It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:02

Page 40 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 18:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
City Hunter Shinjuku Private Eyes

Now this is how you make a new entry in a classic franchise. Very enjoyable and has every that makes City Hunter what it is.

Let me know when it’s dubbed into French and I’ll give it a shot.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 03:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Been bouncing around watching different anime on free stream, doing Cowboy Bebop again, after watching Lupin I can see its an almost rip of that with a scifi
theme and gritter western style.

Still don't think I care for this as much as Lupin.
Also still watching fist of the north star, good series but may not be worth a second viewing, I saw it about 8 years ago and its just not holding up.
The film is another story and was pretty good as I feel all the films of series are now, just a condensed version of the series and more enjoyable now.

Bebop tells a story whereas Lupin is mostly episodic. I like both a lot for different reasons.

I was watching some more of various things but started up another video game for now. Judgment on ps4. It's good.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 01:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finished Kimagure Orange Road, really liked it. Watching some trashy newer stuff now like Gate. If it weren't for the animation (booo lame cg) I would be watching it at a faster clip.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 02:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

After plowing through a large part of the original Cobra manga I decided to watch some anime. It turns out this is some new 21st century stuff...bought the wrong release. :(

It’s not terrible or anything but in all seriousness new anime sucks and I can’t imagine actually finishing this.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 14:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

go for the NOZOMI two-volume original 1982 COBRA T.V. DVD set. COBRA doesn't seem to get any better than that, at least as yet in the U.S. market.
one of the most satisfying vintage Anime series i've ever seen, right up there with MACROSS T.V. even.

anyway, i just picked up the old early-2000's AnimEigo DVD edition of OTAKU NO VIDEO to see for the first time, and it was... Interesting..

it was alright for what it was trying to do and all, and, back in the day, i imagine it was quite the treat, even,
but today, in this day and age, as a modern Anime Fan, spoiled for choice and info thanks to the internet and all,
well, perhaps i came away a little less impressed than i ought to have been.

i mean, being reared in Anime Fandom in the 90's, right before the blossom of the Information Age,
i do indeed full well remember and appreciate how hard us earlier generations of OTAKU had to "Bleed for our Art"
but even so...

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 14:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
After plowing through a large part of the original Cobra manga I decided to watch some anime. It turns out this is some new 21st century stuff...bought the wrong release. :(

It’s not terrible or anything but in all seriousness new anime sucks and I can’t imagine actually finishing this.

There are maybe 2-3 genuinely good new shows a year, in terms of content. I like trash sometimes, but my biggest issue is the appearance. I just dislike how CG looks in a lot of cases. Give me the Lodoss War dragon every day over the one in GATE.

Otaku No Video was good. Not something I need to rewatch a bunch but worth a view.

Unfortunately the old Nozomi DVDs of Cobra are out of print. It would be nice if they and some others from them were re-issued.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 15:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

I found the new OVAs to be...average. Which isn't really much of a praise because I found them forgettable. They're watchable, but not something you'll find yourself going back to, certainly not the same way as the original series.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 03:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
go for the NOZOMI two-volume original 1982 COBRA T.V. DVD set. COBRA doesn't seem to get any better than that, at least as yet in the U.S. market.
one of the most satisfying vintage Anime series i've ever seen, right up there with MACROSS T.V. even.

anyway, i just picked up the old early-2000's AnimEigo DVD edition of OTAKU NO VIDEO to see for the first time, and it was... Interesting..

it was alright for what it was trying to do and all, and, back in the day, i imagine it was quite the treat, even,
but today, in this day and age, as a modern Anime Fan, spoiled for choice and info thanks to the internet and all,
well, perhaps i came away a little less impressed than i ought to have been.

i mean, being reared in Anime Fandom in the 90's, right before the blossom of the Information Age,
i do indeed full well remember and appreciate how hard us earlier generations of OTAKU had to "Bleed for our Art"
but even so...

Another post telling us a classic is overrated...at least this POS was better than garbage like Venus Wars, right? Oh, btw, please never watch Royal Space Force. I don’t want to read you complain about high horses and pretentiousness.

Otaku no Video is a call to action. You’re not the type. You complain about dry transfers being too difficult to use. You’re not exactly going to start your own garage kit or anime production company or even paint a cel, all of which the makers of this anime did and inspired many others to do great things as well.

Toshio Okata these days is more famous for dissing on loser modern anime fans who contribute zero to the scene on either pro or fan levels. Fans who read thousands of pages of manga but nothing else since leaving college and therefore have no world view outside of the products they continue to demand in larger and larger quantities at lower and lower prices. I’m not surprised you hate something based on him from 30 years ago. His message is very consistent, otakudom must forever continue earn the respect slobs think it deserves automatically. It’s not a place to hide, it’s a place to kick a**.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 13:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

perhaps what actually i should have said was that Anime/Manga enthusiasts indeed have it tremendously easier now than they once did,
and, if nothing else, shows such as OTAKU NO VIDEO ought to make them full and truly appreciate that fact with a crystalline clarity.

