It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:48

Page 19 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 20:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I wonder if the high price is a carryover from thinking behind the abortive attempt to self-release it in the USA, by the original studio, back ages ago. They wanted Japanese prices, like a couple thousand dollars, and surveyed otaku here for interest...and naturally it never came to fruition. Could be that sort of thinking still on the part of the licensors, hence the throwback pricing to pay the fat license?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 20:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I feel its one of those very limited Super Otaku that needs to own it.
Anybody in Japan can just pickup LDs or DVDs and enjoy the series but here we need the subs etc. and I'm sure there is a very limited run of these boxes
and only the Super Otaku can afford it or will want to afford it.

I had a single OVA LD years ago and sold it since I never thought I would ever get the complete series, now I can get it on LD but I just can't justify the space.
So I'll wait for some other release, possibly one of those Thailand boots for 20 bucks.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 21:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’d welcome that sort of thing as a trend but only if the quality is equal to the JP version and there’s almost no chance it is.

Bandai does do “world” released at JP prices and then sells it at one shop, Right Stuff. I’m totally cool with that since the quality is identical but it has to be a megahit like Gundam to work and even then it’s greatly aided by there only being one BR master so it really doesn’t cost anything other than the translation.

Viz officially imported VHS of the Grey OVA at like $100 or something back in the 80s. I have the ad for it somewhere.

I’m having a hard time thinking of other examples but I’m sure there are a couple. Sanrio Film and Unico, I suppose, but that was pre-US otaku stuff.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 21:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have no experience with any of that. The only proper anime box set I have is the Macross one, the one that came with Volume 1 and you had to fill the rest yourself. Everything else is just regular keepcases or steelbooks. I also got into collecting just as VHS was on it's way out and everything had dropped in price so I have like zero recollection of home video costing like $50 or more.

Somebody on 4chan suggested that the reason we're seeing all this oldschool anime suddenly is because while everything else is moving on to streaming, the collectors and archivists of this stuff are the ones who want physical copies, and the classic stuff is what appeals to them. Personally I don't really care about the packaging if it means getting something instead of nothing. We're seeing a lot of oldschool anime getting released now that previously either had incomplete fansubs (Great Mazinger) or none at all (1980 Tetsujin 28) so I'm a happy camper...or at least I would be if they weren't on those f***ing SDBDs.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 21:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh man, the prices.
I remember trying to buy the VHS USA dub of Battle for moon station dalos. in SP it was 120 bucks and EP was 15 bucks.

VHS was super expensive, prices then were crazy, but we were riding high on 80s and 90s big bucks.
That Astroboy set I have was for sale at an LD shop in Boston and retail they wanted 3G for it.

People really felt that these would be the be all end all, you would never need to upgrade when you were buying a "perfect collection" or such.
Now we can get that stuff super cheap other than Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

As for the SDBR I would much rather just buy it on DVD than some special/not so special SDBR.......

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 22:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I saw the LOGH laserdisc box sets which presumably collect the entire series in two volumes on ebay for going about 100+ dollars a pop, so even that one's not that expensive considering there's like 14 discs in each. Unfortunately like signofzeta said, you definitely need subtitles for that one unless you're fluent in Japanese.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 23:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've seen 4 box sets, was it also released in 2?

Then there is the OVA set of 13 or so discs which is what I believe I had in the past, or one of the few OVA movies?
So much to that series.

Last edited by rein-o on 12 Dec 2018, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 23:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m pretty sure you can’t fit it all in two boxes but I don’t know much about it. The LDs are all compilations except for maybe the movies. I’m %99 sure the bulk of this series was subscription VHS and the LDs came later to collect them. Many (most?) OVAs by the early 90s didn’t even have VHS releases anymore but LGH was so massive it needed an alternative model, I think one series was two tapes a month for ¥2800 each or so.

Btw, I have Battle For Moonstation Dalos from FHE. I think mine is later though because it has a cardboard slip case. As lame as that OVA is...you can still see the style of Oshii in there so true maniax kinda need to have it.

Btw, when doing some research recently I learned that Meitantei Holmes (Famous Detective Holmes): Memorial Box (1984) [TKLO-50023] was also released on VHS. You don’t even want to know how much more expensive it was than the LD one (rental priced).

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 01:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They're probably just volumes 1 and 2 out of 4. Releasing the series in four box sets makes more sense anyway since the main series is divided into four chapters.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 22:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Not really an anime but it probably should have been so here goes.

