It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:15

Page 31 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019, 19:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Casshan...are you guys talking about the 70s series or some new thing?

I'm talking about the 70s series.

Not sure what fruits basket is, sorry substance.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019, 20:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
How is the Fruits Basket for a casual anime watcher?

I enjoyed it but

substance wrote:
Is it a chick flick?

Basically.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 01:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Have only seen the original series and that must've been ten years ago, but... I wouldn't really call it shoujo. It's very emotional for sure but I believe most people can at least see its qualities. Certainly amusing too.

EDIT: I don't watch any series/shows at all (regardless it being animated or live-action) but I believe these are all of the anime films I've seen so far this year for the first time:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Mirai
Mary and the Witch’s Flower
Napping Princess
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
The Anthem of the Heart
Fireworks
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
5 Centimeters per Second
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
The Red Turtle
The Garden of Words (short)
The Case of Hana & Alice
Night Is Short, Walk on Girl

Must admit 5 Centimeters per Second is arguably the best anime I've ever seen to this point. It depicts distances between people on both physical, social and mental levels in such a touching way which finally ties together so nicely. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya also made great impact on me. The Case of Hana & Alice was by far the most uninteresting, but so far I haven't been very impressed by the works of Iwai Shunji to begin with. Will give him at least one more chance.

Last edited by nissling on 22 Dec 2019, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 01:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o:
Quote:
How is the first issue GE999 adieu compared to the PQ in the box of films??
Always wanted to pickup those as individual titles

Pretty darn good, I would say, which is impressive given it's 1984 street date. There's the Queen Millennia movie on Toei Video of the same vintage I need as well - it would complement my Pony Canyon version as the old Toei edition is 4x3 versus the 16x9 matte of the former (which is original AR is debatable - the old Matsumoto films were masked to widescreen during projection as open matte features, but you do lose stuff in frame and only AOMY appeared to me to have an actual unfinished background or two visible at 4x3).

Quote:
Now that they are releasing the series in the US on bluray I'm sure people will be letting go of their GE999 boxes.

It would be nice to finish my set. Hopefully that bluray doesn't have any DNR issues or whatever given the disastrous previous attempt by another company, which is another reason I like having the LD as the transfer was done long before the options were available to mess things up digitally. The LD transfer of GE999 TV does have the occasional visible film splice at the top of the frame, but otherwise looks nice.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 01:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm at the point in my life that I can't keep buying the same thing over and over again.
While I love GE999 I've had the galaxy box since the early 90s, I want to say around 1992 or around there.
And the series I was able to complete around 2003-4 and have enjoyed watching them all and can't spend hundred or hundreds more.

I have read about the poor enhancements on some releases but I'll stick with the LDs and enjoy them.

Loved the series when they played it after some type of Japanese international news in NYC on public TV and was hooked, would record as many episodes
as possible on VHS but when I found the film I was hooked on that.

I do own the films on DVD and its sad to see them matted, feel squished rather than the 4.3 but also could be due to knowing that version only for so many years, who knows.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 02:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Wow, you really were among the very lucky few to see the GE999 series on TV here, along with those who caught Nippon Golden Network broadcast of it in Hawaii. The Galaxy Box will remain the definitive video release of the movies for now - in addition to the crop that really loses much image, they really went to town on the DNR stuff and those same transfers are being used again on the movies.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 02:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:

Must admit 5 Centimeters per Second is arguably the best anime I've ever seen to this point. It depicts distances between people on both physical, social and mental levels in such a touching way which finally ties together so nicely. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya also made great impact on me. The Case of Hana & Alice was by far the most uninteresting, but so far I haven't been very impressed by the works of Iwai Shunji to begin with. Will give him at least one more chance.

Yeah 5 Centimeters is a great movie no doubt about it.

harlock wrote:
It would be nice to finish my set. Hopefully that bluray doesn't have any DNR issues or whatever given the disastrous previous attempt by another company, which is another reason I like having the LD as the transfer was done long before the options were available to mess things up digitally. The LD transfer of GE999 TV does have the occasional visible film splice at the top of the frame, but otherwise looks nice.

If anyone can do it right, it's Discotek. Very glad they have it over other possible options given the care they have put in to other releases that I have. I'll report on it as I have it coming with Giant Robo. Hopefully soon.

harlock wrote:
Wow, you really were among the very lucky few to see the GE999 series on TV here, along with those who caught Nippon Golden Network broadcast of it in Hawaii. The Galaxy Box will remain the definitive video release of the movies for now - in addition to the crop that really loses much image, they really went to town on the DNR stuff and those same transfers are being used again on the movies.

I didn't have an issue with the Adieu Galaxy Express 999 BD tbh.

Kind of curious now about the image loss though, I never did see it on LD.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 06:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
so far I haven't been very impressed by the works of Iwai Shunji to begin with. Will give him at least one more chance.

You've seen Swallowtail Butterfly right? I like it a lot. But maybe because it came out when I first lived in Japan and my girlfriend at the time was really into Chara and it had that song..

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 11:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turns out... Shinkansen trains can also transform!!!

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 16:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:
Kind of curious now about the image loss though, I never did see it on LD.

Its basically zoomed in from the 4.3 like an open matte on a 16x9 TV, you really lose the top and bottom.
While its not bad you do notice it once you have seen it.

