It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:50

Page 30 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 18:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i saw PATLABOR 2 once, well over 20 years ago.

i recall being terribly bored by it then, but that WAS long ago, so i ought to consider picking a copy up one of these days,
probably the BANDAI/HONNEAMISE DVD special edition, to match the PATLABOR MOVIE 1 that i picked up years back for dirt cheap.

not perfect, but a solidly good movie on the whole;

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 23:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:

forper wrote:
how can you lump Macross Plus in with the rest of Macross??, it's a totally different kind of show to the rest.
I don't have a problem with you liking it but putting it in the same pile as SDFM and DYRL just because it has the name Macross is wrong.

Ummmm, actually it IS MACROSS. as such, it IS part of the overarching franchise;

It's even officially a different canon to Macross II but you have it together on the shelf. That is wrong to me.

Everyone knows Macross Plus was an off the shelf Top Gun script that Kawamori liked and has absolutely no connection to true Macross. True Macross was a collaboration between a lot of great people, Ishiguro bringing real space opera cred and experience, the absolute genius and madman visionary truck driver Itano, of course Mikimoto, Akiyama, even Anno was on it. All Kawamori did was come up with the Valkyrie, a groundbreaking design, but apart from that he has NO talent. He should be an engineer or a product designer, not an anime director and producer.

Look at every Kawamori anime, Escaflowne, Earthean?, they suck okay. So do his hijacked Macross shows. They all suck and have nothing in common with Macross. At lease Macross II was thematically similar, even if the story is mediocre, it has great music, some great animation, GREAT mecha and capital ship updates. Mikimoto chara designs. It was set a bit too far in the future.

I believe my viewpoint on Macross will grow and one day there will be a true sequel with the one trick pony Kawamori excluded, he can go and produce another Macross show thats new and shiney but totally unconnected to true macross.

The new show will have Ishiguro's favorite director in charge and be Big West produced. It will tell the true story of the Megaroad and its voyage, what true fans have always wanted. .

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 23:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Quote:
Yeah, you’re simple minded. I’ll take that explanation.

harsh. Why are you such a dick?

Quote:
Don’t paint me as a defender of SOS Brigade but what you said is exactly what I though you’d say. The scif, which is the only thing setting the show apart from the sort of gal get garbage you live off, you consider the most offensive element. Any time a story tries to be more than the most infantile merch delivery vehicle you drop these comments. You like dumb pervert anime. You aren’t going to like like Patlabor. They talk and talk and talk in that show. Sometimes it’s pretty grown up stuff about history and morality and getting a paycheck and wondering about the future and all that. Thinking about how your own brain works. It’s the most terrifying stuff on earth for a total shut in with ultra limited horizons. Trade it away for some Tokimeki Memorial catcher toys or something. To you, people only read books without pictures in them to fulfill an undeserved feeling of mental superiority over others, undeserved because nobody is actually smart or wants to grow. They’re all faking it and trying to exploit it. If we were all honest with ourselves we’d just watch shows where the hero walks into baths and gets bras thrown in his face every episode, right?

Yeah I'm a lot more like Tasuke than you, I hate pretention.

Quote:
Legally Macross II's very existence seems sketchy. The series itself probably wasn’t even made legally.

??? :roll: :roll: :crazy: I guess the PC Engine games in the same canon are illegal bootlegs too then? :lolno:

Quote:
I love the designs but Macross isn’t supposed to be the same thing over and over.

It doesn't have to be, but it should still "feel" somewhat the same. Macross Plus feels like..Macross Plus..

Quote:
Macross Zero is just unpleasant to watch. I don’t know if I consider it real Macross or not because I’ve never watched it a second time. I think Macross is supposed to be fun and somewhat light and this isn’t that so I’m not into it either way.

