It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:26

Page 52 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 18:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd give CCS about a 7/10. Mostly it just started getting repetitive in a similar fashion to the Lupin series. Enjoyable to watch a few episodes before bed and not have to worry about paying full attention (again like Lupin lol).

Some scores of stuff I've been watching...

Fist of the North Star 7/10 same issue with repetition

Lupin III: Part II 7/10

Marmalade Boy 7.5/10 Great mix of comedy and drama. Filled with various shoujo tropes. Not quite HYD level but still really good.

The Law of Ueki 7/10 Comments from earlier apply. Straight forward shonen and I'm not expecting any real curve balls.

Hanasakeru Seishounen 8.5/10 I think I finally know where this is heading now in terms of the romance. If so, an excellent choice but this show has surprised me before so I'll see. This is pretty dramatic even by anime standards, not much in the way of comedic relief either. The non-romance plot is actually not bad and exists which is a plus.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 19:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gypsy wrote:
I'd give CCS about a 7/10. Mostly it just started getting repetitive in a similar fashion to the Lupin series. Enjoyable to watch a few episodes before bed and not have to worry about paying full attention (again like Lupin lol).

In these days of binge-watch mentality, I'm increasingly seeing the "nice to watch a few before bed" quality as a selling point. If I need a surefire way to improve my evening, picking a Cowboy Bebop episode at random is one of the best options.

As for CCS, for me so far it has a good balance where I can watch a few, put it aside for a while, and come back without it feeling stale and without my feeling lost. (Contrast with something like Crest of the Stars, whose episodes were way over-dense with world-building elements to remember, and also ran together to such a degree that one time it took me ten minutes to realize that I wasn't watching a really long recap segment but rather the same episode again.) CCS episodes' self-containment and relatively low reliance on stock footage (so far) make it ideal for pick-up viewing.

EDIT: Speaking of CCS, can I just say that Tomoyo's media room is pretty damn sweet? She's got some major video-nerd cred.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 22:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
gypsy wrote:

In these days of binge-watch mentality, I'm increasingly seeing the "nice to watch a few before bed" quality as a selling point. If I need a surefire way to improve my evening, picking a Cowboy Bebop episode at random is one of the best options.

As for CCS, for me so far it has a good balance where I can watch a few, put it aside for a while, and come back without it feeling stale and without my feeling lost. (Contrast with something like Crest of the Stars, whose episodes were way over-dense with world-building elements to remember, and also ran together to such a degree that one time it took me ten minutes to realize that I wasn't watching a really long recap segment but rather the same episode again.) CCS episodes' self-containment and relatively low reliance on stock footage (so far) make it ideal for pick-up viewing.

EDIT: Speaking of CCS, can I just say that Tomoyo's media room is pretty damn sweet? She's got some major video-nerd cred.

I actually don't like binging if I can help it which is why I alternate shows.

I just don't want to watch something that is super story intensive right before bed since there is the possibility I will start drifting off to sleep. Not a big deal if you miss like 5 minutes of a Lupin or CCS episode.

As far as I could tell watching it years ago CCS is completely episodic which tracks with what you were saying about it.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 23:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A live action version of the Arsene Lupin story is on Netflix (not anime related). Has anyone seen it? Looks good from the trailers I've seen.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 14:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

20 eps. in or so now, and Sakura has yet to disappoint!! the series is crammed with heart and character,
exactly the sort of memorable experience that stays with you,
that only a tiny handful among the fat stack of Anime i sat through over the last two years could even begin to match.

and, indeed, touches such as Tomoyo and her A/V geekery are most unconventional, and add immensely to the characters' humanistic charm,
a sense of realism that is sorely and utterly missing in the majority of Anime, particularly just about everything out there remotely modern at all...

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 15:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I always found that Watanabe shows (Bebop, Kids on the Slope etc) had more realistic characters than most. That's something I always appreciated about Bebop, all the protagonists have flaws and feel human. Bebop is definitely a 9/10 anime. KotS is more hit/miss I probably like Honey & Clover more as this genre goes but both are good.

It's been too long since I've seen any CC to comment on it properly.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 15:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I absolutely love Kids on a Slope. In fact when I watch it I get pissed that the other shows are so unrealistic and stupid. Yes, there are kids in Japan who don’t get good grades and don’t join any clubs and not just cool gangsters with martial arts, lots of people! You wouldn’t know it watching all that moe style Saved by the Bell BS though.

