It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:09

Page 32 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 18:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Remember when even the most basic DVD player would still have nearly all the key controls on the front panel?
Wish they kept doing that.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 22:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is there an LD capture of Adieu Galaxy Express on youtube? I was looking to direct compare the image loss vs the BD but couldn't find one.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 23:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I just did a search and didn't see anything, I guess this may have to be one of those things I should do one day to show, or maybe take pictures
to show the difference.

OK Give me a few days, I may do it after Christmas and before new year on this topic.

Last edited by rein-o on 24 Dec 2019, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 23:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
Remember when even the most basic DVD player would still have nearly all the key controls on the front panel?
Wish they kept doing that.

I have (had?) a very mediocre player from RCA that excels at this. There was even a way to skip unskipable content by hitting Stop and going to the player menu and back again.

Sadly the video from it sucks and it doesn’t have component video.

DVD is a pretty crap format IMO but the newer players with automatic scaling and HDMI really do improve the video a TON.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 00:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I just did a search and didn't see anything, I guess this may have to be one of those things I should do one day to show, or maybe take pictures
to show the difference.

Yeah even just some pictures would be nice. I could get to that exact spot on the BD and compare.

signofzeta wrote:
DVD is a pretty crap format IMO but the newer players with automatic scaling and HDMI really do improve the video a TON.

This is very much true. I think it's true of most formats really, player quality matters. Watching a DVD on a s****y old player that tops out at SVideo and was sold for like $25 at Walfart is a lot different than watching a DVD on a nice player that was designed to optimize DVD playback and has HDMI out.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 09:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

depends on your ecosystem. Sony DVP-S7700 RGB video out to DVDO and then analogue out to HD CRT is very acceptable.

Yeah I had a Marvel chip player, Pioneer unit and it did good upscaling through HDMI but I think I prefer my 7700 now.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 00:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

substance wrote:
How is the Fruits Basket for a casual anime watcher? Is it a chick flick?

It's a sad little cry yourself to tears story that will make you want to kill puppies when it ends because it fails to end. I gifted the DVD box set to my, then teenage, niece after watching it and she's hated me ever since.

rein-o wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Kind of curious now about the image loss though, I never did see it on LD.

Its basically zoomed in from the 4.3 like an open matte on a 16x9 TV, you really lose the top and bottom.
While its not bad you do notice it once you have seen it.

In another note, the Harlock Arcadia film on the later LD release is actually cropped in widescreen and the first DVD issue
is a very poor image but open matte 3.4

Funimation's "orange box" season sets of Dragon Ball Z, and every DBZ release of theirs since, are a myriad hideous blend of forced widescreen and cropped to widescreen aspect transfers making all of the characters look horribly obese 90% of the time.

rein-o wrote:
That's another thing that really gets me, why are they releasing all of these SDBD's why not just release it on DVD its cheaper and the same thing.

Just cheap and I'm pulling a laserbite in a way, boycott SDBD.
I just won't do it, there are lots of anime series that I've been waiting to see but I just won't do the SDBD route, really won't do the BD route either,
but really, really, really won't do the SDBD.

I do not like this trend either for the record. Have no means by which to play Blu-Rays on the go, and there are not many options even available to let me do that, and what does exist for options are crazy expensive. Already this season I've purchased three title releases that aren't even available in other format options in English, and they dumped them straight into the market as SD BR/BD releases. And already said titles are OOP, because who really cares about buying Blu-Ray titles knowing they're just DVD quality SD releases? My big beef is if one of these bazillion episodes on a single SD BD discs gets a scratch (cringe) will I lose access to an entire episode? DVD gets a scratch and if you're unlucky the show may freeze at a specific point, but you can chapter skip and then rewind more often than not if that happens and you're to lazy or incapable to polish out the scratch. So yeah, I have bought to date just three SD BD releases, and am still disgusted there wasn't a DVD option provided by the publisher.

As for the cost of producing Blu-Rays, I'd like to point out that unlike with DVD, Sony is the patent owner of Blu-Ray Discs and as such they charge a licensing fee to every publisher for every title they publish to the format I do not know what that current fee and fee structure is, but I do know back in 2009 that it was royalty based on a per disc produced basis at, if my memory is correct, twenty-five cents per disc. At that same period in time there was, nor is there still, any royalty fee on DVD, as the format is open by agreement of the DVD consortium, with total cost to manufacture (with minimum 1,000 quantity order), a DVD title (case, case wrap/label sheet, single sheet insert, professionally mastered color graphic labeled disc, and shrink wrap) was somewhere in the eighty-cent range.

