It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:42

Page 43 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 15:49 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

HaibaneRenmie

looks good but I guess the PS3 has a good scaler but then my TV isn't large or one of the better ones. So it just looks as good as the last time I watched it.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 17:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
HaibaneRenmie

looks good but I guess the PS3 has a good scaler but then my TV isn't large or one of the better ones. So it just looks as good as the last time I watched it.

The PS3 is a very reasonable DVD player.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 18:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I watched “Weathering with you” the other day. I liked the director’s previous film “Your name” more. I think this one was a notch less but I think visually it is improved from “Your name” which was already stellar.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 19:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That is on my watch pile. I think the same team did Garden of Words? That was a wonderful film. Also, there is one on Netflix at the minute called Flavours of Youth. Not by the same people, but a superb trilogy of stories contained in one film. Well worth your time.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 20:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I watched Modest Heroes, three shorts from Ponoc on Hulu...or maybe Netflix, I don’t know. It was exceptional and also used some interesting techniques rarely seen today. It makes me optimistic for future anime.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 02:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Your Name is excellent.

signofzeta wrote:
I watched Modest Heroes, three shorts from Ponoc on Hulu...or maybe Netflix, I don’t know. It was exceptional and also used some interesting techniques rarely seen today. It makes me optimistic for future anime.

This looks delightful, I'll have to try it.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 15:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

guess ZETA must be quite right about me, as i had found "Your Name" to be singularly dull and unengaging...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 16:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve never seen it.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 16:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke wrote:
guess ZETA must be quite right about me, as i had found "Your Name" to be singularly dull and unengaging...

While I was able to watch it and enjoy it more than the Red Turtle both just are so so for me.

Great anime and style but the stories are just lacking and really need to be shorts.

I can only compare it to something like a Twilight Zone episode, they are fine for 25-30 minutes but 90 minutes or longer are too much.
But this is where good stories and good directors come into play, can't have one without the other, or you can have a great story with
a poor director and cast but it will still be interesting as the story is what holds interest.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 17:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A Boy in the World (Brazil 2013) is animation i found to be utterly compelling from beginning to end. With no stupid American Otaku to satisfy it could just be what it what it was supposed to be. It has a point and style and drama and all that stuff that is hard to work into anime because anime at this point, commercially speaking, is made for gaijin to wank to.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It could have been a bit shorter but I found it good through out. It's my kind of s**t though, admittedly. Everyone has things they like more. For example I thought Cyber City Oedo was one of those things that is okay to watch once but ultimately to me it was a fairly generic assassin anime with nothing to say but the visual style was neat. For me it was the epitome of 6/10. Contrast to tasuke and it's one of his personal favorites because people are watching things for different reasons.

This is a list of things that are kinda recent that I rather enjoyed. I sent it to zeta awhile back and have some additions. It kind of summarizes my tastes. Keep in mind this is only stuff from this century and only favorites. There is a lot more I watched and enjoyed than these.

Shows
Ancient Death Magus Bride
Kakushigoto
Kaguya-sama: Love Is War
March Comes In Like A Lion
Chihayafuru
Yurikuma Arashi
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Vinland Saga
Made in Abyss
Akagi The Genius Who Descended into Darkness
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Ergo Proxy

Movies
Your Name
A Silent Voice
Wolf Children
Weathering With You

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 17:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
A Boy in the World (Brazil 2013) is animation i found to be utterly compelling from beginning to end. With no stupid American Otaku to satisfy it could just be what it what it was supposed to be. It has a point and style and drama and all that stuff that is hard to work into anime because anime at this point, commercially speaking, is made for gaijin to wank to.

Added to my list.

I agree with this generally. Ergo Proxy wouldn't be the same if made now hell it might not even have been made. Unfortunately often times to find gems you have to look through or past the b******t. Yurikuma Arashi is a prime example.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 01:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:

While its engaging I found it utterly pointless much like the Red Turtle but I found others more enjoyable like my life as a zucchini as one example.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 01:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s beyond my imagination to find this movie, A Boy in the World, pointless. I’d say the point of it is the main struggle of our time. “Why the hell am I working for someone else’s benefit? Why is our very society working for the benefit of those that live essentially outside of it?” This movie moved me to tears and more than once afterwards just pondering its nature. Seeing the cyclical exploitation machine stripped down like that. It’s almost as eye opening as it is depressing. Regardless I found it empowering just to see people working on such issues. We’ll kick The Man’s a** out of here eventually.

Now Tree of Life on the other hand...I didn’t get it. At all. I’m not sure if it’s above my level or the other way around. I saw nothing I liked other than some visual FX that weren’t really that impressive compared to other movies.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 02:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

BTW I’m looking for mahjong anime. Nothing with lasers and idols or whatever. Gangster stuff. I want everyone in the show to be a loser.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 03:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
BTW I’m looking for mahjong anime. Nothing with lasers and idols or whatever. Gangster stuff. I want everyone in the show to be a loser.

Akagi is a mahjong anime. It is pretty over the top and the art style isn't for everyone but it certainly has a style, not homogeneous crap. It was never released in the US (guessing not profitable enough) but it should still be possible to find fansubs for it. I looked and I don't have the files anymore. I'm not too surprised. I'm generally good about backing stuff up some many years back I did lose a lot of stuff that could not be recovered when I had some stuff die on me.

Edit: Looks like it was streamed at some point on crunchyroll 8 years after it came out originally. So maybe there are somewhat official subs now. Maybe it's still on there I will never give them a dime so idk but it makes me more hopeful that it can be watched by more people.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 05:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finally started watching Great Mazinger again after an extended break. I just realized I haven't watched oldschool super robot stuff in a while so going back to this sort of monster of the week stuff feels kind of strange.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 08:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Akagi is a mahjong anime. It is pretty over the top and the art style isn't for everyone but it certainly has a style, not homogeneous crap. It was never released in the US (guessing not profitable enough) but it should still be possible to find fansubs for it. I looked and I don't have the files anymore. I'm not too surprised. I'm generally good about backing stuff up some many years back I did lose a lot of stuff that could not be recovered when I had some stuff die on me.

Edit: Looks like it was streamed at some point on crunchyroll 8 years after it came out originally. So maybe there are somewhat official subs now. Maybe it's still on there I will never give them a dime so idk but it makes me more hopeful that it can be watched by more people.

Akagi is awesome. There is also a three seasons live-action japanese TV series of the franchise.
The first season was quite boring and it took me a long time to get through it, only to be rewarded with a really awesome second season.
Another good mahjong anime is "Gambler Densetsu Tetsuya" which plays after the end of the second world war. If you are into moe and like
little girls playing mahjong (which I think you do not) then "Saki" might be interesting. There is also this funny OVA called "Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku:
The Legend of Koizumi" which has some mahjong action. Overall though, Akagi is the best thing, followed by Tetsuya.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 17:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just looked it up and Akagi is apparently a spin-off from Ten? I know Ten very well but they only animated the spinoff, that’s strange. I’ll check it out for shire. Ten is terrific.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2020, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Boy and the World might be my favorite movie of the last ten years.

Page 43 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 64  Next