It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:17

Page 33 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 04:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tweeg wrote:
Some of Sony's newest BD players they started pumping out 4th quarter of 2018 no longer feature DVD playback, which is crazy. When I worked at Best Buy we were getting a lot of them returned because people thought they were defective since their DVDs wouldn't play on them.

Not really crazy, that's a cost saving measure so not surprising coming from Sony.
I mean PS4 (including Pro) never got a UHD BD drive.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 07:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
PS3 also has a bluetooth remote, no need for pointing :lol:

I’ll be honest, I hate that feature. If you bump any button on the remote, just by moving a magazine or whatever, it powers up. There is no power button so to shut the thing off you have to wait for it to go through it’s sequence and then power it off either on the unit or the on screen display. If you lose patience and yank the plug the PS3’s file system may get corrupted which could stick you with a recovery process that can literally take a day. If you jostle the remote on the way to work and don’t have a few minutes to waste on Sony BS then it stays on wasting power until you get home from work.

I like Laserdisc players is what I’m saying, I guess. They never treat you like your time was worthless.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 07:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
tweeg wrote:
Some of Sony's newest BD players they started pumping out 4th quarter of 2018 no longer feature DVD playback, which is crazy. When I worked at Best Buy we were getting a lot of them returned because people thought they were defective since their DVDs wouldn't play on them.

That's...very idiotic of Sony and also good to know.

It doesn’t even seem like that would save money. If this is true it seems like value engineering more than actual cost reduction since most of that crap is built on one or two chips these days. Blu-ray players are required to support MPEG2 since there tons of MPEG2 Blu-ray’s. The laser could perhaps be simpler but...not sure. Seems pointless to me. Nobody ONLY has Blu-ray’s and zero DVDs.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 07:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
deadlegion wrote:
PS3 also has a bluetooth remote, no need for pointing :lol:

I’ll be honest, I hate that feature. If you bump any button on the remote, just by moving a magazine or whatever, it powers up. There is no power button so to shut the thing off you have to wait for it to go through it’s sequence and then power it off either on the unit or the on screen display. If you lose patience and yank the plug the PS3’s file system may get corrupted which could stick you with a recovery process that can literally take a day. If you jostle the remote on the way to work and don’t have a few minutes to waste on Sony BS then it stays on wasting power until you get home from work.

I like Laserdisc players is what I’m saying, I guess. They never treat you like your time was worthless.

I've never had any issues with PS3 media remotes, I have 2 of them atm. Never bumped buttons by accident or whatever, honestly I think you'd have to sit on it to do that and I never treat my remotes like that.

Switch the power to the console off if you aren't using it, fats have a power switch at the back and more recent consoles you just have them plugged into a switched power board.
I don't leave all my electrical stuff powered on standby all the time.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 07:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
gypsy wrote:
tweeg wrote:

It doesn’t even seem like that would save money. If this is true it seems like value engineering more than actual cost reduction since most of that crap is built on one or two chips these days. Blu-ray players are required to support MPEG2 since there tons of MPEG2 Blu-ray’s. The laser could perhaps be simpler but...not sure. Seems pointless to me. Nobody ONLY has Blu-ray’s and zero DVDs.

The reasoning (iirc) for PS4 Pro not having UHD BD support was because "nobody uses them" :crazy:
I did read a little while ago that the PS4 slim (the cheapest PS4) can't play CD but idk if that's true or not.
Sony are odd though, DS3/4 controllers have built in batteries and are a pain to reassemble if you repair them (like just to replace the battery). The PS3 media remote uses AA batteries thankfully.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 09:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
gypsy wrote:
tweeg wrote:

Sony, making boneheaded backwards decisions for seemingly no good reason at all? Surely not! :P

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 12:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
I mean PS4 (including Pro) never got a UHD BD drive.

The original PS4 was released many years prior to UHD-BD. Considering how few (relatively speaking) traditional consumers who actually uses UHD-BD it would most likely be hard to justify a higher price due to that drive since the PS4 Pro is already a difficult console to sell. No revisions of the PS4 can play CDs from my understanding. No real loss imo as it wouldn't be anything but tedious to play CDs on that console.

I went for the Oppo as I'm a complete sucker for physical media. It was made for people like me and since they essentially stopped making them due to lack of revenues it's safe to say that guys like me are in a minority. Therefore I'm not suprised that Sony are playing with safe cards, especially considering that the PS4 have been a major turnpoint for them.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 14:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, i've just hit those infamous NADIA "Island Episodes"

Yes, they are quite stupid, -so far- but hardly anything that i haven't seen pulled in a zillion other Anime series.

indeed, it is disappointing weaksauce, especially after the gravity of the last episode before it started,

- and, BTW, that moment between the little red-haired girl Marie and Captain Nemo at the end was one of the most adorable sequences in all of Anime -

- but again, promising Anime series, taking colossal nosedives midway through, is hardly anything new at all, at least to me.

i can only hope the series eventually sets the nonsense aside and gets back on track before it's through,
because heaven knows i've seen plenty of series that never did...

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 16:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://www.rightstufanime.com/City-Hun ... -1-Blu-ray

City Hunter BD is up for pre-order. That and Honey & Clover is my February Discotek pre-order. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 17:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Wow the price ! To be honest it's expensive for what it is, at 60$ I expected the full series, not just 26 episodes, anyway it's a US release and I think blu-ray has region locking so...
At least Shinjuku Private Eyes is coming on blu here in February YAY !

