It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:40

Page 3 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the worst anime you've ever seen?
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 03:02 
Note: if you REALLY are following the mission statement of this thread to the letter of the law, then yes technically my post could be categorized as misplaced. So I am wrong for that. But at the same time, it is also possible to share a different perspective or details for someone in a little friendlier manner:D

But it's all good man. And yes, I agree MD Geist is 'slightly' worse than A-ko :P

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 05:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

was "THE VENUS WARS" ever mentioned?

i wouldn't go so far as to claim it as anything close to "The Worst Anime i've Ever Seen"
but i do find it singularly irksome, as it could have, -SHOULD HAVE- been SO much better than it ended up being.

i mean, the entire concept could have been smashingly good,
and with one of the very best ED CREDITS songs i've personally ever heard anywhere,
this feature length Anime film, again, could have, -SHOULD HAVE- ended up as one of the Greatest all-time Anime Classics,
rather than some long forgotten big-budget late-80's flop.

Personally, i really, REALLY WANTED TO LOVE THIS MOVIE, even if for nothing else than the strength of this single song alone;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYs42TTz5Ds

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 07:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What exactly was your disappointment in The Venus Wars?
I thought it was pretty well done, overall.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 08:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Again, I can't agree. Venus Wars is amazing. I keep thinking someone's going to say Totoro next.

BTW, not that I place a lot of weight on this, but at Rotten Tomatoes Project A-ko is sitting at %81, not bad for an otaku freak show with borderline pedophilic plot, especially since Akira is sitting at %87 and that movie is almost universally loved by anyone who will take it seriously.

For the record, while I like Otomo's other stuff, I don't really like Akira at all. Its not bad, its great, I just hate it for personal reasons. Evangelion is another one I despise but everyone else loves or if they hate it they hate because think its too fancy pants for its own good, whereas I hate it because its nihilistic with no class, the robots are stupid, and it was popular enough to ruin anime with its influence. These are all valid reasons for me to hate something, but not to condemn it critically. Akira is genuinly amazing, and Eva...well, Eva is nowhere near as good but its certainly not dubbed Guyver...even though I would personally rather watch dubbed Guyver because its bad enough to entertain me more.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 22:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

TOTORO, like every other GHIBLI film i've seen thus far, is nothing short of Magnificent.

i dunno, i guess my beef with VENUS WARS was that i had felt that the story could have been told better.
i don't know, it HAS been some years now since i saw it last, perhaps i need to see it again to see if i still feel that way about it.
perhaps i was in a bit of a mood or something at the time, i do not remember...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 00:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I was not a fan of the show "Betterman." A super hero that eats flowers to get his powers? Lame. Also the show put me to sleep...and it wasn't because the show aired on TechTV at 11pm. I tried watching it a few years later and still didn't care.

Pani Poni Dash, mostly because of the translation. The Japanese humor didn't appeal to me.

Digi Charat.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 09:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tgotr wrote:
I was not a fan of the show "Betterman." A super hero that eats flowers to get his powers? Lame. Also the show put me to sleep...and it wasn't because the show aired on TechTV at 11pm. I tried watching it a few years later and still didn't care.

Pani Poni Dash, mostly because of the translation. The Japanese humor didn't appeal to me.

Digi Charat.

Wow, you just won jackpot.
Three shows I absolutely love are the worst animes you've ever seen?
I'd probably kill to have Digi Charat and Pani Poni on LD, and I am very happy I have Betterman on LD.
We'll be really good buddies.
I can feel it.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 21:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I should change the name of the thread to "The Best Anime Someone Else Has Ever Seen".

Someone just needs to add a few more classics, Galactic Railroad, Gundam I-III, Nausicaa, Crusher Joe, Memories...

As for The Venus Wars' story, yeah, it's impossible to follow. How is that an issue for an anime fan? I can't tell you wth is going on in many of my favorite movies. That's honestly a huge part of the draw for me. I guess 90s kids have never had to figure out that stuff on their own before, with dubs and forums and stuff we have an explaination for everything now, aparently at the cost of being able to enjoy the unexplainable.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 21:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yes, a great many Anime and films out there are indeed quite enjoyable to take in on a plainly Visceral level...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 22:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The story of "The Venus Wars" makes a great deal more sense if you're familiar with the astronomical fact of the very slow, retrograde rotation of Venus. During the course of the year, the planet only experiences 1.9 solar days (and the Sun rises in the west!) — Hiro's description of his parents' plantation relies on this. Note also that the last scene is in the shadow of an oxygen factory. The tension between Ishtar & Aphrodia is all centered around the progressive failure of the terraforming project, as a result of which, what was expected to become a new world for humanity is remaining intractably barren & inhospitable.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 06:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ouch, with minimal anime experience under the belt, perhaps I should refrain from commenting herein. Especially since I found Project A-Ko battle One Grey Side and Battle Two - Blue Side entertaining.
Still a very informative thread finding out whats hot and whats not along with the rationale "why" that went with to boot.

Thank you signofzeta, invigorating to the last.

Great thread here mates......

