It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:16

Page 6 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 20:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

piegoose wrote:
Just curious, those of you who have anime laserdiscs with no subtitles, how do you understand the anime you watch that way?

I watch and listen very carefully, and take note of words or phrases that are used and in what context or situation they're used in. Repeat with many, many other series, and you start noticing patterns. I'm able to get the gist of what's being said that way... unless it's sci-fi technobabble gobbledygook :lol: It also helps that the anime I buy on laserdisc is stuff I love and have watched over and over again subtitled, so it's easy to follow and I know exactly what they're saying even before they say it... It's really good for listening comprehension because you know the story already and you can focus more on the spoken language itself. And no, I've never formally studied Japanese - I've picked up some here and there from watching anime like this, and from listening to J-pop, and from listening to my co-workers' conversations (I work at the US branch of a Japanese company with quite a few Japanese expats)

This is also what I do whenever my parents speak Tagalog in the house, or watch the Filipino Channel with shows that aren't subtitled. I can understand most of their conversations, and it gets hilarious when my dad speaks to me in English and then switches to Tagalog without realizing it, and I can still keep up with the conversation!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 22:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a huge file of synopses & fansub scripts, so that I can "read along". Sometimes I actually go to the trouble of setting up the genlock & live-subtitling what I'm watching.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 15:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

harlock wrote:
Watch out tasuke, next thing you know you will want one of these:

Ghibli is well represented on LD and Princess Mononoke is often cited as an excellent laserdisc release too (PM has an awesome gatefold jacket and is usually pretty cheap too - the Ghibli Ga Ippai LDBOX is still somewhat expensive in the US on the other hand).

Sorry for posting here. Actually I am not that great of an anime fan but I watched Grave of the Fireflies not too long ago and it was the saddest movie of all time !!! Man, that movie
really made me cry. The music is so excellent. Actually I own a Ghibli Soundtrack CD set which has the exact same cover as the Ghibli LD set. Were they released at the same time ?
I mean the whole box looks VERY similar and it also has those small posters in it.
The thing about Grave of the Fireflies is that you actually learn from the very beginning that the protagonists are dead but I did not really realize that until the end of the movie.
I am not a huge anime fan but this one is great and I also liked Only Yesterday which I watched last year ( they are both by the same director ). I also watch the Cowboy Beebop movie
and that is about it. I did not even like Princess Mononoke that much but Grave of the Fireflies is the only movie that made me cry next to The English Patient ( that scene when Ralph Fiennes
is caring his injured girlfriend to the grave is so heartbraking. )

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 17:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just finished MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM on DVD a week back or so, awesome stuff!!

a couple weeks or more before that, i came across the beautiful mid-2000's BANDAI/HONNEAMISE DVD U.S. limited box set
of the first PATLABOR movie, truly the most lavish DVD anime release i've ever seen, for a measly $11 and change shipped.

sadly, while the presentation was positively exquisite, the film itself left something to be desired, IMHO...

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 19:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Those Honneamise Patlabor boxes are nice indeed (and a real bargain). I have the Patlabor 2 one, and I can definitely recommend the second film as the highest grade theatrical anime. P2 was Oshii's work right before Ghost in the Shell, and has a similar style of super realism and high grade animation with a fantastic level of detail (a lost art in the cg age, alas). It does has Oshii's usual dry dialog and philosophizing, if that's not your thing.

Post subject: Re: what anime have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2015, 05:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Patlabor 2 gives me a headache.
Quite literally — the long section of flickering dark/light triggers a migraine or something like it.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 19:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've been quite recently introduced to anime. A friend of mine suggested I should watch Ranma 1/2 almost a year ago. Oh man, what a trip! Kind of sparked the child inside me, and also a bit refreshing to watch something else besides "standard western-world" TV shows. Started searching around, watched a lot of newer comedy anime. Have to admit, a lot of that stuff started to get repetetive and usually include convenient panty-shots, accidental boob-grabs etc... So have started to watch some of the more "classic" stuff. Plowed through Trigun, which I liked a lot. Now I'm currently watching Urusei Yatsura, which is simply just hilarious! Liked it so much that I've imported a few LDs from Japan, as well as the 6 movies released in the US. Don't understand Japanese, so a bit more convenient with the US releases too. I would love to get the TV show box set released in USA as well, but it seems to be a quite rare? The show have a lot of bizarre situations and interesting characters which makes it really fun. Love that a lot of Japanese cultural references are added as well. Have been quite busy with the google searches lately to read up on stuff. Both references and the language it self.

