It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:27

Page 58 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 19:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Within the last month or so

Log Horizon (better than it looks, at least for my viewing purposes)
Some Case Closed movies, which were about what I expected. Good pre-bed viewing.
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple lol
Lupin Return of Pycal W E I R D L U P I N

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 22:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gypsy wrote:

"Better than it looks" is how I'd describe it as well. I like that it eschews the typical life-or-death stakes of a "trapped in a video game" story and recognizes that happiness-or-unhappiness can be compelling stakes on their own.

My most recent modern anime recommendation is Oddtaxi. It's relevant, insightful, witty, and very intricately plotted.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 04:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Robot Carnival. luckily the LD plays whereas the VHD skips. but LD is the only way to enjoy it with 2 screens going.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 12:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

xtempo wrote:
Robot Carnival. luckily the LD plays whereas the VHD skips. but LD is the only way to enjoy it with 2 screens going.

What do you mean by "2 screens going"?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 13:34 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I have it hooked up to 2 TV one small one for sound and a larger one though I do need to calibrate it where the picture isn't so vastly different. the CLD-79 has two a/v outputs. I just need speakers to have a proper setup and may just use the larger screen.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 14:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:

Unless someone wised up and made a 4:3 or multi ratio BR of it then the LD is still probably the best way to see this movie. The BR one was cut to wide which is unforgivable. Everyone loves it, I know, but if that movie is to be confined to one radio then it really should be 4:3. That was the only ratio anyone saw it in for its first 30-some years of its existence.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 17:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just picked up a rot free copy of Suikoden #1: Demon Century (1993) [CLVSU/001]
Unknown if this anime is really for me, seems a little slow on the take but may have to watch it a second time.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 00:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
xtempo wrote:

Unless someone wised up and made a 4:3 or multi ratio BR of it then the LD is still probably the best way to see this movie. The BR one was cut to wide which is unforgivable. Everyone loves it, I know, but if that movie is to be confined to one radio then it really should be 4:3. That was the only ratio anyone saw it in for its first 30-some years of its existence.

My understanding is that the new UHD release includes the option to watch the 4:3 version.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2021, 01:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Within the last month or so

Some Case Closed movies, which were about what I expected. Good pre-bed viewing.
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple lol
Lupin Return of Pycal W E I R D L U P I N

Mostly still watching the same stuff. Wrapped up the first BD set of Kenichi recently. Started on the last third of Hajime no Ippo.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2021, 05:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've been going through Future Boy Conan (new US blu-ray) lately; about half-way through. It is absolutely astounding. I can scarcely believe it was made in 1978 - if the entire 1980s produced a TV show with better animation, I don't know it. You could have told me it was made in 1995 and I'd have believed it. And even ignoring the technical genius and mesmerizing sights, it's a gripping, perfectly paced adventure story that simply bursts at the seams with heart. I hope lots of kids in the English-speaking world can get to watch it now that it's out; they've been deprived.

Sends me reeling that I'd barely heard of this show before this year, considering it's directed by Hayao freaking Miyazaki. And you can tell immediately: it is so thoroughly his work, especially in the mechanical designs. So far I'd rank it above Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle. So to say, highly recommended.

The BD is well worth getting, by the way. Picture's excellent, hard to imagine it looking any better. The negatives must have been in amazing shape. The subtitles sometimes lean on the side of clarifying intent when the spoken lines are obviously simpler and less verbose, which can be a bit distracting, but it's just an intermittent annoyance (and might be something I wouldn't notice if I weren't learning Japanese (I trust the subtitles more than myself, though, otherwise I wouldn't have them on)). Haven't watched the dub.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2021, 12:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There’s a US Blu-ray of Future Boy Conan!?!?

Shopping for it now, thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: OK, I have it on the way now. I was a little worried because it says they blew a bunch money on a dub and didn’t mentioned the Japanese at all in some listings but at the publisher’s site they do say it has Japanese. (For a minute I was worried they left out the Japanese to lower the price.)

Watching the scene where he’s smashing the rocks because of Grandpa…dubbed, re-recorded or messed with in any way…satanic. I haven’t watched this show in 20+ years but I’ll never forget the emotion of that scene.