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 20:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

publius wrote:
The story of "The Venus Wars" makes a great deal more sense if you're familiar with the astronomical fact of the very slow, retrograde rotation of Venus. During the course of the year, the planet only experiences 1.9 solar days (and the Sun rises in the west!) — Hiro's description of his parents' plantation relies on this. Note also that the last scene is in the shadow of an oxygen factory. The tension between Ishtar & Aphrodia is all centered around the progressive failure of the terraforming project, as a result of which, what was expected to become a new world for humanity is remaining intractably barren & inhospitable.

Oh yeah, that! I forgot that %90 of 80s otaku were as much nerds for science as they were nerds for anime. The number of scifi concepts that exist in OG Gundam that are critical to the story but never explained are innumerable but not an issue for people who were geeks for space exploration in general, aeronautics, Star Trek, 2001, etc. The way colonies work, how atmosphere is contained, how they deal with zero G, it's all taken as read for my generation.

Time spent staring at cartoon panties is time not spent reading Science...or at least Nova.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 07:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Man that is one l o n g day on Venus .......

Things get weird with Mercury as well. One year is 88 "days" on earth yet one 'Solar' day on Mercury is 176 earth "days" !
In contrast to that,one sidereal day on Mercury is 58.6 earth days ......
Quite a prankster of a planet.
No wonder the "messenger" of the Gods in days of yore ........

Mars day is closest to ours at approx. 24 hours and 39 minutes with a sidereal orbit being 686.9 days compared to good 'ole earth !

It pays to attaché science to fiction eh ?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 01:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In the case of 80s anime, yes. Post Evangelion much of that went away. There is almost no real science or near future scifi in anime anymore.

Except Space Bros, of course, but that's so science it's barely fiction.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 05:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
In the case of 80s anime, yes. Post Evangelion much of that went away. There is almost no real science or near future scifi in anime anymore.

Except Space Bros, of course, but that's so science it's barely fiction.

I can name a few that were made in the last decade (2010 and before):

Steins;Gate (time travel)
Dennou Coil (augmented reality)
Noein (multiverse/interdimensional travel)
Stellvia (effects and aftermath of a supernova that affected Earth)
Twin Spica (astronaut training program)
Zegapain (quantum entanglement)
Planetes (space junk!)

Sadly, that's all I can think of out of the thousands of anime made in the last decade... ^^;

On another note, there was a planetarium show I went to a few years ago that discussed the history of space travel, and the very last point made was the possibility of building colonies in space and sending the excess population there to live, and something about the Earth's governments managing them. Sounds familiar...

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 06:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

"Rocket Girls" is surprisingly hard, to the extent that I was able to predict the climax of one of the later episodes from my knowledge of actual spaceflight technologies.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 17:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Oshimbo Papa from Columbia has to be the worst OVA I have been unfortunate enough to both own and watch. Some of the ugliest drawings ever. So bad they make those fugly Korean "Anime Friend" episodes of Macross look good and horrible excuse for animation that makes 70's Hanna-Barbara look Ghibli quality, and just a s**t "story" all around. Horrible!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 01:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Project A-Ko was one of the big OVAs for me in the early '90s, along with Bubblegum Crisis, Macross II and Gunbuster. Even if you're not a fan of the genre, to say it is bad let alone the worst is ridiculous.

That said I have some pretty kooky taste too. I consider Macross II to be superior to Macross Plus. In fact I don't consider Macross Plus true Macross canon or worthy at all. It's an off-the-shelf OVA with the Macross name tacked on. Macross II however is pure Macross with beautiful mecha designs and Mikimoto on characters as it should be. Story isn't great but it is worthy. These views got me banned from Macross World more than once.!

tasuke wrote:
TOTORO, like every other GHIBLI film i've seen thus far, is nothing short of Magnificent.

He wasn't saying it isn't magnificent.

signofzeta wrote:
In the case of 80s anime, yes. Post Evangelion much of that went away.

Eva is definately the epoch in my anime post-fandom. It all changed after Eva, so many BS shows came after. While I don't hate Eva what came after I lost interest in completely. Macross 7 and the rest of the horrible Macross sequels for example. I thought about getting that new Gundam UC OVA a few years back but then I thought what's the point? It's made by a new generation who are only imitating the time when anime was great.

For me anime ended in 1994.

Last edited by Anonymous on 27 Sep 2016, 10:33, edited 1 time in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 10:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:

i wouldn't go so far as to claim it as anything close to "The Worst Anime i've Ever Seen"
but i do find it singularly irksome, as it could have, -SHOULD HAVE- been SO much better than it ended up being.

Why would one of the best anime films of the 80s be mentioned in thread titled "the worst anime you've ever seen"?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 11:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
tasuke wrote:

Why would one of the best anime films of the 80s be mentioned in thread titled "the worst anime you've ever seen"?

Damn right! Venus Wars is a goddamn classic. I bought the BD from the US recently and watching it again was nothing short of magical. I just wish the Vampir Hunter D BD I watched straight afterwards had looked as beautiful as Venus Wars. D was far too smooth and grain-scrubbed for me. So sick of that.

Page 3 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next