I find anime quite fun and entertaining, and laserdisc is a really cool format. The size and weight gives you the feeling you actually own something. So have kind of decided to start an anime collection on laserdisc as well. Have bought a few Blu-Rays, but it isn't quite as satisfying to have in the shelf compared to LD. The Japanese releases on laserdisc have a lot of nice looking box sets! Have started to write my wish-list already. :)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 23:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Welcome!

It's great that you're starting out as a fan with all the classics! A lot of fans I know have no appreciation for any anime released before 2005... :(

If I remember correctly, I think Urusei Yatsura had a US DVD release back in the day from Animeigo, unless I'm mistaking it for a laserdisc set. Animeigo has been doing Kickstarters for some classic anime recently, so maybe there's a slim chance they'll release some of it on Blu-ray.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 05:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

samaron wrote:
and also a bit refreshing to watch something else besides "standard western-world" TV shows.

Amen!

Animeigo only released the first 38 episodes on LD, and all episodes on 50 DVDs! :o Their license ran out a few years ago :( I'm still holding out hope they will get the rights to release the remaining episodes of Yawara.

While we're rattling off Animeigo stuff, Kimagure Orange Road is another superb classic anime. Those LD box sets are slightly more common than UY.

Anyway, welcome to the fold. If you want classic anime recommendations, the lddb forum members will be happy to overwhelm you.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 08:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Wasn't Yawara canceled because of bad sales of Volume 1?

I'd certainly be interested to back a project like Urusei Yatsura BD from Animeigo on Kickstarter.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 14:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

lons_vex wrote:
Wasn't Yawara canceled because of bad sales of Volume 1?.

It wasn't canceled due to bad sales!!! Geesh! They just couldn't acquire the rights to the remaining episodes... probably because of bad sales. :?

It's a pity, too. They gave it a great release with a great book of liner notes. I learned about my favorite sports curse from those notes: The Curse of the Colonel.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 19:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've been planning to pick up more Ghibli movies on BR when I get the chance. I've seen Kiki, right now I just have The Wind Rises though, which was very enjoyable. I watched it recently, need to watch again.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 19:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Ghibli movies are reasonably priced at Amazon UK, probably the same in the US. Cost around 10 quid per movie (Blu-Ray), which is about 15 bucks. I hoarded half of the movies in one go a couple of months ago, and have currently seen Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle. Great movies!

Regarding Urusei Yatsura: Eventhough only the first 38 episodes were released on LD in the US, I still would like to get my hands on the set. Currently going to get someone help me procure the complete set from japan, which is 50 discs or so! Crazy big box set... The US DVDs also sound like they might be a tad bit expensive now, haven't checked, but would guess they're rare. Probably hard to find all 50 DVDs. Would like to read the manga too, but from what I can tell, it never got released fully in the US. Doesn't look like it is as popular as Ranma 1/2 was.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 21:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

An interesting detail is that The Wind Rises was recorded in mono.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 23:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
An interesting detail is that The Wind Rises was recorded in mono.

Another interesting detail: The japanese voice actor of the main protagonist is none other than Hideaki Anno!!!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 00:13 
True fan
True fan

harlock wrote:
Watch out tasuke, next thing you know you will want one of these:

Ghibli is well represented on LD and Princess Mononoke is often cited as an excellent laserdisc release too (PM has an awesome gatefold jacket and is usually pretty cheap too - the Ghibli Ga Ippai LDBOX is still somewhat expensive in the US on the other hand).

Is the Ghibli box the only way to get My Neighbor Totoro on ld with any kind of English subtitles or track? I have zero problem with subtitles, but I don't know Japanese. I imagine I'd be better off buying a DVD/bluray.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 19:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

No, Totoro was released on US LD, dubbed & butchered, but released.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 22:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

publius wrote:
No, Totoro was released on US LD, dubbed & butchered, but released.

Butchered? I know it was dubbed, but I wasn't aware that anything was cut or changed... unless you're talking about the Pan&Scan aspect ratio on the US LD and Fox's R1 DVD. That was tragic! :(

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 11:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Started warching Neon Genesis Evangelion now after a co-worker recommended it. Seems quite promising! Did this series have any box set releases on laserdisc?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 13:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh yes. There were three box sets of the series released in Japan (and two volumes reached the US as well, containing the first eight episodes). Most notable however is the movie set, which contains both feature films and lots of extras in a huuuge box set.
http://www.pustan.com/ld/japan/evabox.html

Haven't watched any anime series in a while but I'll get the Maison Ikkoku box set on Laserdisc tomorrow along with some other stuff. Is it worth a watch?

Page 6 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 64  Next