In another note, the Harlock Arcadia film on the later LD release is actually cropped in widescreen and the first DVD issue
is a very poor image but open matte 3.4

Transforming Shinkansen trains are pretty crazy.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think the new blu-ray of Arcadia comes with a full frame version but it's SD only.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 18:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That's another thing that really gets me, why are they releasing all of these SDBD's why not just release it on DVD its cheaper and the same thing.

Just cheap and I'm pulling a laserbite in a way, boycott SDBD.
I just won't do it, there are lots of anime series that I've been waiting to see but I just won't do the SDBD route, really won't do the BD route either,
but really, really, really won't do the SDBD.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 18:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

And my biggest annoyance with SDBD is that from my perspective it's just worst of both worlds in the sense that it's only standard definition and isn't even region free like the DVDs.

I mean, I bought a US player so I could watch my region A discs, and the damn thing broke and I couldn't afford to send it back so at this point I'd rather just avoid region A discs entirely but these Discotek releases obviously have no region B equivalent! :x The only way I can watch stuff like the Arcadia blu-ray is on my PC, but I hate watching movies on my PC. Even when I'm only watching video files I just move them onto a USB stick so I can watch them through my TV instead.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 21:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm part of the problem. I voted for SDBD over DVD when they ran their poll. Lower disc count and shelf space, not sorry. :p

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 21:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
That's another thing that really gets me, why are they releasing all of these SDBD's why not just release it on DVD its cheaper and the same thing.

I just won't do it, there are lots of anime series that I've been waiting to see but I just won't do the SDBD route, really won't do the BD route either,

By what logic is DVD cheaper? They have to made four times as many discs.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 21:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:

By what logic is DVD cheaper? They have to made four times as many discs.

That is true, even though mass-producing optical discs is dirt cheap these days so you'd think it hardly makes a difference.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 22:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would bet money SDBR is cheaper. Just look at the packaging these people put out. It couldn’t be more cost efficient.

Disc authoring sort of has to be done by the disc. Fewer discs equals less checking for screwups. I also don’t think that in 2019 it costs much less to made a single DVD. Considering the retail price of brand new BRs is starting to drop below $5 in some cases I’m assuming the pressing cost is down below $1, at least for the majors.

This dumb “no Blu-ray” thing Rein-O is on makes less sense every time he brings it up. He’s committed to sticking with DVD even if he has to pay more and eventually make a habit of checking out the Salvation Army store just to find still working players that won’t do Blu-ray.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 23:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
This dumb “no Blu-ray” thing Rein-O is on makes less sense every time he brings it up. He’s committed to sticking with DVD even if he has to pay more and eventually make a habit of checking out the Salvation Army store just to find still working players that won’t do Blu-ray.

:clap: :lol:

I'm not not getting a BD player, I do own one, I just have no more space in my brain for another format.
Trying to focus on other things rather than buying the same thing over and over again just to compare which copy I have
has a better PQ or less edge enhancement or, or....

And trying to stay off the spectrum as much as possible without comparing everything to the past.

There are LDs which I've only watched once, I have no need to upgrade that film to DVD or another format and may even
live without said disc/movie.

Also the cases don't fit in with what I have so I'm not dealing with it.

Started getting LDs when my father bought our first player back in 1989, stopped buying LDs around 1993, started again when ebay
came around and I figured I would pickup what I was missing out on.

Then picked up my first DVD player around 2005, about 8-10 years after DVD started, picked up stuff and then bought my first BD
player around 4 years ago didn't really get into it and I'm not about to start with 4K or whatever the next format will be
after how many years of 4K and it not really sticking like it should due to streaming, downloads etc.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 14:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
This dumb “no Blu-ray” thing Rein-O is on makes less sense every time he brings it up.
He’s committed to sticking with DVD even if he has to pay more and eventually make a habit of checking out the Salvation Army store
just to find still working players that won’t do Blu-ray.

lots of fine higher-end DVD players out there, beautifully-built TOTL models of all brands from the late-90's/early-00's,
many of which with a fit and finish reminiscent of the better examples of A/V gear from the GoodOldDays,
and much of it available today for a fraction of it's original MSRP.

i had a 1998 PIONEER ELITE DV-09 for a few years, before it died on me. unbelievably overbuilt,
but potentially unreliable, and an absolute cast-iron b**ch to service, at that.

beautiful as it is, i shifted to PIONEER's 2001 Near-TOTL ELITE DV-37 after the 09 failed.
i'm glad i did, nowhere as overbuilt, but still uncommonly well-made and gorgeously-finished,
logically-designed and easy to service, and, -most important of all- RELIABLE.

i've had mine for the better part of a decade, and it has seen MANY hours now,
yet it is soldiering right on to this day, with not even a minor hiccup to date. DVD Forever.

that said, Blu-Ray is no unwelcome stranger at all around here.
indeed, the format is well handled by a 2008 PIONEER ELITE BDP-05FD with the most recent Firmware installed,
a fine complement in fit, finish and overall dimension to the superlative DV-37...

ALSO; several episodes into NADIA so far. LeGasp; a GOOD Anime series, with a heart and a soul even,
after that long, winding, near-uninterrupted parade of empty, utterly-forgettable schlock? Whatever Next?!?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 17:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The problem with old high end DVD players is that they suck now. Almost no DVD player that lacks an HDMI port can produce an image as good as a launch PS3 or even one of those $69.99 Sony machines.

It turns out all the wood and gold plating and oversized caps don’t help with digital video...sad but true.

Page 31 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 64  Next