So the argument that Blu-Ray is cheaper to produce, I seriously doubt there is much, if any, difference at this time in the price to produce a title on one format versus the other format. This is all about these publishers pinching pennies at this point to "save a nickel", literally no figuratively. The Blu-Ray keep cases themselves are physically smaller and hopelessly flimsy, so you figure there is probably about a one to two ounce weight difference between a single disc SD BD release and the same title in a standard size-format DVD keep case with three DVDs. This equates to potential savings in freight and shipping, provided they're freight shipping with a company that goes by weight instead of by pallet or by square foot. And even then, you can obviously fit more Blu-Ray cases on a pallet than DVD cases. But this is purely penny pinching for their own sake, not for the sake of the consumers who will ultimately buy their products. And quite frankly, I still would much rather have the DVDs than SD Blu-Rays. Now if the Blu-Rays were actual HD transfers, that would give me something to have to consider, but we're talking about pointless SD Blu-Rays.

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

This is very much true. I think it's true of most formats really, player quality matters. Watching a DVD on a s****y old player that tops out at SVideo and was sold for like $25 at Walfart is a lot different than watching a DVD on a nice player that was designed to optimize DVD playback and has HDMI out.

And on this note, there are some super crappy stand-a-lone DVD players out there, anything Apex, pretty much anything RCA, and so on. The first DVD player my parents bought was a RCA, from Wal-Mart, back in like 1999, and it was junk. Then we had a Apex, and it too was junk. Then we got a Phillips, which wasn't great, but was a vast improvement over the previous two players and was at least reliable and even was still functional when we finally moved on to a actual nice player. But during that time I also had my own personal DVD player experiences, with my first DVD player being the Xbox game system with the DVD Playback adaptor they forced you to buy in order to unlock DVD playback, wasn't a bad player, but was terribly basic. The very next year I got a DVD-ROM drive that came bundled with a very early version of Cyberlink PowerDVD and installed it into my Windows 98 desktop PC, and man that was incredible!

So from 2003 onward to the present I have done the bulk of my DVD viewing on my PCs, and have no complaints with the video or sound quality outside of the rare crappy transfers, and instances of matted forced widescreen titles from the early years of the format.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 01:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tweeg wrote:
Sony is the patent owner of Blu-Ray Discs and as such they charge a licensing fee to every publisher for every title they publish to the format

IIRC, Sony can only charge royalty fee if it is marketed as a Blu-Ray, much like the CDDA logo could only be on albums which met the red book requirments (thus several CDs with copy protection in the early 00s are technically speaking not regular CDs). Therefore, Disney with their "Disney Blu-Ray" seem to get around the royalties as it's not marketed as a traditional Blu-Ray.

And same thing can almost be said about HDMI. Any manufacturer is free to use the port without paying any royalty. Instead, the licensing fee will only be charged if the product has the HDMI logo on the box or the unit itself. Micomsoft added both HDMI inputs and outputs to their XRGB-Mini with HDCP compilance, but essentially didn't use the logo anywhere and therefore got around the licenses all together.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 01:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For whatever reason I've never enjoyed watching things on my pc.

I would agree that it is disappointing that these companies aren't offering DVD releases as well. I'd still buy the SDBD but it sounds like there are lots of people that want DVD instead.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 03:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

And, of course, DiscoVision Associates still gets a royalty fee for ALL optical discs and players made regardless of format, thanks to our very own Laserdisc format pioneering everything about this method of information storage.

It's always amusing to see that ancient name live on, even if reduced to name only for managing it's valuable IP portfolio:
http://www.discovision.com/DVA/Licensing

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 03:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can only speak for the SD BRs that I have but stuff I’m buying on SD Blu-ray is soooooooo cheap that nobody has any reason to complain about the quality of anything, especially the case and how easy it is to scratch (well then don’t scratch it...). At a penny per episode I take what I can get. I will gladly pay $100 per disc for Japanese stuff and I expect (and receive) high quality everything for those releases. These Discotek things have terrific AV quality and cost like 1/50 or 1/100 the cost of the Japanese stuff. As long as they aren’t burns I’ll keep buying them. Japanese releases will always be the focus of my collection since...that’s where anime comes from, or used to anyway. Anime in English is like Mozart in Klingon, regardless of the quality it’s a derivative and not The Thing. I used to care about Manga Man and asbestos suits but I just don’t anymore.

