It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:29

Page 48 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 16:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

xtempo wrote:
wondering if my copy is bad there is one scene where the dialog and the mouth doesn't make like the mouth is completely closed while the audio is completely normal. like a skip but everything seems normal.

I'm sure its normal, usually more on English audio than Japanese but doesn't shock me at all.

Check your display on your remote, it shows more time on screen so you can see if the numbers don't run in sequence or skip.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 16:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I disagree. If anything, accuracy of English lip syncing is usually better than the Japanese original. With Ponyo it should be pretty good on both.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 21:53 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I looked at it again on my ps3 since I thought it might be the Pioneer but it is the way its animated there isn't anything wrong with it just my perception.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 22:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Btw, I neglected to mention back there that the only defective JP I’ve ever owned is Ariel 2 so it’s funny that Tasuke has an equally uncommon issue with the same title.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 01:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I usually don't watch the English dubs, rather just watch raw than with dubs.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 02:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I always watch raw now, unless it’s particularly wordy. I’ve decided if I can’t grasp the gist with my minute Japanese skills then I just don’t care.

Last edited by signofzeta on 14 Nov 2020, 19:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 06:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cleopatra got it on BD since I could never find a sub file for the Laserdisc. its kinda weird.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 14:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

xtempo wrote:
cleopatra got it on BD since I could never find a sub file for the Laserdisc. its kinda weird.

I had the LD box set, I think this is the best one of the 3, 1001 nights, sadness of belladonna.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 15:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

the beginning was like watching a meme but before there were memes. Its kinda jarring to have anime heads and real people's bodies. i kinda wish it was like Twilight of the Cockroaches where anime and live action together but more separate.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 16:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s a weird movie. Is also, like a lot of Tezuka stuff, not that good...or, more weird than good, I’ll put it that way. I’ll treasure it always, another disc I got from Rein-O, IIRC.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 21:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
the beginning was like watching a meme but before there were memes. Its kinda jarring to have anime heads and real people's bodies. i kinda wish it was like Twilight of the Cockroaches where anime and live action together but more separate.

Isn't that just the bookend segments and the rest of it is traditionally animated?

It was a particularly strange viewing experience for me since there's also an Asterix movie about Cleopatra so the two end up meshing together in my head in weird ways, mostly due to all the characters looking weirdly cartoonish except Julius Caesar who has the same "carved from marble" features in both. Except I'm pretty sure he wasn't green in the Asterix one. It made him look like the bad guy in Space Battleship Yamato 2.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 22:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

takeshi666 wrote:
xtempo wrote:

Isn't that just the bookend segments and the rest of it is traditionally animated?

It was a particularly strange viewing experience for me since there's also an Asterix movie about Cleopatra so the two end up meshing together in my head in weird ways, mostly due to all the characters looking weirdly cartoonish except Julius Caesar who has the same "carved from marble" features in both. Except I'm pretty sure he wasn't green in the Asterix one. It made him look like the bad guy in Space Battleship Yamato 2.

Yeah. I might have the Asterix book. if not I need to get that and the laserdiscs or dvd or something. Isn't the way Ceaser is because he was described like that or something in a historical document. Or it could just be a gag.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 00:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
Yeah. I might have the Asterix book. if not I need to get that and the laserdiscs or dvd or something. Isn't the way Ceaser is because he was described like that or something in a historical document. Or it could just be a gag.

Asterix movies seem to be a bit sporadic on laserdisc; I recall from the last time I checked, you CAN get all of them on laserdisc, but some of them are very rare and none of them seem to be in the same language; Twelve Tasks is only available as an Italian dubbed release for example. Better off picking up the French DVD or blu-ray box sets.

Also there are actual contemporary busts of him so in both instances it does seem like they exaggerated his features the same way.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 00:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think in more recent years I've been turned away from Tezuka stuff, I know how historically important Tezuka is for animation and manga but the films
and series are just too drawn out sometimes and just not serious enough sometimes, always has the cutesy thing going in where
it really shouldn't be.

I do feel that Cleopatra and Firebird are in the tops of Tezuka films for me.

Yes I think I sold you Cleopatra.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 06:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

haven't much of his other works except for Black Jack and read some (now the Manga is OOP :sad:) which I really liked. I don't really know about him completely. I know he's important but that's the only thing I don't have much of an opinion.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 08:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I get a lot more out of Tezuka’s manga than the anime. Buddha is probably my vote for best manga ever. There are some anime films of it, I couldn’t care less.

Astro Boy is another one. I love the manga, but the anime...not that great. Not the b/w, the 80s one or the one from 2003 or whenever it was.

Jungle Emperor is one of the better Tezuka anime I can think of, I guess. The Unico movies are great but he didn’t really do much on them except create the manga they were based on.

I like Legend of the Forest a lot, and most of his money losing experimental stuff like that.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2020, 03:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Watching a DVD of Twilight of the Dark Master.
Interesting so far, about half way through.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2020, 11:23 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

^
always wanted to see that but never got it. I guess the price is high for it now?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 02:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Mind I have scantly watched even half of the massive collection of anime DVDs I own as yet, but the only actual defective DVDs I've thus far encountered have been two volumes of the Sakura Wars (TV series) from ADV and a volume of Crest of the Stars from Bandai Entertainment. And all three of those were titles I bought a solid ten or more years back.

With the Crest of the Stars DVD, it absolutely looked like the label printing machine made physical contact with the DVD during production and the letter "C" of the title was physically pressed into the DVD, crazy!
One of the two defective Sakura Wars DVDs had a very odd look to it when viewed in good lighting. And the other defective Sakura Wars DVD, if my memory is correct, looked completely fine. Bandai Entertainment acknowledged openly there was always a chance of a manufacturing defect and had a form you could print off from their website to mail-in with any defective DVD you'd purchased to get a replacement. ADV Was far less open to acknowledging potential for existence of defective discs, but at that time after I bought those Sakura Wars DVDs I ended up finding lots of mentions on forums from other people who had purchased the same two volumes and theirs were also defective copies. Those have thankfully been my only defective DVDs thus far.

Blu-Ray is a completely different animal. One of the initial two Blu-Ray titles I bought was defective, and didn't get around to watching it until it was outside of the return policy because the first Blu-Ray player I bought was itself defective. But yeah, the Blu-Ray, it was a live action movie, can't recall the title at moment, but I remember the disc looked completely fine but it absolutely froze up at like 52 minutes in or something and there were either 3 or 4 consecutive chapters from that moment forward that neither my player nor a friend's player could access. Wanting to say the movie was "2012" (a disaster movie). Blu-Ray is still not a format I'm keen on after all these years due to all my bad experiences with the format early in. I went through five players in less than two years, they just kept failing.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 22:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finished Cobra. The last arc took it up from a 7 to an 8 for me. Overall enjoyable.

Watching the KoR OAVs then movie, almost done with the OAVs which are basically just additional episodes of whacky 80s fun.

And then there is...Hanasakeru Seishounen which I started recently. It's absolutely insane and I love it.

Page 48 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 64  Next