It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: DAICON III&IV LD; still worth money?
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 02:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I bought this disc a few months back but I don't think anyone would believe what I pad for it :D It was still selling on yahoo for around 40,000-50,000 yen when I bought my copy for 500yen.

I see 2 copies on YAJ now with no bids which is unusual. They do have very high starting bids though.

Oh and as for laser rot, it has light rot on side 1 with a little bit more on the second side with the second half of the live action video. The DAICON animation is so damaged that rot disappears among all the nicks, hair, dust and debris in the film. Shame it seems that the film animation was transferred off video tape rather than from a film telecine. It has that annoying head switching line at the bottom of the screen.

Post subject: Re: DAICON III&IV LD; still worth money?
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 01:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I've never heard of anyone getting it for 500 yen. 5000 yen maybe. You got a good deal. I would gladly pay $100 for your copy, even with the rot.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 06:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Wow! You were very lucky. I've been wanting that disc for so long...

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 18:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Heh, until I had the thing in my hands, I could not believe it was true either :D I always found the story and history behind the LD to be really interesting but NEVER imagined owning it because of the price. The shop I bought it from in Japan obviously had no idea what it was. I happened to be there as new stock was going out.

I thought of selling it but I know I'll never get another one, not for 500yen! It makes me wonder how they got the disc in stock to sell. To sell something for 500yen they must have paid 100yen and under. From an equally clueless bulk seller I would think.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 20:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

segasonic91 wrote:
Heh, until I had the thing in my hands, I could not believe it was true either :D I always found the story and history behind the LD to be really interesting but NEVER imagined owning it because of the price. The shop I bought it from in Japan obviously had no idea what it was. I happened to be there as new stock was going out.

I thought of selling it but I know I'll never get another one, not for 500yen! It makes me wonder how they got the disc in stock to sell. To sell something for 500yen they must have paid 100yen and under. From an equally clueless bulk seller I would think.

100 yen is better then throwing it. In this case atleast it went to someone that wanted it. There are no LD experts anymore so no matter how expensive stuff they have you cant demand to get paid for them.

As for the rot, its like having a record that skips if you ask me. If a good copy is 300 usd then I would rate a rot one for 30-50 usd. I dont care how many rotted discs there is, rot is rot.

I think the reason that it doesnt go for so much anymore is simple that the 2-3 copies that where sold pretty much filled the quote of the people that wanted it for that amount. now there is some addition idiots like me and a few more that might pay 100 usd, but thats mostly becouse we feel that its worth 500 usd =)

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 05:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yep. That's it. That's it exactly.

I remember when Five Star Stories: The Movie (1989) [TLL 2153] was going for $500. Back then you couldn't even get someone with Diacon III&IV to admit they owned it because they didn't want to be pestered to sell it or make a slightly better S-VHS copy than what anyone else had.

Of course, this was also when $400 LD boxes were super popular and you could sell pretty much any anime you wanted for any price because otaku had bank. A lot has changed, video games and iPhone took a lot of that cash, permanent recession took the rest.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 12:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yep. That's it. That's it exactly.

I remember when Five Star Stories: The Movie (1989) [TLL 2153] was going for $500. Back then you couldn't even get someone with Diacon III&IV to admit they owned it because they didn't want to be pestered to sell it or make a slightly better S-VHS copy than what anyone else had.

Of course, this was also when $400 LD boxes were super popular and you could sell pretty much any anime you wanted for any price because otaku had bank. A lot has changed, video games and iPhone took a lot of that cash, permanent recession took the rest.

Also, if you want this title, which have big chance of being rot in. Then I wouldnt buy it for 35 000 yen on yahoo, becouse it will be a very hard time to get money back, if you use a shipping service. That could also explain why it doesnt get sold.

If the disc where checked first I think it would have much bigger chance in getting sold.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 17:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
this was also when $400 LD boxes were super popular and you could sell pretty much any anime you wanted for any price because otaku had bank. A lot has changed, video games and iPhone took a lot of that cash, permanent recession took the rest.

totally true, I would love to have this daicon disc but just can't see spending that type of money on it now.

I remember when a guy was selling some Japanese LDs on ebay around 2000 or 2001, had a bunch of box sets of some ultraman stuff I wanted.
he was asking crazy prices like $1000 for ultraman leo :wtf:
but also exchange rates were crazy high then also.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]