? Most of SDF Macross is a gritty depressing war story. That's why I love it :D

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019, 03:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just finished watching Wizard Barristers, fun action packed series with a pretty non-sense story. Most won't like it as the story is a bit "out there"., but then I've liked the two previous entries from this same studio/director; those being Mezzo Forte and Mezzo.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019, 05:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Quote:

I think Zeta thinks hes much older than he is. Sometimes seems jaded too.
Guess he's seen it all.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019, 15:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i do indeed love MACROSS II. everything about is is first rate, IMO. in fact, overall, the MOVIE edit is my favorite MACROSS entry beyond 1984 DYRL.
indeed, MAC II positively blew me away when i first rented it from HOLLYWOOD VIDEO back around 1996/1997-ish.

that said, i also feel PLUS is equally first rate, despite possessing next to none of the usual, recognizable MACROSS beats/tropes.

if it isn't True MACROSS to your personal purview, well, that is perfectly fine, actually. More Power to you.

for myself, as well as a great many fellow fans out there, however, PLUS is indeed a true, bona-fide masterpiece,
however jarringly different from "MACROSS Proper" it might feel overall...

gypsy wrote:
This is why I thought you might like Orphen.

Slayers is the standard but I think Orphen, Lodoss War and Rune Soldier are all at least watchable.
These are some of the shut your brain off popcorn flicks of anime that I like along with shoujo.

just finished ORPHEN last night. now, it's on to CASSHAN. Hoooooo, Boy...

well, bad as the second season was, i suppose ORPHEN wasn't a TOTAL loss.

at least the series left me SOMETHING. a pair of memorable ED songs;

* Chinatsu Miyoshi - Love, Yes I Do
* Melon Kinenbi -Amai Anata no Aji

and a rather likable character, -at least to me- "Lycoris Neilsen"

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019, 18:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:
Quote:

I think Zeta thinks hes much older than he is. Sometimes seems jaded too.
Guess he's seen it all.

I’m agreeing with what he said himself. “I guess I’m just simple minded”, so I said “yeah”. What am I supposed to do, give him a pep talk? A lying pep talk that he doesn’t even agree with?

Look, it’s one thing to say “I like easily digested entertainment, so sue me.” The problem comes when you insult the stuff you’re too lazy to watch as if the problem really lied elsewhere.

When you accuse something of being “pretentious”...the correct use of that term is when someone is putting on airs. When they are trying to make something smarter than they are. Fake smart, fake culture, fake science, fake experience.

When you’re bored by Patlabor 2 and you fall asleep and didn’t see it, then that term doesn’t apply. If Patlabor 2 is pretentious that means that it is fabricating an inauthentic veneer of sophistication AND that the one using the term is too smart to not see through it. You use “pretentious” when YOU are smarter than the thing. Like Avatar, The Matrix, the “spirituality” of Star Wars, or anything Joel Rogan has involved himself in. Using it on stuff that’s actually smart simply outs the user as a dumb or lazy. If they can’t even understand the terms they have decided to use to describe something then how are we supposed to believe their negative judgement of the thing?

So if Ghost in the Shell isn’t as smart as it pretends to be I want someone smarter than me to explain why and if they do I’m not going to call them a moron. If they can’t do that...then they’re talking out of their a**, period. The same goes for thousands of other non-anime things they don’t get.

There really is such a thing as smart stuff and dumb stuff. Don’t try to equalize it all for reasons of ideology.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 10:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Okay that's your ideology. You won't ever change and neither will any of us, we're all over 35 I think? Just gotta be tolerant

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 06:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just watched a somewhat obscure OVA called D-1 Devastator, never released on DVD or released outside of Japan AFAIK. The story itself has no direct relation to The Transformers but it was released by Takara, who strangely didn't seem to release any toys for it, just the Mega CD game (which I have and is okay) and the cancelled Super Famicom game. There's also a sequence in vol 2 that looks VERY similar to Unicron's transformation sequence from The Transformers The Movie, so much that I suspect the same animator(s?) did these sequences, either that or it's a blatant rip-off, which would be weird for a Takara OVA. (edit: forgot to mention that OBARI Masami was the "Mecha Action Supervisor" and YOSHIOKA Hidetsugu was one of the mecha designers, they also have a long history with The Transformers)

The OVA itself is OK, animation is above average but nothing mindblowing. Story is a bit nonsensical and rushed, at least what from what I could remember as I was a bit drunk while watching it. Still not sure how the good guys saved the day at the end, going to have to re-watch and pay better attention next time...

