It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:13

Page 62 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2022, 17:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This doesn’t surprise me. ZZ is loaded with underaged girls, occasionally nude even so…there you go. F91’s animation is amazing, way better than CCA, designs are all great too, but sadly it’s pretty lame otherwise whereas CCA has the Gundam magic.

I haven’t seen the movie version of Unicorn but I can believe you. There wasn’t a lot of fluff to cut from the OVA and what fluff there was was mecha combat and such that nobody would want cut out.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2022, 13:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

it is indeed nice to have cute, pretty girls in Anime, -i'd be foolish to even attempt to deny that- but honestly, it isn't so much all of that,
as it was the sense of relatively lighthearted, casual fun all around that DOUBLE ZETA generally brought to the table.

i know-I KNOW - that is simply NOT what GUNDAM is all about.

Ultimately, my personal issue here, -i suppose- is that i am simply NOT the kind of person
that especially enjoys being smacked right upside the face with a fistful of HARD REALITY, at least not Yushiyuki Tomino-style...

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022, 14:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s a war story.

Have you seen Xabungle?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2022, 00:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s a war story.

Have you seen Xabungle?

Xabungle is an underrated gem.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2022, 13:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s a war story.

so is SDF MACROSS, and somehow that never felt like such a consistently, Thoroughly Fugly Drag to sit through, at least not to me.

i've noticed this certain underlying sense of fundamental human optimism in MACROSS,
that i've hardly noticed much of anywhere in GUNDAM, for instance.

hell, i honestly believe that it truly is Tomino's style in general that is my personal beef here, at this point.

unless you happen to be some sort of... Gritty, 1990's-Comic-Book-minded, Gin-and-Cigarette hardcore "Realist"
then i tend to feel that Tomino GUNDAM just might end up pissing you all the way off...

signofzeta wrote:
Have you seen Xabungle?

heard of it some, over the years...

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2022, 15:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Xabungle

There is only ONE Bungle. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2022, 13:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
It’s a war story.

so is SDF MACROSS, and somehow that never felt like such a consistently, Thoroughly Fugly Drag to sit through, at least not to me.

i've noticed this certain underlying sense of fundamental human optimism in MACROSS,
that i've hardly noticed much of anywhere in GUNDAM, for instance.

hell, i honestly believe that it truly is Tomino's style in general that is my personal beef here, at this point.

unless you happen to be some sort of... Gritty, 1990's-Comic-Book-minded, Gin-and-Cigarette hardcore "Realist"
then i tend to feel that Tomino GUNDAM just might end up pissing you all the way off...

signofzeta wrote:
Have you seen Xabungle?

heard of it some, over the years...

Again…it’s a war story. War is the death of hope. It has no optimism contained. War isn’t the story of heroes, it is the story of the dead. War is about causing as much death and destruction on the widest scale possible and anyone who tells you otherwise is the devil.

Macross is a war story but one with non-human enemies…dehumanizing the enemy always makes the winners happier about what they are doing but uncountable zentran die in that show. Millions. Maybe even billions. In Gundam those people are human, the same color humans even, and it doesn’t allow for enough escapism for your tastes. That’s not the shows fault you are an immature baby. Gundam isn’t a piece of candy, it’s a challenge to the audience…to YOU.

EDIT: Don’t EVER watch Origin. While it is excellent I find it to be a major downer. It doesn’t have much light in it and while it fleshes out the story of Gundam it doesn’t do much for the message.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2022, 15:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Nearing the end of Saiyuki. Started on Kekkaishi as well, has a decent formula to it. About 9 episodes in.

Finally opened Dear Brother. Had it sitting sealed since the pre-order arrived. It's not that I was unsure about it, quite the contrary. I knew I needed the time to commit to it because it's something I can't background watch and will want to watch in bigger chunks. I had high expectations for it which it has so far met.

Watched some more Kekkaishi.

Started and finished Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. Silly name, great anime. High quality in every regard. Visuals are above average compared to some other modern series I have watched. Good character drama with solid character growth and a general theme that you will be better off if you are honest about yourself and with others. Some other good takeaways as well but I don't want to spoil anything. What you shouldn't do is watch this because of the bunny girl aspect. I mean you can if you want to obviously but you are going to be disappointed as the outfit only really appears in 2 episodes.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 13:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I got Animeigo’s MADOX 01 Blu-ray. I fell asleep 10 minutes in but I do remember it being very HD and also the subtitles are fantastic as usual for Animeigo, one of very very few companies that cares at all about this and quite probably the best in the world by a mile.