BTW, while i do indeed dislike BANDAI's MG dry transfers,
my prime personal beef with them, as well as with BANDAI themselves,
is making the nervously tricky-to-use transfers a REQUIREMENT rather than an OPTION
on otherwise beautifully user friendly and highly skill-inclusive precision model kits.

last i used MG dry transfers, i blessedly managed to apply them well, but i was sweating all the way,
applying decals i had but one chance at getting right, without the chance to reposition-before-setting
that at least waterslides afford, nor the troublefree convenience of the self-adhesives;

in sum, what i am positing,
-as an overgrown spoiled brat of a child that could clearly never begin to understand the blazing spirit of the True OTAKU in a million years-
is that BANDAI could easily make their already near-perfect GUNPLA kits well and truly complete in their inclusiveness
with triplicate identical decal sheets, (Waterslide/Dry Transfer/Self-Adhesive) to full and well service all skill levels and inclinations simultaneously...

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 14:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I once heard that the Playboy channel planned to show the original Cobra back in the '80s. I wonder if there's any truth to that.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 16:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
I once heard that the Playboy channel planned to show the original Cobra back in the '80s. I wonder if there's any truth to that.

That would have been crazy, I don't think PB people would even know what to take from that show.

I think the first half of this until the sisters story is finished is one of the best.

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 15:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

so i picked up LOUIE THE RUNE SOLDIER at the same time as OTAKU NO VIDEO,
since i recall seeing LOUIE shopped around on the ADV previews i saw fifteen years ago or so,
and always thought it looked promising.

well, while it began as a rip-roaring, very welcome parody upon typical Fantasy RPG tropes,
it didn't waste much time settling down into all-too-tired Anime equivalents,
pretty much unceremoniously brushing itself under the rug by the end of it's single pathetic season. Disappointing.

best thing to be taken away was the OP song, "Twinkle Trick" as well as a couple/three of the BGMs.
if nothing else, KENJI KAWAI always was my kind of Anime score composer...

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 17:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I enjoyed Rune Soldier for what it was. To quote takeshi "I'm not sure what you were expecting." It seems like when you post about watching most things, you mention not liking them. Which is fine, just something I noticed.

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 18:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Maybe anime sucks.

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 18:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I didn't mean just anime, but most stuff does suck at a critical level. Lots of self-insert/wish fulfillment media.

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 18:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I wonder if this is in the same realm as when I was younger and could sit and watch so much garbage, TV shows, higher voices etc.
Now I can't even sit through 10% of the stuff I was able to just consume all day long.

Some of the older cartoons, I just can't even watch the series, too long and the voices, the voices.........
So high pitched and annoying, I can't believe I was able to watch something like Samurai Pizza Cats and now I couldn't even get through 15-20 episodes.

All of these Otaku shows, I couldn't even watch 5 minutes of Ultraman Leo on the pluto channel for free.
The kids were annoying and the voices, the voices........

So it may be something of our good ole Tatsuke changing or having higher standards that may never be reached.
Tat could like the kits, figures, dolls etc but can't stand most of the anime or shows.

I remember when I had a major collection of POPY stuff that once I saw the series I dumped the toys I had faster than anything.
Why keep toys to something I didn't grow up with and had no connection to and couldn't stand the show once I saw it.

My anime collection has been cut by a large amount in the past few years due to watching again, deciding if I really will sit through this or that series
again and upping it to crappy DVD to take the profit on a stupid priced LD for that completist out there.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 00:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That is a fair point, we all outgrow things.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 00:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you’re wondering if Tasuke is growing up or developing taste...don’t be. His inner ideology is completely opposed to it.

I’m also someone who is accused of “hating everything” so I sympathize. I also have Bill Hicks levels of RBF so people always think I’m sad or pissed off even when things are going perfectly for me. It’s more likely that you ignored all the stuff he likes and only concentrate on his negativity and therefore really its everyone else who’s being a downy clowny.

When I talk about stuff I LOVE usually people are bored or they get sidetracked by criticisms (my favorite band is New Order who are 50/50 genius/talentless so I’m comfortable dumping on things I like) or there just...isn’t a place to talk about it. I recently read a book covering a subject nobody on this forum is even remotely familiar with. Why bring it up? One post threads are depressing.

I’m sure Tasuke’s passion for underage underwear anime is absolute fire, he just can’t talk about it here or when he does he gets flamed. That sounds like a burn...and it is, but it’s also something I can relate to.

Last edited by signofzeta on 23 May 2020, 03:07, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 01:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have no issues with mentioning flaws or even making fun of things I like. This seems to confuse or confound people at times and has led people to say I hate all video games. Some people seem to think you should be overwhelmingly positive about everything which was definitely not my intention.

I get what you mean about not posting stuff everywhere. I didn't bother posting about my recent Dark Souls remastered build here, there is no point.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 14:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Maybe anime sucks.

quite honestly, it most often actually does. makes one appreciate the stand-outs and classics all the more.

i mean, i don't "Hate" THE VENUS WARS by any means, as ZETA so often likes to insinuate.
in fact it was actually pretty good by Anime standards.

my beef with it was that it hit like a hammer right out of the gate, great music, great visuals, all the good stuff.
indeed, i figured i had just found myself another MACROSS DYRL or the like.
ultimately, the movie disappointed me, as i suppose i might of been expecting perhaps far too much of it.

i guess i should get around to watching it once more; perhaps i just might find myself a much brighter opinion of the film,
especially after sitting through the Macy's Parade of Anime stink-bombs i've recently endured. We shall See...

Page 40 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 64  Next