My biggest issue with Touch is that the main characters are “chosen ones”. Prom king and queen, more or less. What’s going on with the other 450 kids at that school, eh?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 16:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I absolutely love Kids on a Slope. In fact when I watch it I get pissed that the other shows are so unrealistic and stupid. Yes, there are kids in Japan who don’t get good grades and don’t join any clubs and not just cool gangsters with martial arts, lots of people! You wouldn’t know it watching all that moe style Saved by the Bell BS though.

My biggest issue with Touch is that the main characters are “chosen ones”. Prom king and queen, more or less. What’s going on with the other 450 kids at that school, eh?

Yeah Kids on the Slope is an easy 9 for me. It's fantastic. The hit or miss thing was in regards to how people seem to view it compared to Cowboy Bebop.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 18:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rcarlson wrote:
gypsy wrote:

I so believe that Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are far superior than anything star wars. lafiel is up there in my favorites. Though to be fair CCS and crest/banner are different in every way. It needs the world building whereas a magical girl show doesn't. both should be watched though.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 19:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

xtempo wrote:
I so believe that Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are far superior than anything star wars. lafiel is up there in my favorites. Though to be fair CCS and crest/banner are different in every way. It needs the world building whereas a magical girl show doesn't. both should be watched though.

I will say this: compared to Star Wars Episode IX I think that Crest/Banner of the Stars looks like the epitome of storytelling and proper pacing! xD

In all seriousness, I should clarify that I don't want to dump on Crest of the Stars, and it was an odd comparison to make when we were talking about Cardcaptor Sakura. It was just the first thing that came to mind when I tried to think of an anime that demands close attention and is difficult to resume watching if you take a break. I think CotS has a lot of fascinating ideas (not to mention solid visuals and a great soundtrack), but I wish the writers had found a way to convey those ideas without such long stretches of expository dialogue. I don't know if this is because they were sticking really close to the source material, but animation has different storytelling needs than print does.

Anyway, I really did like Crest of the Stars. To me it falls in the "frustrating but rewarding" camp.

EDIT: For the record, my favorite over-expository anime space opera is still Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 04:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Two things watched recently: Macross Plus, which is somehow even better than I remembered it being. The 2D mechanical animation is astounding (truly a lost art), the script's smart, and the soundtrack is among the best ever. This is also my first time watching it with decent speakers, and the whole thing is just sonically exquisite.

The other one is my first blind laserdisc purchase: 3x3 Eyes (Streamline release). This is one I'd been curious about for a while but had never seen, and since it's nowhere to be found streaming and long out of print in the US on DVD, I thought it'd be fun to roll the dice on the LD. Now I'll watch anime in Japanese without subs if it's a show or movie I know pretty well, but that's not the case here so I went with English and WOW. Older English dubs are HILARIOUS. And I knew that going in, but I somehow wasn't ready for the amazing combination of miscasting and emotional incongruity on display in 3x3 Eyes. It's like, scene after scene you can just tell by looking what the line delivery was probably like in Japanese without even having heard it, and the dub will have the tone completely wrong and will be trying to write in a joke at the same time.

So combine that with the indulgent twistedness of the show's gore, and that was a pretty entertaining evening of anime! I might get the first Japanese CAV disc to see if the video quality is a substantial improvement over the US CLV. The picture's very dark and desaturated, with so little detail in the shadows that I wonder if Streamline did a poor job of converting the 0 IRE black-level Japanese footage to 7.5. (I did check by messing with my settings, and the intended black level does appear to be 7.5.) The CLV smear was also a lot more noticeable than any other CLV I've watched.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 07:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
rcarlson wrote:
gypsy wrote:

I've never seen either of these shows but screw Star Wars forever, seriously. When it comes to plot, characters, ideology, humor, whatever Star Wars is never above a C+. The FX and the eternal hype train do the rest,

Cardcaptor Sakura is a perfectly fine show if you are a 10 year old girl. I don't know what anyone else is doing with it. Dudes in their 40s watching it doesn't make me comfortable, like office ladies reading Harry Potter as if it were a real book...too many flags there...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 16:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Cardcaptor Sakura is a perfectly fine show if you are a 10 year old girl. I don't know what anyone else is doing with it.
Dudes in their 40s watching it doesn't make me comfortable, like office ladies reading Harry Potter as if it were a real book...too many flags there...

some of us, regardless of age, simply enjoy watching well-animated series about cute girls going about their day,
most especially when there is actual heart and soul put into it, for a change.

it's happy, charming, pleasant and ultimately comforting, all the more so within an especially dark period in life such as the one we are all currently enduring.

not to worry; taking enjoyment in such wholesome innocence is indeed an unpardonable sin to those of us who are getting up there in years,
and somehow managed to miss the memo that is well and high time to grow right the hell up and put our edgy mature pants on already.

indeed, i suspect there is a special circle of hell reserved for us outsize man-children,
so take all due heart, ZETA, for swift and righteous reckoning will inevitably come...