GUNHED.
OK film until the kids show up then its downhill from there.
The action reminds me of the live action on the Appleseed disc Appleseed (1988) [BELL-640]

Really wish that Appleseed would have been made, it would have been really great.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 04:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have the DVD, the PC Engine game and even some of the manga but I can’t tell you to save my life what the connection is between any of them or what any of it is about. It’s almost as “multi-media” as Patlabor but it just never worked out.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 17:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

GUNHED has been a guilty pleasure of mine since i first picked up my original ADV VHS copy at SUNCOAST VIDEO in the late-90's.

i was really into it for a while there, even built a transformable model of the GUNHED battle tank mecha out of LEGOs once;

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 17:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well now that's pretty cool.
Took some time and imagination to get that done.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 18:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m impressed.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 19:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
We're looking at early 00's anime DVD prices here. Remember those? When you had to pay like 30 bucks just for four episodes?

Discotek has spoiled us.

I remember those days.

All the companies have spoiled us. With Discotek it's mostly older stuff, so the great prices for the content you get do make some sense. Even though I and likely many here prefer older anime, it is, well...old obviously. So a tougher sell for big numbers if you try to price it like something new. Newer shows now typically pre-order for like $35-40 for the 13 episode range. Beats the $120 of the olden days for sure but I still almost never do it.

signofzeta wrote:
I’d welcome that sort of thing as a trend but only if the quality is equal to the JP version and there’s almost no chance it is.

Bandai does do “world” released at JP prices and then sells it at one shop, Right Stuff. I’m totally cool with that since the quality is identical but it has to be a megahit like Gundam to work and even then it’s greatly aided by there only being one BR master so it really doesn’t cost anything other than the translation.

Viz officially imported VHS of the Grey OVA at like $100 or something back in the 80s. I have the ad for it somewhere.

I’m having a hard time thinking of other examples but I’m sure there are a couple. Sanrio Film and Unico, I suppose, but that was pre-US otaku stuff.

I really appreciate those Gundam releases. Some of the absolute favorites in my media library.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 19:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I have no experience with any of that. The only proper anime box set I have is the Macross one, the one that came with Volume 1 and you had to fill the rest yourself. Everything else is just regular keepcases or steelbooks. I also got into collecting just as VHS was on it's way out and everything had dropped in price so I have like zero recollection of home video costing like $50 or more.

Somebody on 4chan suggested that the reason we're seeing all this oldschool anime suddenly is because while everything else is moving on to streaming, the collectors and archivists of this stuff are the ones who want physical copies, and the classic stuff is what appeals to them. Personally I don't really care about the packaging if it means getting something instead of nothing. We're seeing a lot of oldschool anime getting released now that previously either had incomplete fansubs (Great Mazinger) or none at all (1980 Tetsujin 28) so I'm a happy camper...or at least I would be if they weren't on those f***ing SDBDs.

Does Japan have real BDs of them? Might just be the original source material isn't great.

Also, we are getting XABUNGLE from Maiden Japan. What a time to be a fan of old anime.

@tasuke: That's really neat. Well done.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 22:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Man, Xabungle was one of those shows where I had the bootleg toys but nothing else. I didn’t actually see any of it until the 90s.

Sentai Anime sent me my last item from that big order, Vampire Hunter D. It came from Right Stuf. Are they the same company?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 23:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They are not, but Rightstuf handles most of the anime distribution in the US. All my Sentai orders came from Righstuf. Sentai branded boxes and the order slip said anime fulfillment center but they shipped from Grimes, IA and were packed the same way RS packs. I would assume they have some kind of business agreement. My recent Funimation order otoh came from somewhere in Texas.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 16:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Man, Xabungle was one of those shows where I had the bootleg toys but nothing else.

Coincidentally, I also had one! I think. This was like almost 30 years ago but I swear I used to have this little red starship that turned into a robot and it looked just like the Iron Gear.

gypsy wrote:
Does Japan have real BDs of them? Might just be the original source material isn't great.

Source material of what now? Macross? I'm pretty sure Great Mazinger and the 80's Tetsujin were unsubbed simply due to lack of interest by people with the necessary skills. I know Macross definitely excists as a BD in Japan.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

kinda wished i had picked up the KOTOBUKIYA GUNHED 1/35 kit when it came out several years back,
but other things got on the way at the time, and now it's a rare and overpriced collectors' item on the BAY.

looking into it, however, it appears that it is to have a reasonably priced reissue in FEB.
perhaps i'll have my chance at one yet;

https://hlj.com/1-35-scale-gunhed-kbykp-190

Page 19 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 64  Next