LD and VHS; and they weren't theatrically distributed either. Fans more familiar with the show may be somewhat disheartened that some scenes from their favorite episodes from the early part of the show were cut; even so, this is about as close as Hideaki Anno ever came to doing a "remake" of Nadia; in fact, these three compilated volumes would've worked far better than the disaster that was Nadia The Movie had NHK and Gainax not been so on edge with each other. Even so, if The Nautilus Story is about as far as we'll see as a "director's cut" of Anno's first television success, I'm all for it.

Last edited by publius on 30 May 2014, 06:48, edited 1 time in total. _________________
MUSE decoder information and user guides
LD player connexion guide

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 05:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
The friends I'm talking about are female and remember one saying she likes Sheryl, but has issues with another one of those idol singers--complains that she's a "weak female character." I haven't seen the show, so I dunno.

okay, that explains much indeed... sorry for jumping to conclusions; not at all used to the concept of female fans of an entry in the MACROSS pantheon.
i just keep forgetting that Frontier has a lot of cross-gender appeal going for it, only in Japan, i had once thought.

also, it would quite logically gel that western women would generally see Ranka Lee as a "weak female character"
especially in the feminist-centric U.S. of the early 21st century. let's be honest; Ranka was specifically tailored
to appeal to us barbaric, out of date chauvinistic dirty old OTAKU men,
that generally seem to get our jollies off on "weak female characters" so anyone who complains about Ranka in such fashion is most certainly missing the point.

now then, while i'm on a roll here, let's see if i can get myself Perma-Banned, shall we?

signofzeta wrote:
Ranka is the typical moe b******t that has plagued nearly all anime in recent years. I wouldn't say she was exactly weak (see ending) but Sheryl is a lot more bad a** in every way. Basically a human Sharon Apple.

My perspective: I'm 40 so I grew up with Macross. I love the movie to death and, after 10 years, eventually grew to love Macross 7, especially the Dynamite OVAs. Love Hina and Evangelion are the devil.

though i take an often far more forgiving view of Moe character design, i heartily agree that EVANGELION sparked an ugly, ugly trend
in Mecha design that somehow continues to make itself potently felt to this very moment.

also, while i'm quite fond of Moe character design trends from around Y2K~2005ish, i'll fully agree that almost everything tossed out since
is a near-zero-talent, quarter-assed affront to everything that made Anime so great to me in the first place...

and, speaking of anti-talent;

Quote:

- ummm, uhhhh, The Cradle Will Fall?!?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 03:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Settled on a Thursday night schedule.
  • MADOX-01, with the bizarre live-action-tank-clips chaser
  • Dominion Tank Police (1,2)
  • You're Under Arrest (2)
  • Hyperdoll
  • Cosmo Police Justy

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 02:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well, a series of unexpected events led to my being unable to procure a copy of the "Nautilus Story" in time, so instead I had Marc Hairston & Darren Ashmore narrating their 13 favourite episodes of Nadia, plus some commentary from Helen McCarthy at the beginning and end. It was very interesting ; I think it worked out OK, but I certainly learned some things in case I ever try something like this again.
The episodes used were 1, 4, 8, 13, 16, 21, 22, 31, and 35—39.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015, 21:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This year's theme is "the Phoenix", so I decided to pick properties with lots of spinoffs or sequels, & stories with themes of rebirth or cyclic time. I have four four-hour blocks, & I decided not to go crazy, instead programming about 200 minutes for each block, with the expectation of having set-up & tear-down, & other delays, to deal with, & padding out the actual time with filler.

Thursday 197
Gall Force : Eternal Story 87
Gall Force 2 : Destruction 50
Gall Force 3 : Stardust War 60
fillers : Earth Chapter music video album, 10 Little Gall Force, Scramble Wars

Friday 200
Macross Plus 1 40
Mihoshi Special 30
Arcadia of my Youth 130
fillers : Devil Hunter Yohko Super Music Clip, Tenchi Sound File

Saturday 210
Macross Plus 2 40
Macross Plus 3 40
Gundam F91 130
fillers : Macross Flash Back 2012, Cantonese SD Gundam

Sunday 220
Macross Plus 4 40
Urusei Yatsura : Always My Darling 70
Ranma 1/2 : Stormy Weather! Miss Hinako Comes to School 30
Project A-Ko 80
fillers : Compiler Music Clips in Trackdown, DoCo Music Videos, Chinese animation ("The Cowherd's Flute")

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 02:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

publius wrote:
Thursday 197
Gall Force : Eternal Story 87
Gall Force 2 : Destruction 50
Gall Force 3 : Stardust War 60
fillers : Earth Chapter music video album, 10 Little Gall Force, Scramble Wars

I have all the US release LaserDiscs. I keep forgetting the one title that didn't make it, was that Rhea Gall Force?

Also where can I find the fillers I love music video albums for anime.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 22:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xtempo wrote:
I have all the US release LaserDiscs. I keep forgetting the one title that didn't make it, was that Rhea Gall Force?

Also where can I find the fillers I love music video albums for anime.

Rhea, yes. That one is actually the first in the "Earth Chapter" sequence, but the change of title came about because of problems at the production company.

The music video albums, alas, are Japanese-release only.

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next