It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:42

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Best looking cleanest anime on LD?
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 17:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s not really the digital paint that makes later productions so clean is because they were digital productions almost completely. They never had to shoot it on film and then transfer it to tape, they just rendered it live to tape, which was D2 by then. Later LDs overall look “better” because everything about LD was improving all the time. That’s why Goldeneye looks massively better than You Only Live Twice. In LDs time we went from the Atari 2600 on b/w TVs to Dreamcast at 480p.

In most cases a properly painted anime cell will have zero texture or gradient to the solid color areas. Sometimes they would airbrush white on top (Tatsunoko did this a lot but it was used even on cheap anime right to the end) but for the most part...it’s backpainted glass. Smooth as butter with zero randomness. That’s...why cels exist, because they turn out easy.

Cels are a great medium because even mediocre drawings look amazing as a cel...but drawings that are really really good lose a lot when they become cels. Because of this the cel is a sort of equalizer valve. The anime industry doesn’t need people who can draw well beyond a certain point but if you can draw OK you’ll fit. As the budgets fell out and producers were trying to save money...eventually they just fired everyone and outsourced it all to Korea. The anime industry that existed in the 80s Japan is somewhat gone. I say that because if you call up a studio in Japan to have them make something they will send all the grunt work to Korea. Even Ghibli has a studio in Korea. To me this is what’s lacking in new anime as much as cowardly producers. The people aren’t working together anymore. No kid can paint Transformers cels in a guys attic after school and see them on TV a week later. Those days feel like 1000 years in the past.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 18:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

..didnt know they were rendered live to tape D2 , perhaps you mean fully coloured on the pc screen and processing directly every frame as a .bitmap file ? that is not very glamourous for our loved laserdisc right? :lol:

Lets see...i remember two classic works:

hand drawn and painted cels → analog camera→16mm film→telecine machine → tape (analog or digital)→ Laserdisc recorder and vhs

hand drawn cels → scanner→ coloured on a pc→ digital file→digital tape→laserdisc recorder and vhs recorder

Last edited by ertoili on 15 Aug 2020, 19:41, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 18:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Relating to new anime absolutely agree...i play classic anime 99% of the time

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 21:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ertoili wrote:
..didnt know they were rendered live to tape D2 , perhaps you mean fully coloured on the pc screen and processing directly every frame as a .bitmap file ? that is not very glamourous for our loved laserdisc right? :lol:

Lets see...i remember two classic works:

hand drawn and painted cels → analog camera→16mm film→telecine machine → tape (analog or digital)→ Laserdisc recorder and vhs

hand drawn cels → scanner→ coloured on a pc→ digital file→digital tape→laserdisc recorder and vhs recorder

I honestly don't know exactly how something like Dynamite 7 was done but I would suspect they rendered the entire project to a digital video file that was then probably played in real time from a hard drive or digital backup source into a D2 recorder and that tape was the master for LD/VHD/DVD. For 0083, half a decade earlier, they shot everything to film but telecined it to D2 which is partly why that show is so crisp.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 01:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Cels are a great medium because even mediocre drawings look amazing as a cel...but drawings that are really really good lose a lot when they become cels. Because of this the cel is a sort of equalizer valve. The anime industry doesn’t need people who can draw well beyond a certain point but if you can draw OK you’ll fit. As the budgets fell out and producers were trying to save money...eventually they just fired everyone and outsourced it all to Korea. The anime industry that existed in the 80s Japan is somewhat gone. I say that because if you call up a studio in Japan to have them make something they will send all the grunt work to Korea. Even Ghibli has a studio in Korea. To me this is what’s lacking in new anime as much as cowardly producers. The people aren’t working together anymore. No kid can paint Transformers cels in a guys attic after school and see them on TV a week later. Those days feel like 1000 years in the past.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. There is still newer anime made passionately with soul as there was garbage older stuff just churned out for quick profit but there is no denying that the vast majority of series now are complete trash. This isn't even nostalgia either as I'm not overly fond of the time period of when I got into anime which was the early to mid 2000s. I had to work backwards to discover 80s/90s gems. There was at least still some more ambitious stuff then. Ergo Proxy never happens now.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2