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 20:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Wow the price ! To be honest it's expensive for what it is, at 60$ I expected the full series, not just 26 episodes, anyway it's a US release and I think blu-ray has region locking so...

Yeah retail prices on anime suck. At least there is a pre-order discount. With Discotek releases even sale prices later don't get too far under the pre-order price if at all. Honestly the first couple releases are not overly exciting other than the fact that they are true BDs. The dvds of the first season are cheap, although pretty s****y. After that is a boon for availability though, especially season 2 part two and then of course 3 and 91 which are nigh unobtainable and had tiny print runs. So I hope they get that far in releasing it and quickly. I like CH enough that I'll buy it all at the pre-order price point.

Honey & Clover is another thing that badly needed a rerelease. I almost bought Australian dvds to get it but decided to hold out hope for a BD.

Still waiting on Rightstuf to ship my December order :( which is Giant Robo and Galaxy Express BDs. I'm happy that there is enough of a market for all this old was anime I like to get a proper U.S. BD.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 21:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ryosaeba84 wrote:

Blu-ray does have region encoding. As an American I don’t notice it anymore since Japan and the US are the same. Europe got kinda screwed there sadly. When DVD was King...I bought very few import DVDs...

I’d check to be sure with each release though. With modern niche releases they get creative. Sometimes they only lock out Japan. Music Blu-rays are often region free.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 15:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well, that's it for Nadia. alas, while hardly Shakespeare, the series maintained high quality
up until the infamous "Island Episodes" began, and simply never recovered.

i suppose the best of the series essentially ended on a high point,
with a genuinely sweet scene between Captain Nemo and little Marie, one of the briefest, yet best in all of Anime, IMO.

i theorize that NHK Broadcasting, being the BBC of Japan as they are, finally woke up and noticed the series,
and, conservative, Right-Minded souls that they clearly were, took umbrage with the tone the series was taking,
insisting dumbing it way down and essentially Committee-ing the remainder of the series quite to death.

oh well, at least the series left me some very memorable music;

Also, Capt. Nemo was a cool guy
(right up until the Island Episodes onward, that is, when he had somehow suddenly degraded into "typical Japanese guy in charge")
Marie was positively Adorable in her precociousness,
Grandis was easily the most likable "Ne'er-Do-Well-Villain-with-a-Heart-of-Gold" in all of Anime,
and the NAUTILUS I was actually quite a singularly awesome Submarine.
in fact, i even kind of want a model of the thing now. well, we will see about that...

at any rate, on to PATLABOR T.V.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 19:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

So to chime back in on the mostly off-topic issue of many of Sony's newer BD players not featuring DVD playback. Yes, as @deadlegion surmised, it is mostly a cost cut in the production of the players, and also a way to attempt to drive Blu-Ray sales (win-win for Sony, not for consumers).

Backwards compatible BD/DVD/CD players feature two optical lasers, as CDs & DVDs need to be read using a Red (IR) spectrum laser (specifically CDs can be read using a IR laser, but are still readable using a DVDs full-red spectrum laser). Original Blu-Ray media though requires a blue-spectrum laser, and the newer Blu-Ray Ultra HD (4K Blu-Ray) uses a ultraviolet laser. All of these color spectrums of lasers operate at different light wave frequencies and are capable of being focused at smaller and smaller pinpoint dimensions allowing for crazy high levels of data to be physically "pressed' onto a the disc media and still be readable.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 12:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just finished ep16 of Orguss on LD using my newly acquired genlock for subs. love it. Even though the basic small crew on a road trip in a small ship premise is a rip off of Gundam (which I guess ripped Yamato) I love it. The mecha are so cool and love those Mikimoto character designs. The story takes a few twists which I wasn't expecting and Kei is hilarious. Love Jabi and the Mu robot too..wish I could afford the old toys. Even though my Japanese is decent I definitely need the subs for the finer story points.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 15:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

while i have yet to see even an Episode of ORGUSS, i've owned someone's old weathered, customized copy of the TAKATOKU 1/40 ORGROID
since i stumbled upon it at a comic shop for like $20 back in the late-1990's.

it's missing the crescent-shaped shield-thingy that latched to the gun;

it ended up falling off a high shelf once, long ago, shattering one of the POM plastic hip retaining parts.
i tried fixing it best i could manage at the time, resulting in a bum, loose hip.

i pulled it from storage a year or so ago, revisiting the repair job, and improving upon it greatly;

Last edited by tasuke on 04 Jan 2020, 16:00, edited 2 times in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 15:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Careful, those original Takatoku's are FRAGILE as all hell.

I remember picking up some of them as a kid in the mid to late 80s and they were broken in the boxes.
Had very weak joints around the legs from the few I had, sold them off broken at toy shows and never tried again.

The Macross stuff was fine for some reason?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 16:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

TAKATOKU made plenty of cheap, throwaway impulse buys for each one of the legendarily rugged TOTL DX-grade large-scale products they ever marketed.

i'd imagine the commuter-train-kiosk-crap was where they made the bulk of their profit...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 00:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There is an episode in Orguss where it gets toasted flying into a dimensional rift. Yours can be from that episode!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 16:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PATLABOR T.V. is FANTASTIC, easily among the very best, IMHO.

the characters are written like REAL PEOPLE, lending a singular veracity that is exceptionally uncommon in Anime,
indeed, rather uncommon in any storytelling medium, really...

Page 33 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 64  Next