Last edited by jd213 on 18 Dec 2019, 06:34, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 06:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Man, I need something exactly like that right now.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 06:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Would lend it to you if we were in the same country (dunno if there are fansub scripts anywhere), but I wouldn't recommend spending too much on it. (edit: you probably wouldn't want my copy of Vol 2 anyway: CAV disc glitches and jumps back several minutes )

Also watched Detonator Orgun recently, the animation on this was pretty good, but the PQ on the first disc (maybe first two discs, I forget) was pretty bad, like it had burnt-in composite artifacts.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 21:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t use subtitles usually, psychic.

Organ is pretty good but not great. It is full of great Obari cuts though and the soundtrack is easily one of the greatest in anime, Susumu Hirasawa.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 21:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Rewatching Space Pirate Captain Harlock and SSX in memoriam of the recently deceased VA of the good captain, Makio Inoue. Matsumoto himself had a major health scare in Italy as well last month but lived on to fight in the sea of stars another day.

Still need to expand my Leijiverse LD holdings one of these days, I have:
- Two out of 3 of the GE999 TV boxes
- Matsumoto Reiji Anime Theater gatefold (Toei Manga Matsuri film versions of shows like Harlock, Starzinger)
- GE999 movies Galaxy Box
- Cockpit OVA series
- GE999 TV special "Can you love like a mother"
- one of the Queen Emeraldas OVA discs
- the ancient Adieu GE999 gatefold from the early 80s that one of the very first Toei LDs
- Yamato Perfect Collection movie box
- Queen Millennia movie (Pony Canyon late 90s edition)
Need:
- last 999 TV box
- 78 Harlock double box set
- SSX gatefolds
- Queen Millennia TV double box set

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 08:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice collection, I have always wanted to get into Leiji Matsumoto stuff deeply

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 15:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nearly through CASSHAN T.V. and, -i know i'm going to get roasted for this- it's one of those shows that could have been GREAT,
but, alas, it's storytelling, more often than not is JUST PLAIN STUPID.

though it DOES attempt to rise above it's saturday-morning standards on occasion,
and, largely fails at even that much, all the rest of the time, it simply is far too much of a typical breakfast-cereal series
to even begin to ever reach it's own higher-minded pretensions.

well, after this 1970's horse is taken out back and shot, i finally have NADIA and PATLABOR to look forward to.

God, how i pray that the very best was saved for last, as i NEED some SOLID QUALITY after all this... This CRAP...

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 15:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Can't say I've ever wanted to watch Casshan.

Anime has been on the back burner for me. Trying to watch some LDs I've had since the summer and doing a decent job of that... And got back to Xenogears.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019, 06:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Casshan reminds me of Android Kikaider... but without the sex. Just for the record, robot sex was the only thing memorable about Kikaider. :crazy:

Tonight I finished watching Battle Girls: Time Paradox. A rather silly yuri-esque isekei featuring a alternate universe Oda Nobunaga. It was rather entertaining.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019, 15:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

harlock wrote:
Still need to expand my Leijiverse LD holdings one of these days, I have:
- Two out of 3 of the GE999 TV boxes
- GE999 movies Galaxy Box
- the ancient Adieu GE999 gatefold from the early 80s that one of the very first Toei LDs

Need:
- last 999 TV box
- 78 Harlock double box set
- SSX gatefolds
- Queen Millennia TV double box set

I had that Harlock TV set from the first series, really nice, now I'm trying to get the DVD to replace it.

How is the first issue GE999 adieu compared to the PQ in the box of films??
Always wanted to pickup those as individual titles.

Now that they are releasing the series in the US on bluray I'm sure people will be letting go of their GE999 boxes.
Took me some time but I did pickup all 3 boxes and specials, love the intros on those specials with the real 999!!!!!!!!

Now you are all getting me scared about Casshan, I've only watched the first epi and I really love the style of anime,
I hope its OK and not a bummer.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019, 18:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Casshan...are you guys talking about the 70s series or some new thing?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019, 19:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

How is the Fruits Basket for a casual anime watcher? Is it a chick flick?

Page 30 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 64  Next