It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:54

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Do Certain Anime LD's contain exclusive Features & Content?
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 07:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I was reading here that the only to watch an original cut of the MD Geist OVA https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=791&page=22 is to get the 1992 VHS release.

What I've always wanted to know is, are there any anime laserdisc's that contain exclusive features/content of any kind not available on DVD?

Post subject: Re: Do Certain Anime LD's contain exclusive Features & Conte
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 09:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, there are many (although probably often also available on VHS).
But if you want a list you'll have to start digging around yourself.
The fansub community is a good way to start, as they hunt down
LD versions of such animes to make digital subbed versions.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 17:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are many programs themselves that will likely be LD forever. The OVA boom produced more stuff than what was needed even then so it's way more than what the world needs now.

As for LD-only features of anime that has since been put on DVD...I don't really know because I don't follow JDM DVD/BR releases very much. There are a few I can think of that I assume have stayed LD-only:

Ghibli ga Ippai: several of these bonus things likely aren't on the subsequent Disney releases, although I can't be sure of this. The fireside chat between Miyazaki and Kurosawa comes to mind, and I'm sure some of the dubs will never be used again.

Gundam The Movie Master Grade Box: disc 8 of this set contains a few interesting oddities, including all the cut scenes from the Saturn Gundam game in high quality.

The promo series of 8" LDs that went with the OVA series Gundam 0080 and 0083 (All That Gundam, 83s Memory, Another 83s Memory) contain a few interviews and stuff. The actual All That Gundam short did eventually make it to some release, I presume, because there is an HD version on YouTube. Probably the 0080 BR?

Macross: DYRL is censored (violence) on BR, possibly for all future releases.

Tenchi Muyo: given the mountain of TM LDs Pioneer made; there have to be hours of LD-only bonus junk. I'm not sure if anyone cares what it is though...

Some Gundam LD I have has a short ad for a Cardass series of Super Deformed Spiral Zone. Not a big deal, but it is if you are a SZ fan, maybe.

This might be a good thread to update and keep around.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 18:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The Pioneer USA LDs of "Phantom Quest Corp" have various odd little items, including one which is almost sure to be LD-only : explanatory notes buried in still-frames during the feature. At the end is an index telling you what frames to search for in order to see them.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 19:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ha! That's cool. The Wizard of Speed and Time 8" LD does something similar.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 06:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

kt7000 wrote:
What I've always wanted to know is, are there any anime laserdisc's that contain exclusive features/content of any kind not available on DVD?

There are two that come to mind, both dubs.
Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostro) (1979) [TLL 2473]
This has the score and sound effects in the analog right channel, and the Streamline dub in the left analog. I was contacted recently by a fandub group who claimed this was the only source for the isolated score and sound effects track. Additionally, this dubbing will (hopefully) not be released on DVD, as it is a distant second place to the current English dub.

Here Is Greenwood (Koko Wa Greenwood): vol.1 (1991) [SSLD9660]
Here Is Greenwood (Koko Wa Greenwood): vol.2 (1992) [SSLD9661]
Here Is Greenwood (Koko Wa Greenwood): vol.3 (1993) [SSLD9662]
The English dub for the LD (and VHS) is great. The actors really captured the off-beat and quirky humor of the series. It was re-dubbed for a DVD release with abysmal results. The DVD dub is too serious and melodramatic.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 21:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Another one to add to the different dubs club would be Giant Robo.

Granted only 4 volumes made it to LD, but when the series was re-released by Media Blasters on DVD, they recorded a new dub. I think the new dub is a more accurate translation than the old LA Hero dub. But the LA Hero dub sounded a little more kitschy to me which I liked.

"TOGETHER! ALLEGIANCE OR DEATH! BIG FIRE!!!!!"

:lol:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 00:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Thats one of the bigger problems with dubs; every time the rights change you get new players. For some reason the western publisher always wants to do something "better" leading to some shows having two or three different dubs, yet...do you ever wonder why it's almost totally unheard of for the original owners to make a new and improved JP track? Maybe because it's friggn pointless?

I think even the first GR dub had a cast change or two somewhere, I can't remember for sure though.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 00:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Thats one of the bigger problems with dubs; every time the rights change you get new players. For some reason the western publisher always wants to do something "better" leading to some shows having two or three different dubs, yet...do you ever wonder why it's almost totally unheard of for the original owners to make a new and improved JP track? Maybe because it's friggn pointless?

As I recall, an exception is the 5.1 channel mix on the El-Hazard AC-3 LD boxset. For whatever reason, instead of remixing the original audio stems, they brought the voice cast back into the studio & re-recorded everything.

There are some cases where a new English dub is all to the good. Have you ever listened to the dub on the ADV "Gunsmith Cats" LDs? I wanted to poke my eardrums out with a pencil within the first thirty seconds. "Ah'm Minnie Mae!"

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 02:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I rarely watch dubs. Yesterday I watched Totoro with my son, the Fox dub from Ghibli ga Ippai. For some reason I really like that one. The "JAL" dub of Porco Rosso in the same set though...not good! Why is Mr Piccolo the only guy with an outrageous Italiano Maximus accent in a movie where the majority of the cast is Italian!? Usually we just watch stuff raw. Language barriers don't bother kids with three word vocabularies, only adults care about such things.