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 16:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
I will say this: compared to Star Wars Episode IX I think that Crest/Banner of the Stars looks like the epitome of storytelling and proper pacing! xD

Big deal, I could eat a whole bowl of alphabet soup and vomit up a better story than the Disney trilogy.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 16:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
Two things watched recently: Macross Plus, which is somehow even better than I remembered it being. The 2D mechanical animation is astounding (truly a lost art), the script's smart, and the soundtrack is among the best ever. This is also my first time watching it with decent speakers, and the whole thing is just sonically exquisite.

Macross Plus is just extraordinary. That Yoko Kanno, sorry, Sharon Apple, soundtrack is just glorious too.

I think Macross Plus is right up there with DYRL as the pinnacle of Macross excellence.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 17:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
like office ladies reading Harry Potter as if it were a real book...too many flags there...

Man, you had me going there for a minute! I could have sworn this was a serious post until you dropped this punchline about the "flags" raised by women with white-collar jobs reading Harry Potter, a series whose cross-demographic appeal is well documented, and which is now old enough that tens of millions of gainfully employed adults who read it as kids or teens may be interested to revisit it with fresh eyes. (To say nothing of people like my grandpa, who was nearing retirement age when he read and fell in love with the books.)

It's almost like correlating what people watch or read in their downtime (i.e. when they've earned a break from activity that is specifically productive to society or self-edifying) to obsessive or dangerous behavior is a bit of a stretch! Otherwise of course we could do the same thing with all those viewers of non-children's Japanese cartoons with their gratuitous, depraved violence and fanservice, which would reflect unfairly poorly on most posters in, you know, an anime subforum.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
rcarlson wrote:

Macross Plus is just extraordinary. That Yoko Kanno, sorry, Sharon Apple, soundtrack is just glorious too.

I think Macross Plus is right up there with DYRL as the pinnacle of Macross excellence.

RARE INDEED are the likes of Anime as thoroughly satisfying as DYRL and PLUS.

indeed, it often seems just this side of impossible to find Anime, -T.V. series especially-
that doesn't somehow manage to get itself "Committeed" to death about 1/3 to 1/2 the way through...

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 17:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Still watching GTO.

I tried watching Night on the Galactic Railroad, really couldn't get into it.
Realized that about 20 minutes had passed and really nothing happened.
I must be getting too old for some or most of this anime.

Watched M.D. Geist part 1 about 2 weeks ago and finished watching part 2, not impressed, remember that I picked up part 1 in a lot
about 16 years ago watched it and didn't care for it then and still didn't spark anything this time around.

Again must be getting too old for anime.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 18:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I see things got wild here lol.

@rcarlson: Welcome to lddb, I see you got to meet Zeta. This is pretty much how he is all the time.

@reino: Well, MD Geist is pretty much s**t. Can't really speak to the other one as I have not seen it. I remember continually passing on it even when on sale.

Macross Plus is definitely exceptional in regards to audio. That makes me want to get the LD eventually (I've got the US DVD). That is definitely a hallmark of the franchise. Overall probably about a 6.5 or a 7 for me. Decent sci-fi.

Now I'm tempted to check the 3x3 Eyes dub. I have the LD but watched it with Japanese audio.

LOGH is a favorite of mine as well. Too bad the BD is $800.

Personally I do not see how CCS is that much better than most anime, it was a solid Magical Girl anime. I learned long ago that people have different reasons to watch and it looks like it is tasuke's personal perfect anime. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'd probably put it third in its genre behind Nanoha and Madoka. However it is very different from those two despite being in the same genre.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 15:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rein-o wrote:
Still watching GTO.

I tried watching Night on the Galactic Railroad, really couldn't get into it.
Realized that about 20 minutes had passed and really nothing happened.
I must be getting too old for some or most of this anime.

Watched M.D. Geist part 1 about 2 weeks ago and finished watching part 2, not impressed, remember that I picked up part 1 in a lot
about 16 years ago watched it and didn't care for it then and still didn't spark anything this time around.

Again must be getting too old for anime.

Onizuka would actually make a fine teacher in real life but parents might be worried.
I don't get the point of Night on the Galactic Railroad. I maybe should see it again but its slow and the ending just feels weird like the whole thing is pointless which it maybe.

Page 52 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 64  Next