It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:05

Page 4 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 09:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

publius wrote:
I'm glad to hear that the set really is better.
I have a couple of B-Club Kenichi Sonoda artbooks, B-Jon (pun on "vision" & "bijou" beautful girl) & Gallant (as in the Fighting Gallant Girls of Gall Force). I'm a fan of his work, & I hope I can find a copy of his "Visualist" LD as well.

Yeah, you're going to want this then. :) The look of these disks is "late 90s digital master". They look like Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) (1997) [TKLA-50300] in that the color is mainly bumped up, which sometimes brings some issues, but overall its an improvement.

Its funny, when this series was still running, I liked it, but I wasn't totally in love with it. Now that that era has long gone, BGC might not be my favorite series, but it kind of personifies everything that's gone for good about 80s anime. Masami Obari wasn't just the perverted creator of Gowkaizer, he was an amazing director in general, and only somewhat recently coming down from the high of directing the best episode of The Transformers ever (Call of the Primitives) and making his mark with Machine Robo. Kow Yokoyama guest designs a wicked as hell boomermobile. Special talent lurks everywhere. Shinji Aramaki, Satoshi Urushihara, etc.

Priss...might just be one of my favorite anime characters ever. She has this gravely voice and she talks rude, like a man. ざけんなよ! and "オラオラ” and stuff like that. The anti-Minmei

And every episode things are new. There is ZERO filler. Each episode people get new clothes, new gear, new bad guys.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 20:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yeah, you're going to want this then. :) The look of these disks is "late 90s digital master". They look like Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) (1997) [TKLA-50300] in that the color is mainly bumped up, which sometimes brings some issues, but overall its an improvement.

And I do love those late masters, even if they do sometimes stretch the capacity of NTSC chroma encoding. Some of them were actually downconverts from HD masters, made in some cases (I know Mononoke is one) with an eye toward an anticipated Hi-Vision LD release. I cherish the thought that somewhere out there, someone has a MUSE test pressing of Nausicaa, & watched it every week all those years that the rest of us were waiting for the Blu-Ray!

signofzeta wrote:
Priss...might just be one of my favorite anime characters ever. She has this gravely voice and she talks rude, like a man. ざけんなよ! and "オラオラ” and stuff like that. The anti-Minmei

It's really too bad Ohmori Kinuko stopped doing anime.
Orikasa Ai's Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo has something of the same appeal — I confess to a fondness for voice actresses who ar more contralto than the typical squeakers. But my favourite has to be Kawamura Maria, & especially her Jung-Freud from Gunbuster.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 20:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
publius wrote:
Its funny, when this series was still running, I liked it, but I wasn't totally in love with it. Now that that era has long gone, BGC might not be my favorite series, but it kind of personifies everything that's gone for good about 80s anime... Special talent lurks everywhere. Shinji Aramaki, Satoshi Urushihara, etc.

for some reason, i was just totally tickled pink over Urushibara's chara design in BGC ep.7. everything about them just rubbed me just the right way.

i mean, i really love Sonoda's original designs, but Urushibara has got to be among my tippity-top favorite 80's Anime character designers ever.

i admit, the fellow has some issues that persist all the way to present works today, predominant amongst those
the silly feet designs he seems so rigidly stuck upon, but if the fellow could just fix that little detail after 25+ years,
well, i think his work would just plain be golden, YMMV...

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 23:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Not that this matters anymore, but he might be the best cel painter ever.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 05:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Urushihara is definitely a brilliant illustrator. I cherish my copy of Plastic Little for that reason (the music is pretty decent, too). Hirano Toshihiro is right in the same league, though, which is 80% of why I want a copy of Dangaioh. You will also notice his hand in the Night of Summerside title sequences for Kimagure Orange Road.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2013, 01:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

- and the BGC soundtrack is is solid platinum, all 8vols. through, IMHO...

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2013, 18:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
- and the BGC soundtrack is is solid platinum, all 8vols. through, IMHO...

There are way more than 8 volumes if you include the Image, Vocal, Best, the singles, etc. I think there are probably close to 20.

Despite the rampant plagiarism in BGC music I still love it. :)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2013, 22:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah, i meant the soundtracks for each of the initial 8 OVA vols. specifically.

is there any exclusive material in those Vocal/Best/Single releases that are not already in the eight initial soundtrack discs?
the material from the the three BGC CRASH OVAs are quite excellent IMO too.

it all sounds absolutely smashing through this golden oldie of a CD player;

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 01:02 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I would like a closer picture of your posters I think I recognize all of them but its hard to tell. nice cd player

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 01:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
yeah, i meant the soundtracks for each of the initial 8 OVA vols. specifically.

is there any exclusive material in those Vocal/Best/Single releases that are not already in the eight initial soundtrack discs?
the material from the the three BGC CRASH OVAs are quite excellent IMO too.

it all sounds absolutely smashing through this golden oldie of a CD player;

That's a nice friggn player.