Conan is one of the greats. When it came out really the best anime of all time were probably Yamato, 999, Heidi, and this. It’s dynamic, heavy, optimistic, as good as it gets. Buy with absolute confidence.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 20:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
I've been going through Future Boy Conan (new US blu-ray) lately; about half-way through. It is absolutely astounding. I can scarcely believe it was made in 1978 - if the entire 1980s produced a TV show with better animation, I don't know it. You could have told me it was made in 1995 and I'd have believed it. And even ignoring the technical genius and mesmerizing sights, it's a gripping, perfectly paced adventure story that simply bursts at the seams with heart. I hope lots of kids in the English-speaking world can get to watch it now that it's out; they've been deprived.

Sends me reeling that I'd barely heard of this show before this year, considering it's directed by Hayao freaking Miyazaki. And you can tell immediately: it is so thoroughly his work, especially in the mechanical designs. So far I'd rank it above Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle. So to say, highly recommended.

The BD is well worth getting, by the way. Picture's excellent, hard to imagine it looking any better. The negatives must have been in amazing shape. The subtitles sometimes lean on the side of clarifying intent when the spoken lines are obviously simpler and less verbose, which can be a bit distracting, but it's just an intermittent annoyance (and might be something I wouldn't notice if I weren't learning Japanese (I trust the subtitles more than myself, though, otherwise I wouldn't have them on)). Haven't watched the dub.

Zeta and ZZ Gundam, Kimagure Orange Road and I could go on but Future Boy Conan looks amazing for when it was made, no doubt. Rose of Versailles was another 70s stand out with the animation for me.

It's a great anime, I will have to rewatch it since the first time I saw it well, you can imagine the quality.

@Zeta: I recommend always checking blu-ray.com for questions about a release. You already figured out what you needed to but https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Future-B ... ay/299664/

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 20:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I can only speak to Zeta Gundam, but it isn't even in the same ballpark as Future Boy Conan animation-wise in my book. Forget "for the time," if you showed me Zeta and Conan next to each other and I had no knowledge of either, I'd guess that Conan was newer, dead serious.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 21:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't recall being that impressed by the animation but like soz I haven't seen it in years and definitely need to watch this BD release.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 01:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Year and animation quality aren’t really related.

Zeta Gundam’s animation isn’t so hot. Dirty Pair looks better, same studio/year. Cobra, Dragonar, Holmes, all have better animation than Zeta.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 01:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cobra definitely looked nice.

I thought Zeta and ZZ looked pretty good but it might just be because I was coming off the original series and it was a big step up from that imo.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 03:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

currently going through my deluxe edition of Mysterious Cities of Gold

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 11:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Spinning up animatrix this week cause of a dream I had recently.
Love the soundtrack and original artwork throughout. Especially the last "chapter" of the content.
Matriculate kids.
Keep the wheel turning......
Live Life

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 12:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
Cobra definitely looked nice.

I thought Zeta and ZZ looked pretty good but it might just be because I was coming off the original series and it was a big step up from that imo.

Without a doubt there are specific cuts that are absolutely fantastic in Z and especially ZZ. They hired everyone who was anyone for something on ZZ. The intros and recycled cuts are amazing too. And yes, both are waaaay better animation than the original series at all times. Only the new footage made for movies I,II, and III is actually very good theatrical grade anime.

Holmes however, because of foreign investment, is consistently solid in every single cut, the boring stuff, the exiting stuff, the episodes Miyazaki directed the ones he didn’t, it’s very good %100 of the time and the really dynamic action scenes are nearly Ghibli grade.

While Heidi didn’t have a high budget and it recycled animation constantly, occasionally producing continuity errors, it is a high point in 70s anime. The scenes that get you will get you despite there being no budget. It’s more about inspiration and it does that. You’ll want to visit 19th century Switzerland when it’s over and run barefoot through goat droppings on the mountain with Peter and the girls. Far from a quick book adaptation for a paycheck, Heidi was a labor of love for a small group of super talented people. Some eventually became famous and some didn’t but the show’s influence is felt even today. You’ll see things later used in Lupin, Totoro, Kiki, etc for the first time here. I hope someone sells this show in the US some day.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sherlock Hound is on my list but I'm really holding out for a Bluray even if it's SD (though obviously a proper HD release would be great). I'd really rather not buy DVDs.

The hope for Heidi being released would be Discotek or Shout Factory. I don't think anyone else would do it.

Page 58 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 64  Next