It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Must be nice to live in Japan: Check out this $20 LD lot
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 20:09 
Wow: the Dirty Pair, Gunbuster, Vifam, and Lodoss boxes (along with a bunch of other individual discs) for $20? That Dirty Pair box still goes for nearly $200 when it shows up on eBay alone (and that Lodoss box also looks very nice indeed).

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/r-plus/item/32759/

Post subject: Re: Must be nice to live in Japan: Check out this $20 LD lot
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 22:36 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I signed up and order 2 Evangelion LDs (the ones with Asuka on them) and Genesis 0:0 VHS for less than $3.00 but I have not gotten how much EMS shipping is.

the store on there that I order said foreign customers welcomed but I've not heard anything from them Surugaya-a-too is the seller.

the purchase history goes to a page about server maintenance so I haven't seen that yet. I hope my order works.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 22:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xtempo wrote:
I signed up and order 2 Evangelion LDs (the ones with Asuka on them) and Genesis 0:0 VHS for less than $3.00 but I have not gotten how much EMS shipping is.

the store on there that I order said foreign customers welcomed but I've not heard anything from them Surugaya-a-too is the seller.

the purchase history goes to a page about server maintenance so I haven't seen that yet. I hope my order works.

Did you order directly from Surugaya ? I would use rakuten or something if so, its some % more expensive but on lds thats only a fraction on the price anyway.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 23:03 
Yeah, you can't go wrong with Suruga-ya. I have been satisfied with everything they've sent me so far, and you just need to wait awhile for them to get the order together. They will then tell you the costs after they've figured things out. Weight is everything though, with EMS: if I was in Japan, I would honestly go nuts buying discs from Rakuten :lol:.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 23:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I kinda did this on a whim since the VHS copy of Genesis 0:0 was .30 cents with the 2 LDs were cheap also and it used EMS. I plan to frame the Asuka LDs since I already have those 2 but I might check both sets and which have the better quality.

Do they have a normal site like CDjapan or do they only sell on the Japan shopping mall site? I kinda wish I was in Japan but I'm use to living in the US and have somewhat big houses with full size appliances. I honestly do see how people live with a small fridge like in England. (I was over there 1 time but would love to go again and when you watch English shows like Doc Martin you can see how some places are tiny....Caroline Catz is dreamy:D)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 04:05 
Couldn't resist! Into the warehouse it goes...

On the subject of Suruga-ya, I've been watching their stock to pick up some of my remaining wish-list, and I'm always floored that they keep getting new stuff every couple of weeks. Good stuff, too. I'm glad people aren't just junking these discs... at the prices Suruga-ya charges, people must be donating them. :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 18:58 
nickgoracke wrote:
Couldn't resist! Into the warehouse it goes...

Awesome Score! I was just amazed at this lot and its cool that a LDDb member could get it :thumbup:.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 04:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

would love to find the Mamotte Shugogetten T.V.series collection for cheap like that...

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 07:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tasuke wrote:
would love to find the Mamotte Shugogetten T.V.series collection for cheap like that...

Yeah, that box looks great. I didn't get one with mine unfortunately though.

What's ridiculous though is that these discs are from what, 1998? and they're all mono only.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 05:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

naiaru wrote:
tasuke wrote:

What's ridiculous though is that these discs are from what, 1998? and they're all mono only.

= old school baby =)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 14:33 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

does anyone know how long Surugaya-a-too takes on orders? when I pay for the shipping and when they ship it.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2013, 17:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

naiaru wrote:
tasuke wrote:

the japanese home video market has long held an inexplicable love affair with MONO audio tracks for Anime releases, be damned if i have a clue why.

also, your set of Getten T.V. were probably bought individually by their original owner, hence the lack of collection slipcase.
any tips on where i too might obtain a set? MONO or no, i gotta have one, collection case or otherwise...

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2013, 18:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The Japanese did not adopt stereo audio for TV in the early 1980s as the US did. The emphasis was on satellite & HDTV, which would have multichannel audio. Cowboy Bebop was broadcast in stereo via satellite.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 01:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Cowboy bebop LDs are not English friendly. are they?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 01:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The list of Japanese-release anime LDs with English audio, subtitles, or captions is very short. Cowboy Bebop is not on that list.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 04:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tasuke wrote:
naiaru wrote:
tasuke wrote:

the japanese home video market has long held an inexplicable love affair with MONO audio tracks for Anime releases, be damned if i have a clue why.

also, your set of Getten T.V. were probably bought individually by their original owner, hence the lack of collection slipcase.
any tips on where i too might obtain a set? MONO or no, i gotta have one, collection case or otherwise...

It's not an awesome tip, but I got mine off eBay. You can't just save a search for "Mamotte Shugogetten" though, if it's a good deal I think it's usually because the seller doesn't know what he's selling. I got a Maison Ikkoku LD once for just a few bucks after shipping but it was listed as "pony canyon ld" and wasn't under "Anime" (before eBay combined "Anime" with "Animation"), for example. Also there's Rakuten, but you have to search the reference number (like LSTD01548 gets you nothing but LSTD 01548 gets you the first volume), though I got the Akazukin Chacha OVAs from this seller, surugaya-a-too, and the shipping for the three discs was over $30 and took more than a month.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

naiaru wrote:
It's not an awesome tip, but I got mine off eBay. You can't just save a search for "Mamotte Shugogetten" though...

thanks for the advice; i'll have to give it a shot... :)

publius wrote:
The Japanese did not adopt stereo audio for TV in the early 1980s as the US did. The emphasis was on satellite & HDTV...

as i recall, many U.S. T.V. channels, even some networks/affiliates IIRC, were criminally slow in moving to STEREO support,
taking at least until like 1987/1989+ to finally adapt. the old television powers that were generally had a gay ol' time
jerkin' everyone over. guess that's what a monopoly generally invariably leads to,
or perhaps i simply had an especially crummy CATV service in PORTLAND, OR. at the time, i dunno...

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]