And yeah, there is original stuff on the other BGC collections. The "Vocal" one in particular stands out in my mind. If you have the Hurricane Live videos you can see them sing at least one song that was never in an episode, that was from a Vocal CD. Is any of it *good*? Well, maybe. :)

I don't have them all, I think I may have known someone who did once, but I know there is more music that what they fit onto the CDs.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 18:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ah, you mean "GO-GO, WE'RE THE SABERS" and "MIRACLE GIRLS" (if those are the right names at all)

yeah, those are alright. indeed, i'd love to have all 20 or so existing BGC albums, save for anything from BGC 2040, which i dislike in no uncertain terms.

currently, i have TOP QUALITY MP3s of all 8 OVA albums and the three BG CRASH entries,
and a personal BEST OF compilation 2-disc set i've made from material from them all.

once, i had the opportunity (and nearly took avail of it) to obtain a set of all 8 OVA OSTs for like $250shipped. wish i would have.

still, the MP3s i have sound very good to my ears,
indeed, good enough to make me wonder what exactly might be there that i might be sonically missing, if anything at all...

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 21:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The stereo separation on Black Magic M-66 is really strong. If you want to give your surround processor a workout, I bet it would work!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 21:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Garaga is an incoherent mess on the order of Battle Royal High School. Everybody is backstabbing everybody else. I don't know if it has anything to do with the arcade game of approximately the same name.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 01:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

publius wrote:
Garaga is an incoherent mess on the order of Battle Royal High School. Everybody is backstabbing everybody else. I don't know if it has anything to do with the arcade game of approximately the same name.

probably. VG Fighters usually don't translate to Anime terribly well, nor do they often make for terribly exciting Live Action cinema... (STREET FIGHTER; THE MOVIE, MORTAL KOMBAT, etc.)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 06:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Episode 5 of Nuku-Nuku.

Kyoko's rocket-propelled catnip-flavored smoke-grenades are kind of unsettling.

Scene : Mishima Heavy Industries Development Labs "Hey, Pops, I need to hot-box some cats!"
"You what?"
"And if you can make the stuff suitable for standard chemical-warfare dispersal mechanisms, that would be great!"
"Right…"

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 17:58 
I just got a copy of the Bubblegum Crisis: Complete Collection box myself (it arrived yesterday from surugaya: as usual, they delivered the goods mint for pretty much the cost of shipping, with this set a steal at 2000 Yen :) ) and it really is a nice set. Its great to finally have the best transfer of the show on LD: viewing the Animeigo version did get pretty funky from the aforementioned video issues, with the usual 3M crosstalk not helping things either.

I agree that this is an amazing piece of high quality anime the likes of which is not to be seen again. The old school aesthetics and high grade animation are great: I have been watching a 720p subbed rip of the Blu-ray edition these past few days, and BGC is just packed with sequences that put a smile on my face from the sheer amount of awesome. BGC was another piece which showed the possibilities of anime when given a fertile environment with tons of production money (bubble era, appropriately enough), imagination, and no pandering to narrow otaku subsets of the market (e.g. Moe epidemic).

Watching BGC, you can really understand how old school anime fans worshiped this show: from a dedicated newsgroup, to scores of web pages and fanfics, BGC really inspired a level of interest and dedication lost in the modern mainstream anime scene, with so many disposable properties around now and the completely changed fan scene.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 04:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i'm still trying to finish my 3rd box of Galaxy express 999 the TV series.
only 9 more episodes to go, been trying to finish this series for the past 3 years :oops:
i hope to get it done by the end of the month.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 15:25 
rein-o wrote:
only 9 more episodes to go, been trying to finish this series for the past 3 years :oops:

How is this show, by the way? I've been tempted to grab this off of yahoo auctions, but I'm not sure if it's "classic, good", or "classic, old".

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 18:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

nickgoracke wrote:
rein-o wrote:

How is this show, by the way? I've been tempted to grab this off of yahoo auctions, but I'm not sure if it's "classic, good", or "classic, old".

You can watch this show on Crunchyroll.com if you want to sample it. They have the whole thing subbed there. IMO its one of the best shows of all time. Extremely otherworldly and thought provoking.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 05:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i like it, it's more of a soap opera to me than cartoon, just how tetsuo has to react to actions in situations.
very good, also if you can't stand the length get the movies, pretty much the same but only 2hrs not 113 episodes.

after this i have 3 or 4 different anime series that i have to watch, don't know which yet.

Page 4 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 64  Next