I usually watch Ghost in the Shell dubbed, although most/all of those things are these sorts of US/EU/JP co-ventures with the US actors being far more involved (and retained) than a typical "10 years after" dub like Ranma or Dragonball. Those are the really pointless ones. Even the *way* they are recorded is messed up. Voices are way too clear and on top. I assume they are trying to match levels with the original, but that's not a good idea.

Last edited by signofzeta on 09 Jul 2018, 21:35, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 05:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

kt7000 wrote:
I was reading here that the only to watch an original cut of the MD Geist OVA https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=791&page=22 is to get the 1992 VHS release.

Does the exclusive content from the VHS version of MD Geist also exist on the LD release? M.D. Geist (1986) [78C59-6145]

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I would imagine the US LD release of MD Geist would be the original cut as well...

M.D. Geist (1986) [ID2235CT]

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 06:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In the episode Interlude, the "Patlabor OVA 2" contains a so good mock-tv commercial about Hi-bias metal particle Cassettes....

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 07:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Gundam Formula F-91 (1991) [BELL-449]
This is the complete version with additional scenes to the theatrical version.

If this is true then that would mean there are almost 15 minutes of additional scenes in this release which haven't been released on DVD and Blu-ray. Can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 18:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Can you confirm the running times of the BR and DVD? Where exactly does the 15 minutes estimate come from and did that person include all the comercials and such on this disc?

I have this disc and it’s the only way I’ve ever seen F91. My assumption was that the new stuff was finished between the roadshow and LD releases and that it would all be included in every subsequent version.

It’s a huge deal to add 15 minutes to an animated movie that was just made. It’s not really done, basically ever. It’s possible some cuts weren’t finished in time before the theatrical one and they made a final cut of what they had and kept working on the other scene which were done in time for the LD. I’d assume they are short detailed action tidbits with no needed dialogue. That’s just a guess. I’ve wondered what the difference was between the theater and LD versions before but I didn’t wonder very hard since this movie is kind of a legendary failure in a lot of ways and the one thing it had no problem doing already was consuming time, if you know what I mean. The animation is terrific it’s just...most of the other things people don’t care about. When I was first old enough to go traveling for my anime hobby and spending serious money this was the newest movie out but still people very rarely talked about it. Char’s Counterattack was still “the” Gundam thing.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 18:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I thought I would add something here...Nausicaa of the Valley or Wind was the first film to have the World Wildlife Fund logo in the beginning. The round panda one that says WWF. I think there is at least one other movie with the endorsement but I think it’s a documentary or something. Nausicaa was the only fiction with the endorsement, maybe it still is.

Anyway, since they were made from theatrical prints Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind) (1984) [98LX-1] and Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind) (1984) [98LXA-1] have it. It’s not on the BR or the DVD in any region (that I know of...)

Last edited by signofzeta on 10 Feb 2019, 23:30, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 20:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Can you confirm the running times of the BR and DVD? Where exactly does the 15 minutes estimate come from and did that person include all the comercials and such on this disc?

I have this disc and it’s the only way I’ve ever seen F91. My assumption was that the new stuff was finished between the roadshow and LD releases and that it would all be included in every subsequent version.

It’s a huge deal to add 15 minutes to an animated movie that was just made. It’s not really done, basically ever. It’s possible some cuts weren’t finished in time before the theatrical one and they made a final cut of what they had and kept working on the other scene which were done in time for the LD. I’d assume they are short detailed action tidbits with no needed dialogue. That’s just a guess. I’ve wondered what the difference was between the theater and LD versions before but I didn’t wonder very hard since this movie is kind of a legendary failure in a lot of ways and the one thing it had no problem doing already was consuming time, if you know what I mean. The animation is terrific it’s just...most of the other things people don’t care about. When I was first old enough to go traveling for my anime hobby and spending serious money this was the newest movie out but still people very rarely talked about it. Char’s Counterattack was still “the” Gundam thing.

The BD says 118 minutes. I haven't opened it yet since I'm still rewatching Zeta but all the other run times have been correct.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 22:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Granted only 4 volumes made it to LD, but when the series was re-released by Media Blasters on DVD, they recorded a new dub. I think the new dub is a more accurate translation than the old LA Hero dub. But the LA Hero dub sounded a little more kitschy to me which I liked.

"TOGETHER! ALLEGIANCE OR DEATH! BIG FIRE!!!!!"

:lol:

I never watched the dub, but I recall the Japanese version had two versions of this in the intro as well, one was a bit more toned down and sounded less excited than the other.

Post subject: Re: Do Certain Anime LD's co ntain exclusive Features & Cont
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 00:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

The BD says 118 minutes. I haven't opened it yet since I'm still rewatching Zeta but all the other run times have been correct.

I found these DVD and Blu-ray releases that have a 126 minute running time
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AC%E3%8 ... gundam+f91
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A9%9F%E5%8 ... gundam+f91
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A9%9F%E5%8 ... gundam+f91

Is the Blu-ray with the 118 min running time an English dub release?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It has Japanese audio as well but it is the US release. I will open it and check the runtime, sometimes anime run times are off in either direction oddly enough.

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next