I too wish I could buy a cool portable Blu-ray player. The lack of one from Sony in a sort of jambox thing is puzzling. I’d buy something like that in a second. There are crappy Chinesium ghetto blasters with CD/DVD decks and digital TVs and Sony still makes four times as many things as they need...but I can’t find a Stereo Blu-Wachman anywhere, am I missing it?

What people do though is just rip their BRs, all of them, store them on a server and copy them to the phone or laptop when needed. To me, it’s a PITA, but if you make it a habit it’s about as much of a hassle as grabbing discs before you fly and returning them without scratches. Personally, until a solar flair wipes out our wireless I’ll just use Netflix when I’m on the go. It makes the home theater even more special.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 14:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
The problem with old high end DVD players is that they suck now.

Well, so does LD, VHS and BETA. Your Point?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 15:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Aren't there external upscalers you could theoretically hook up to those old DVD players to get a decent picture out of them anyway?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 16:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my 2011 46" BEST BUY "INSIGNIA" (SANYO OEM) LCD has a fantastic built-in upscaler
that does wonderfully with all my SD A/V sources.

i pray i can find an external upscaler as good or better, come the inevitable day when the INSIGNIA finally gives out...

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 17:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Aren't there external upscalers you could theoretically hook up to those old DVD players to get a decent picture out of them anyway?

I think one would be better to buy a newer DVD than mess with upscalers due to the digital processing.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 17:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I think one would be better to buy a newer DVD than mess with upscalers due to the digital processing.

There is no quality scaler that could improve the image at the same price as a new DVD player. It also couldn’t do the job as well anyway because all the problems with DVD are at the point of signal generation in the player.

With DVD the video doesn’t come from the disc, it comes from a chip or series of chips in the player that build the video from info on the disc. There isn’t actually enough data on a DVD to fill in every pixel on every frame of the movie. The player has to fill in the holes. Once a player from 1997 has been allowed the render the image it’s hugely compromised. A PS3 can take the same crappy disc and paint a way nicer picture with it. This is honestly at least half the reason DVD improved so much over the years.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 18:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
The problem with old high end DVD players is that they suck now.

Well, so does LD, VHS and BETA. Your Point?

I think you have missed Zeta's point. The sucking is relative. Old high end DVD players suck now because far superior DVD players are being made, including BD players which all have DVD playback. With dead formats like what you mentioned, the old high end players are still the best thing you can get because there aren't new, better options being made. So an X0 is still your best LD option, whereas a previously top tier DVD player from the 90s/early 00s is bested by some high percentage of DVD players made in the last 10 years.

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

There is no quality scaler that could improve the image at the same price as a new DVD player. It also couldn’t do the job as well anyway because all the problems with DVD are at the point of signal generation in the player.

With DVD the video doesn’t come from the disc, it comes from a chip or series of chips in the player that build the video from info on the disc. There isn’t actually enough data on a DVD to fill in every pixel on every frame of the movie. The player has to fill in the holes. Once a player from 1997 has been allowed the render the image it’s hugely compromised. A PS3 can take the same crappy disc and paint a way nicer picture with it. This is honestly at least half the reason DVD improved so much over the years.

Pretty much. I have a lot of separate scalers/processors and the main thing they give you is total and perfect setting control that is easy to access and use. Then there are some I have for very specific tasks like rotating the picture.

The PS3 is a really underrated DVD player. If it was region free it would almost be perfect. Especially considering the price point PS3s have fallen to and it also plays PS1/3 games.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 04:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

PS3 also has a bluetooth remote, no need for pointing :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 04:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Some of Sony's newest BD players they started pumping out 4th quarter of 2018 no longer feature DVD playback, which is crazy. When I worked at Best Buy we were getting a lot of them returned because people thought they were defective since their DVDs wouldn't play on them.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 04:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tweeg wrote:
Some of Sony's newest BD players they started pumping out 4th quarter of 2018 no longer feature DVD playback, which is crazy. When I worked at Best Buy we were getting a lot of them returned because people thought they were defective since their DVDs wouldn't play on them.

That's...very idiotic of Sony and also good to know.

Page 32 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 64  Next