Box is malformed and dinged from the manufacturer, typical of any US release. Normally I wouldn’t complain but at $60+ we’re getting close to Japanese pricing here, it would be nice if they could maybe get the printed materials made in Japan since the technology will always be out of reach for North America. Graphic design is lame everywhere but actual contents are first rate, it seems like all designs are included in the book.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 14:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i still have the old MADOX/RIDING BEAN double feature LD as my single go-to. might have to remedy that one of these days.

also, Preordered for SEPT. 2022; GOOD SMILE MODEROID MODEL KIT SERIES MADOX-01;

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 14:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I got Animeigo’s MADOX 01 Blu-ray. I fell asleep 10 minutes in but I do remember it being very HD and also the subtitles are fantastic as usual for Animeigo, one of very very few companies that cares at all about this and quite probably the best in the world by a mile.

Box is malformed and dinged from the manufacturer, typical of any US release. Normally I wouldn’t complain but at $60+ we’re getting close to Japanese pricing here, it would be nice if they could maybe get the printed materials made in Japan since the technology will always be out of reach for North America. Graphic design is lame everywhere but actual contents are first rate, it seems like all designs are included in the book.

Mine arrived as well. Haven't watched it yet but did go through the book. Fortunately my box is fine. It's not fantastic but more or less in line with the other boxes from their recent sets. Close to Funimations on their first print LE sets (one of the few things get right) and better than the Japanese stuff I have so far. Which is admittedly limited to very few things either having minimal audio to where that isn't the point of the movie (Angel's Egg) or stuff that was released with English subs to try and get import sales presumably, mostly Aniplex stuff. I do agree the box could definitely be better.

I would say $60 for 45 minutes is pretty much Japanese pricing. :lol:

tasuke wrote:
i still have the old MADOX/RIDING BEAN double feature LD as my single go-to. might have to remedy that one of these days.

The Riding Bean bluray has excellent av quality and it sounds like Madox is similar per Zeta. Plus I would expect nothing less of Animeigo given all their blu rays have been stellar. BGC was a real treat in particular... Really shined on a 4K projector even.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 14:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Animeigo is for sure “our friend”. Rock solid for decades.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 17:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Animeigo were great in the VHS days too. The only way to get a decent copy of Bubblegum Crisis episodes but they were so expensive to import from the USA.

Riding Bean is one of my all-time favourites (I have a cel from it somewhere too, my only cel). Anything by Kenichi Sonoda is to be honest.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 22:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, when BGC came out in the US the VHS cases were SO nice. These were the original $40 per episode versions I’m talking about, the later editions had…well, we know who does the graphic design and he’s great so I won’t smack talk him but the OG VHS had large not-screwed-with art with none of that blurry multi generational loss almost all US releases have. They also came in weird colored cassettes with teeny windows.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2022, 03:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song

This is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2022, 12:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Been watching some more Dear Brother. Honestly surprised this was made. Episode 8 had some things I would have never expected to see in an anime. Also it's incredibly good. It's a character drama all the way (there's nothing else to it really) and it's one of the best I've ever seen. All characters are very believable as human beings, and are deeply flawed. Seeing some growth already from some.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 03:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some updates

Finished Kekkaishi. Enjoyed it well enough. Didn't drag too long which is a plus. Had pretty decent pacing, solid fight sequences.

Finished Dear Brother. All time great shoujo. Truly a rollercoaster of emotions.

Watched K-on! season 1. Rules hard. Wouldn't recommend it for Zeta I think. :lol: It's a 4koma adaptation and all that comes with it. One of my favorites in the genre with Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh.

Chaika: The Coffin Princess and Chaika: The Coffin Princess - Avenging Battle I have no real complaints with it at all but it's not exceptional. It is fairly predictable but I don't find that to be an issue. Actually concluding the story in a concise manner is always a pleasant surprise with anime. If you like action oriented anime, it's a decent fix.

Currently nibbling on K-on!! (season 2) and SGT Frog.

Started Your Lie In April early this morning and hated that I had things to do that required me to quit watching. Definitely planning to watch some more tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 12:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

perhaps i ought to break down and give K-ON! a go one of these days...

in any case, got this GOOD SMILE MODEROID PATLABOR AV-98 INGRAM w. REACTIVE ARMOR pre-ordered for JAN. 2023;

kind of coming full circle here, as my first, -and, to date- only-ever soft Vinyl model
was a 1/35 Korean knock-off of the same subject, back in the late-90's;

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 16:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:

It's pretty much just a feel good show with an all female cast. So there isn't really a plot to speak of. It's light and fluffy, you've seen it before in some form or another most likely, but it delivers on what it promises, basically.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2022, 07:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
tasuke wrote:

It's pretty much just a feel good show with an all female cast. So there isn't really a plot to speak of. It's light and fluffy, you've seen it before in some form or another most likely, but it delivers on what it promises, basically.

It actually ends also, the movie wraps up and concludes the entire series.

Page 62 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next